Around the League: Week 2 12/28-1/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: Week 2 12/28-1/3

Post by INFORMER »

Actually, Mori, that would be more on par with the Kelly Oubre treatment.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The more games the Clippers play, the worse that Luke Kennard extension looks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:22 pm
The more games the Clippers play, the worse that Luke Kennard extension looks.
Agreed. He looks overmatched out there. I liked him but not at that money.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:18 pm
What a bust he's turning to be! I bet Mavs fans are shitting all over him and saying he sucks, just like Suns fans do every time Ayton has a few bad games. That's how this works, right?

Lol. Dallas is playing him wrong. He would be better alongside another ballhandler/ playmaker to mix it up on offense. Why the flip everyone wants a James Harden is beyond me.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Playing Doncic like that has worked to this point.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m not super impressed with the roster they built around him. Other than KP, who can’t be counted on, it’s a bunch of role players. Carlisle does a good job maximizing them, but I think that group has a limited ceiling.

carey

Post by carey »

I don’t think Doncic is quite in shape yet. He looks a step slower than last year to me.

In regards to Mori’s comment I will say I never watch Doncic and think he looks lost out there like I do sometimes watching Ayton. I think his offense is super ugly yet it’s effective. Do you think the same applies to Ayton? I do not.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I think Luka just needs to shake off the rust and get back into shape. I don’t think Mori was fully serious about his comments, but the difference is Luka has played at an all-nba level in the past and this start is clearly not his norm. Ayton’s slow start is unfortunately a believable and even expected result.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Luka is a great talent. I was on the “I Want us to take him but sincerely didn’t think he would be this good, this fast” group. I was a true believer in Bender as well.

But I don’t feel validates neither horrified for how things had turned out. Yes, we are stuck with Ferdinand the bull, but he is not a bust, we just need to develop him from that angle, a David Robinson light is still within reach.

Regarding Luka, he plays with a joy and energy that is no wonder he is the current league darling, but he also is getting a huge Star treatment, Not to be fatalist, but not sure if things would have developed the same way here. Nash became a league darling as well and still was mugged time and time again without all that referee colaboration.

Linsanity comes to my mind, altough Luka it’s of course head, shoulders and hip above Jeremy, but just to ilustrate how easy is to inflate even an average player with referee help. And Luka would not be this good without that much protection.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If y'all think Mavs fans aren't criticizing the offense at great length over Luka's shooting #s, you might be forgetting that they are sports fans. Of course they are over reacting.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:56 pm
Playing Doncic like that has worked to this point.
They don't have a championship, and last season they were the worst team in the NBA in the last 5 minutes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They also had the most efficient offense in the history of the nba.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

By what stat? I'm both curious and skeptical, as I think advanced stats generally don't mean what they appear to mean.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Points per 100 possessions

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:43 am
Luka is a great talent. I was on the “I Want us to take him but sincerely didn’t think he would be this good, this fast” group. I was a true believer in Bender as well.

But I don’t feel validates neither horrified for how things had turned out. Yes, we are stuck with Ferdinand the bull, but he is not a bust, we just need to develop him from that angle, a David Robinson light is still within reach.

Regarding Luka, he plays with a joy and energy that is no wonder he is the current league darling, but he also is getting a huge Star treatment, Not to be fatalist, but not sure if things would have developed the same way here. Nash became a league darling as well and still was mugged time and time again without all that referee colaboration.

Linsanity comes to my mind, altough Luka it’s of course head, shoulders and hip above Jeremy, but just to ilustrate how easy is to inflate even an average player with referee help. And Luka would not be this good without that much protection.
The whole course of the Suns might have changed had we picked Luka. We probably don't have Monty Williams as our head coach right now. Probably still have Luka's coach, Kokoskov. Maybe McD is still here. I like this current reality and trajectory. Maybe this is the healthy way to look at it. I'm going to try to be more tolerant of Ayton's shortcomings and be happy with what we have.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:00 am
Points per 100 possessions
Well, I won't try to throw shade at that. :lol:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:48 am
Ya I think Luka just needs to shake off the rust and get back into shape. I don’t think Mori was fully serious about his comments, but the difference is Luka has played at an all-nba level in the past and this start is clearly not his norm. Ayton’s slow start is unfortunately a believable and even expected result.
I was basically trolling. It's clear that Luka is having a much better NBA career than Ayton, but in general I think we should chill out with reactions to a few games at the start of the season. Luka will find his way this year and likely Ayton will, too.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:01 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:43 am

The whole course of the Suns might have changed had we picked Luka. We probably don't have Monty Williams as our head coach right now. Probably still have Luka's coach, Kokoskov. Maybe McD is still here. I like this current reality and trajectory. Maybe this is the healthy way to look at it. I'm going to try to be more tolerant of Ayton's shortcomings and be happy with what we have.
You are onto something big, talking about how different this team’s state would be. Sometimes I speculate that bringing Koskokov was a two step plan to lure Doncic and perhaps Dragic into the team, not a bad idea, it would have been a tremendous pairing. But year one with Coachkokov was so bad in so many fronts that our new FO “consultant” decided to immediately let him go, but anticipate that it would alienate Luka just a mere weeks after arriving. That, paired with the possibility of drafting a generational center (at the time, taking Ayton was the “sure thing to do”, would write our fate that draft day.

So, drafting Luka would have kept Koskokov in place, this probably turning Luka de facto into our new face, but not sure that Booker would have been mature enough to handle it at the moment. Right now, two years later, he is still finding some groove with CP3, but between Monty, CO3 being a childhood idol and two years of humbling losing, Booker have to ve a very different person and player. McD still here, enjoying borrowed time because the Luka show turned us into some relevant topic, would be perhaps the worst outcome, because even with Jones shortcomings, is absolutely clear the difference between a team builder and a NBA2k junkie collecting assets. We have an identity, on less than two years after Jones’ arrival, and that included a lot of house cleaning.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mmm hmm. It was only a matter of time.
"Be Legendary."