Game Day (Preseason): Lakers @ Suns, Fri 12/18/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Lakers @ Suns, Fri 12/18/20

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:48 pm
Ayton is the most talented big man in the league in the post IMO. His footwork and touch are incredible. Everything with him is desire and aggression.
You could be right.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Ayton is the most talented big man in the league in the post IMO. His footwork and touch are incredible. Everything with him is desire and aggression.
He needs to look shot first every time he touches the ball below the dotted line.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Was it me or did Booker add the step-back? This was the first game of the year I was able to watch.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s done it in the past, just not very often. Maybe he’ll incorporate it more this year.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I've been super busy friends, so I've only been reading the last page of these threads. I did watch the games, though.

Y'all have probably said this stuff, so lemme just say that I totally agree.

The push by Lebron would have been a flagrant if a Sun had pushed a Laker like that.
Devin Booker is not fucking around this season. Not that he ever has, but damn, his conditioning and focus in this short preseason is crazy good.
Bridges and Carter have been really good. I hope they can keep to this level of play when the competition steps it up.
Payne will have his ups and downs, but it looks like Monty is the perfect coach to harness that talent. I think things will be rocky with him, but that he will improve as the season goes on.
I'm expecting a lot of games like this from Chris Paul. I hope I'm wrong.
I still really want another big and another initiator.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
I get that Ayton has unique 2-way potential, but Embiid, KAT, and Jokic are really freaking talented. I get we're not judging this by actual production, but still, I have a hard time saying definitively that Ayton is more talented than any of those guys.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:20 pm
specialsauce wrote:
I get that Ayton has unique 2-way potential, but Embiid, KAT, and Jokic are really freaking talented. I get we're not judging this by actual production, but still, I have a hard time saying definitively that Ayton is more talented than any of those guys.
In the post.

Embiid is extremely overrated IMO.

Jokic is talented as is KAT, but they’re more perimeter oriented for the most part. Aytons footwork and touch is elite. When he actually posts up and does fadeaways or hooks it is a thing of beauty.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:20 am
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:20 pm
specialsauce wrote:
In the post.

Embiid is extremely overrated IMO.

Jokic is talented as is KAT, but they’re more perimeter oriented for the most part. Aytons footwork and touch is elite. When he actually posts up and does fadeaways or hooks it is a thing of beauty.
Jokic takes +60% of his shots in the paint.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Jokic is more talented in a basketball skills sense and savvy than any of those guys. His post moves and IQ are off the charts. To do what he does without the athletic talent is incredible.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I would take him over all of those guys no question.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I don’t deny Jockitch is the better player. I just think DA is the more talented back to the basket player when he actually decides to try. Production is a different story.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Oatmeal wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:41 am
Jokic is more talented in a basketball skills sense and savvy than any of those guys. His post moves and IQ are off the charts. To do what he does without the athletic talent is incredible.

The reason he can do all that is specifically because he doesn't have the athleticism.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

HYPOTHETICALLY!, Ayton is stronger than almost every center, quicker than almost every center, and taller than players that play the center position. In theory, WITH AGGRESSION!, he should be able to overpower/outsize, or out quick any player. That's where MY frustration comes from.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:07 pm
I don’t deny Jockitch is the better player. I just think DA is the more talented back to the basket player when he actually decides to try. Production is a different story.
Jokic is actually the best post-up player in the NBA. Have you watched Ayton post up? The theoretical doesn’t match the actual. To me, he has very few moves when he gets the ball there. No drop-step. Not good at backing players down confidently. It’s turn-and-face, jab-step, middie or the turnaround. The stats bear it out as well.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Can't play in the post if you wont lean in to the defender.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:43 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Jokic is actually the best post-up player in the NBA. Have you watched Ayton post up? The theoretical doesn’t match the actual. To me, he has very few moves when he gets the ball there. No drop-step. Not good at backing players down confidently. It’s turn-and-face, jab-step, middie or the turnaround. The stats bear it out as well.
I disagree. He has a hook shot, a spin move, a fadeaway, and can put it on the floor in traffic. Watch one of his highlight reels from last year. He really can do it all when he wants too. That’s the problem. Hopefully Chris Paul can help him get over the passiveness he has.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:42 pm
Shabazz wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I disagree. He has a hook shot, a spin move, a fadeaway, and can put it on the floor in traffic. Watch one of his highlight reels from last year. He really can do it all when he wants too. That’s the problem. Hopefully Chris Paul can help him get over the passiveness he has.
20 players averaged 4 post ups/game last year. Jokic was 4th in FG% at 53.5% on much higher volume than the 3 above him, without even mentioning his post-passing. Deandre was 18th (44.1%). I don't need to watch the highlight reels. I've watched every post-up possession of his NBA career. He can do it once in a while, but he's not consistent there at all.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:39 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:42 pm
Shabazz wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
20 players averaged 4 post ups/game last year. Jokic was 4th in FG% at 53.5% on much higher volume than the 3 above him, without even mentioning his post-passing. Deandre was 18th (44.1%). I don't need to watch the highlight reels. I've watched every post-up possession of his NBA career. He can do it once in a while, but he's not consistent there at all.
BUT if you watch his highlight reels he shoots 100%.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:39 pm
This is absolutely true. He is money when gets the ball close to the basket while facing it, and the fadeaway truly resembles Ewing, but you are not the best post player when you can't put the ball on the floor and you don't have advanced post moves. The area where Ayton has a case for best in the league among true centers, in my opinion, is his ability to stay in front of people in the perimeter after a switch. Then he is good/very good at other things, and has a chance at greatness, but he needs to use his brain and develop.