Suns News: Week 2 12/28-1/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Week 2 12/28-1/3

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:16 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:23 am
Dallas won, Luka is a generational talent. He’s already better than Trae will ever be.
I'm just thinking about how much we blew that draft when we FINALLY got the number 1 overall pick. Two players that we should have drafted over Ayton. (I personally wouldn't have drafted anybody else in that draft over Ayton.) Doncic is definitely a generational talent that we missed out on. Colangelo would have picked him, I believe (We never have had that dominant center in his prime and it's looking like we still won't). Damn you McD and Sarver!

Ya, I can’t say much though as I was fine with the Ayton pick. I was pretty indecisive though and had Ayton, Luka, and JJJ all at #1 at times on my board. Turns out taking Ayton over Luka was obviously a mistake, even at the time, not just in hindsight, but I think Ayton over Trae is only proving to be a mistake in hindsight.

In a redraft, where does Ayton go? Probably 5th? Maybe 6th?

Luka
Trae
SGA
JJJ
MPJ
Ayton

Would Bridges be next?
I don't care what any of us think or thought at the time. We're not the professionals and don't own the team or make the final decisions. We don't have access to the players to check their psychological state. This is a decision that will mold our future for the next two decades and the Suns' brass blew it big time! There really is no excuse for missing out on a generational talent in this case. Even us armchair point guards (see what I did there?) had Ayton and Doncic neck and neck with probably Doncic in the lead over all. Another board I read preferred Ayton significantly. Shows how astute this Suns board is.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm
Bridges, Mitchell Robinson, and Bagley are all probably right behind him with a chance to pass. Collin Sexton makes the top 10.
Mikal?

I like Robinson, but he’s a notch below Ayton to me. Bagley needs to show he can stay healthy. Sexton is very underrated. He’s kinda suffering from the same thing Booker did. He’s putting up numbers but it’s disregarded because Cleveland sucks. They’ve gotten off to a good start and Sexton is playing well. Will be interesting to see if Cleveland can keep up their good play and how that impacts Sexton’s rep.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:34 pm
Please enlighten me. What is HOV?
Per Googling, it seems to be a nickname that rapper Jay-Z uses to describe himself. I don't understand it, but I guess he sometimes calls himself "J-Hova." So I guess CP3 has connections to Jay-Z and introduced Book to him, and Book enjoyed it? I don't know.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:53 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:29 pm
What does that mean? He can drive in the fast lane now?
Jay-Z I would think
Just a nickname for Jay-Z, people call him HOV

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I always preferred Luka but I could accept selecting Ayton for roster fit. I also didn't expect the gap between them to be this large three years later and that Ayton would show things that made him more similar to AD or KAT than Myles Turner.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I was strongly in the Luka camp, and knew the Suns would take Ayton. So I wasn't too pissed when it happened. But I thought it would be a good battle between the two of them for who was really #1. Now it would be great if Ayton was fighting for #3 or #4. The gap between the two is the size of the grand canyon, and it is only getting wider. Let's hope for an exponential growth in his game this season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:51 pm
I always preferred Luka but I could accept selecting Ayton for roster fit. I also didn't expect the gap between them to be this large three years later and that Ayton would show things that made him more similar to AD or KAT than Myles Turner.
Kinda where I was. I had Ayton and Luka pretty even, but leaned towards Ayton because I thought his skills would compliment Booker more in a more traditional guard/big combo. But that was an antiquated idea, the dual ball handlers with size is a much better duo.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:54 pm
Yeah, I was strongly in the Luka camp, and knew the Suns would take Ayton. So I wasn't too pissed when it happened. But I thought it would be a good battle between the two of them for who was really #1. Now it would be great if Ayton was fighting for #3 or #4. The gap between the two is the size of the grand canyon, and it is only getting wider. Let's hope for an exponential growth in his game this season.
We were so obviously picking Ayton that it kinda killed any discussion. I was pretty split, but knowing we were picking Ayton led me to talk myself into him over Luka a bit.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:54 pm
He's not off to a good start!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The UofA connection and Amare nostalgia certainly didn't help a lot of people subjectively evaluate Ayton.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:59 pm
The UofA connection and Amare nostalgia certainly didn't help a lot of people subjectively evaluate Ayton.
that is a good point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
that is a good point.
Yep, but there were concerns about his aggressiveness before we picked him. That was never a concern with Amare. I do wonder if Ayton was on PEDs while in college and that's what got him in trouble last season too. I'm afraid he might need chemical intervention for his aggressiveness. He has been quite passive this season.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If Ayton was aggressive and tried to impose his will on the game, I think the gap between he and Doncic would be a lot smaller. If you could infuse Amare's soul and aggressiveness into Ayton's body, I think all of would be very happy Suns fans.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Jay-Z I would think
Have you not heard the Christmas miracle of HOV? He returns with Truth, Snowflakes, and Freshness!

These passages from the prophesy (Black Album) should clear things up:
Uh, uh, woo, uh Hov' is back, peace!
Allow me to re-introduce myself
My name is Hov, OH, H-to-the-O-V
I used to move snowflakes by the O-Z
I guess even back then you can call me
CEO of the R-O-C, Hov!
Who you know fresher than Hov'? Riddle me that
The rest of y'all know where I'm lyrically at
Can't none of y'all mirror me back
Yeah, hearin' me rap is like hearin' G Rap in his prime
I'm Young H.O., rap's Grateful Dead
Back to take over the globe, now break bread
I'm in Boeing jets, Global Express
Out the country, but the blueberry still connect
On the low, but the yacht got a triple deck
But when you Young, what the fuck you expect? Yep, yep
Grand openin', grand closin'
Goddamn, your man Hov' cracked the can open again
Who you gon' find doper than him?
With no pen, just draw off inspiration
Soon you gonna see you can't replace him
With cheap imitations for these generations
Nobody truer than H-O-V
And i'm back for more
New Yorks ambassador
Prime Minister back to finish my business up
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Jay-Z I would think
Have you not heard the Christmas miracle of HOV? He returns with Truth, Snowflakes, and Freshness!

These passages from the prophesy (Black Album) should clear things up:
Uh, uh, woo, uh Hov' is back, peace!
Allow me to re-introduce myself
My name is Hov, OH, H-to-the-O-V
I used to move snowflakes by the O-Z
I guess even back then you can call me
CEO of the R-O-C, Hov!
Who you know fresher than Hov'? Riddle me that
The rest of y'all know where I'm lyrically at
Can't none of y'all mirror me back
Yeah, hearin' me rap is like hearin' G Rap in his prime
I'm Young H.O., rap's Grateful Dead
Back to take over the globe, now break bread
I'm in Boeing jets, Global Express
Out the country, but the blueberry still connect
On the low, but the yacht got a triple deck
But when you Young, what the fuck you expect? Yep, yep
Grand openin', grand closin'
Goddamn, your man Hov' cracked the can open again
Who you gon' find doper than him?
With no pen, just draw off inspiration
Soon you gonna see you can't replace him
With cheap imitations for these generations
Nobody truer than H-O-V
And i'm back for more
New Yorks ambassador
Prime Minister back to finish my business up
Can I say that I'm sorry that I asked? :lol:
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:47 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm
Bridges, Mitchell Robinson, and Bagley are all probably right behind him with a chance to pass. Collin Sexton makes the top 10.
Mikal?

I like Robinson, but he’s a notch below Ayton to me. Bagley needs to show he can stay healthy. Sexton is very underrated. He’s kinda suffering from the same thing Booker did. He’s putting up numbers but it’s disregarded because Cleveland sucks. They’ve gotten off to a good start and Sexton is playing well. Will be interesting to see if Cleveland can keep up their good play and how that impacts Sexton’s rep.
Yeah, Mikal. I forgot about Miles.

Those guys are behind Ayton now, but it's up to him if he lets them pass as they build their careers.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I preferred Luka at the time, but only slightly. I remember actually being a little bummed we got the top pick that year, and would have loved #2 instead just to make the choice easier. I didn't expect Luka to become this good, this quickly, but Ayton still has so much potential so hopefully it won't be an MJ/Bowie type miss.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:16 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:01 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
that is a good point.
Yep, but there were concerns about his aggressiveness before we picked him. That was never a concern with Amare. I do wonder if Ayton was on PEDs while in college and that's what got him in trouble last season too. I'm afraid he might need chemical intervention for his aggressiveness. He has been quite passive this season.
There were so many articles about how quickly he transformed his body.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Can I say that I'm sorry that I asked? :lol:
:lol:

You might actually like The Grey Album, at least from a musically academic standpoint. A DJ named Dangermouse mixed the vocals from Jay-Z'a Black Album with the music from the Beatles White Album. I haven't listened to that in a few years, so I'm off to re-listen.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

BigLewy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:25 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I preferred Luka at the time, but only slightly. I remember actually being a little bummed we got the top pick that year, and would have loved #2 instead just to make the choice easier. I didn't expect Luka to become this good, this quickly, but Ayton still has so much potential so hopefully it won't be an MJ/Bowie type miss.
I bet we would have taken Bagley with the #2 if Ayton went first.