Game Day (Preseason): Suns @ Jazz, Mon 12/14/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns @ Jazz, Mon 12/14/20

Post by LazarusLong »

Suns have a surfeit of guards who are more comfortable playing off the ball.
Payne played well in the bubble, but that was then, and this is now.
Galloway after two games, has shot lights out. He's the most impressive (non-Paul) addition so far.
It's early, it's only two preseason games, but still it's something to consider.
What's up for grabs is somebody who can run the offense decently with Paul on the bench.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I learned a new word today. Thanks, Laz!

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

:D ;)
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:30 am
I wouldn't even regard Payne as a PG, more of a scoring guard who can play PG. He could fire in the bubble but it's not like he was dishing out assists. It was a group effort with the 2nd unit passing and hitting shots. It's why I think Saric is a key guy, a "connector" as Monty calls him. He can initiate and take the pressure off those bench guards.
Sure, he’s a scoring pg, but he’s still a pg. I’d define a pg as someone who plays on ball. Ideally you’d want one that is better at creating scoring opportunities for his teammates, but guys like Carter, Galloway, and Moore haven’t even really shown the ability to create scoring opportunities for themselves. Payne can do that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 am
Masturbayton

Ayton had a front row view. He didn't even flinch or even entertain the idea of getting in front of that.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Maybe he just wanted to see Mitchell dunk.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:30 am
I wouldn't even regard Payne as a PG, more of a scoring guard who can play PG. He caught fire in the bubble but it's not like he was dishing out assists. It was a group effort with the 2nd unit passing and hitting shots. It's why I think Saric is a key guy, a "connector" as Monty calls him. He can initiate and take the pressure off those bench guards.
True about Saric. That is why it is so critical he returns to his bubble-self, and not his rest-of-career-self.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:08 pm
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton

Ayton had a front row view. He didn't even flinch or even entertain the idea of getting in front of that.
Unfortunately, it feels like I saw that or something very similar about 3 times last night. Part of it is trying to concentrate on Gobert, and part of it is not concentrating on his responsibilities to protect the rim. I shouldn't be concerned about Ayton and the preseason, but I am concerned about him and the preseason.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton
Unfortunately, it feels like I saw that or something very similar about 3 times last night. Part of it is trying to concentrate on Gobert, and part of it is not concentrating on his responsibilities to protect the rim. I shouldn't be concerned about Ayton and the preseason, but I am concerned about him and the preseason.
That is exactly how I feel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton

Take it easy on him guys this is all new for him

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton

This question needs to be asked of the karbasi; truly, what would be the result if we merged Kelly oubre and DeAndre ayton into a singular being?😇

Cap

Post by Cap »

I’m already starting to regret Split’s sig.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I overreacted yesterday.

I don't know how trading Ayton sometime soon would help this team. I'm just worried about his extension. He continuously looks like big man Andrew Wiggins with each passing game, and contenders can't be paying the third or fourth best guy on the team a max-level salary.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:04 pm
I overreacted yesterday.

I don't know how trading Ayton sometime soon would help this team. I'm just worried about his extension. He continuously looks like big man Andrew Wiggins with each passing game, and contenders can't be paying the third or fourth best guy on the team a max-level salary.
You absolutely can if one of your other 3 are still on a rookie deal, or you are willing to pay the taxes. But all of that assumes he is worth it. And this DA is not worth a 5yr/150M deal. Not even close.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I should've said "don't" instead of "can't", because while possible, neither of those options are available to the Suns or most teams.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton

This question needs to be asked of the karbasi; truly, what would be the result if we merged Kelly oubre and DeAndre ayton into a singular being?😇
Lol. I don’t hate DA like I do KO. I’m just really disappointed he hasn’t improved his approach to the game at all and talks such a big game every time he opens his mouth.

How does he say some Bs about this being the hardest he’s ever worked out this offseason, then gets ripped for being out of shape by his coach?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:28 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton

Lol. I don’t hate DA like I do KO. I’m just really disappointed he hasn’t improved his approach to the game at all and talks such a big game every time he opens his mouth.

How does he say some Bs about this being the hardest he’s ever worked out this offseason, then gets ripped for being out of shape by his coach?
I think his level of "hardest ever" is a little bit different than someone like KG or any of the superstars. He just doesn't know.

Also, do you think that he shoots middies when he plays himself in 2K? I can't recall a player like him that just goes out of his way to avoid contact as much as he does.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton

Yep, I saw it at least one other time.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Masturbayton

I'm starting to think he just says what people tell him. For example, coach probably told him that if he just plays great basketball and doesn't worry about his contract, he will get a great new contract naturally. So, he repeats that back to the media. However, he hasn't taken it to heart. It's just a good sound bite.
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:45 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I'm starting to think he just says what people tell him. For example, coach probably told him that if he just plays great basketball and doesn't worry about his contract, he will get a great new contract naturally. So, he repeats that back to the media. However, he hasn't taken it to heart. It's just a good sound bite.
Beating the dead horse (reviving and then beating) but getting the #1 pick in the draft with Doncic...I've lived with a lot of things as a Suns/sports fan, but damn.