Game Day (Preseason): Suns @ Jazz, Sat 12/12/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns @ Jazz, Sat 12/12/20

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson
Monty thought he played Payne and Carter too much last night Thinks those guys can be better in shorter spurts.
2:01 PM · Dec 13, 2020

Translation- I think some of the new guys like Galloway might be getting his minutes if he doesn’t produce.

I thought Payne was pressing a little too much too and I think the altitude definitely had an effect on their game. I am not worried about Payne but, he has some competition this year and that can only be a good thing for Monty and the Suns.

Ayton’s newfound aggression was nice to see but, it wasn’t really aggression going to the basket, it was him wrestling with Gobert without the ball and it bordered on flagrant. I hope he doesn’t pick up a bunch of tech’s and start to be known as a dirty player. I want more aggression with the ball going to the basket. Maybe he’s just making an intimidayton statement to the league and maybe that’s a good thing.
Lmao. I highly doubt we have to worry about that dude.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson
Monty thought he played Payne and Carter too much last night Thinks those guys can be better in shorter spurts.

Translation- I think some of the new guys like Galloway might be getting his minutes if he doesn’t produce.

I thought Payne was pressing a little too much too and I think the altitude definitely had an effect on their game. I am not worried about Payne but, he has some competition this year and that can only be a good thing for Monty and the Suns.

Ayton’s newfound aggression was nice to see but, it wasn’t really aggression going to the basket, it was him wrestling with Gobert without the ball and it bordered on flagrant. I hope he doesn’t pick up a bunch of tech’s and start to be known as a dirty player. I want more aggression with the ball going to the basket. Maybe he’s just making an intimidayton statement to the league and maybe that’s a good thing.
I think his dribble drives from top of the key into the paint is aggression. It wasn't "I am going to dunk on your head" aggression, but it was forcing action to happen and not something he did much of last year.

And on the comment about Carter and Payne, I agree that was part of the message. But he did play both of them longer than 30 minutes in a high altitude game with not much 5 on 5 scrimmage time before the game. Nobody else even had 25 minutes. Carter played 31.5 minutes, and no other non-starter even got to 20. It wasn't a good decision, especially considering our guard depth (quantity, even if we don't know quality yet).

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:54 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:39 pm
Payne was not...great tonight.
It's funny because I just looked at the box score and was shocked that he had a decent stat line. But watching the game, it was...payneful.
He shot 40% from the field, and 0% from 3. And he was a -20 for the game. I am not sure his stat line is much better than what we got from watching it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nodack wrote:
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

I don't think Payne has much competition in terms of the the other guys taking minutes as backup PG. He needs to run the team and offense, while guys like Moore and Gallo are scorers/shotmakers off the bench. We need him to be solid, and playing 30minutes (hopefully) won't be a regular thing.

Ayton and Gobert have a bit of a history and I like Ayton pushing back a bit, but I also saw some of it as a little fake. Like he's pushing and shoving, but not really angry or sending a message. Just doesn't seem his personality. I want him to be physical, not try and be a tough guy when he's not. And it didn't really extend itself into his actual play. He didn't play angry or do anything differently against Gobert.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Gobert has Ayton's number. Whenever those two guys play, Gobert always really seems to bother Ayton's game and get in his head.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:30 pm
Gobert has Ayton's number. Whenever those two guys play, Gobert always really seems to bother Ayton's game and get in his head.
I think that statement goes for any of the top 10 centers in the league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:42 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
+ Boban.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:54 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:42 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
+ Boban.
OK, maybe *most* centers in the league. Wasn't there a stat that said the opposing center against us outperformed their averages by a good margin? (that might have been just year 1)

Indy

Post by Indy »

WHY NO GAME DAY THREAD!?!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Guess I’ll post this here with no game day thread