Around the League: Week 2 12/28-1/3

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 2 12/28-1/3

Post by carey »

It's always interesting to me to see who gets on national tv & how often. The very bad Warriors are on twice this week even though they suck. Zion star power continues & of course Giannis & LeBron are on twice this week as well.

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Memphis @ Brooklyn 7:30 PM EST NBATv, Portland @ L.A. Lakers 10:00 PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: Milwaukee @ Miami 7:30 PM EST TNT, New Orleans @ Phoenix 10:00 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Milwaukee @ Miami 7:30 PM EST NBATv, Portland @ L.A. Clippers 10:00 PM EST NBATv
Thursday: Philadelphia @ Orlando 6:30 PM ESTNBATv, Phoenix @ Utah 9:00 PM EST NBATv
Friday: L.A. Lakers @ San Antonio 8:00 PM EST NBATv, Portland @ Golden State 10:30 PM EST NBATv
Saturday: Sacramento @ Houston 5:00 PM EST NBATv, Toronto @ New Orleans 7:30 PM EST NBATv
Sunday: Boston @ Detroit 3:00 PM EST NBATv, Washington @ Brooklyn 6:00 PM EST NBATv, Portland @ Golden State 8:30 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

Brooklyn Nets' Spencer Dinwiddie to have surgery for partially torn ACL - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/306 ... y-torn-acl

Minnesota Timberwolves' Karl-Anthony Towns to miss games with dislocated left wrist - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/306 ... left-wrist

NBA.com Power Rankings week 2 - https://www.nba.com/news/powerrankings-2020-21-week-2
#8 Phoenix Suns
Record: 2-1
Pace: 101.7 (19) OffRtg: 106.2 (19) DefRtg: 101.3 (4) NetRtg: +4.9 (10)

The sustainability of Chris Paul’s clutchness was tested early this season, with each of the Suns’ first two games going down to the wire. Both Paul (he got to his spot) and Devin Booker (same spot) hit big jumpers to beat the Mavs on Wednesday, but three nights later, the Suns were one stop shy of giving themselves a real chance in a game in which they were outscored, 85-56, in the paint or at the free throw line.

It’s early, but so far, this has been a jump-shooting team. The Suns rank 28th both in the percentage of their shots that have come in the restricted area (24%) and in free throw rate (18.8 attempts per 100 shots from the field). Only one of their 17 clutch field goal attempts has come in the restricted area. They didn’t need clutch time against the Kings on Sunday, because their second unit did get a bunch of layups late in the third quarter.

Week 2: vs. NOP, @ UTA, @ DEN, vs. LAC
Ringer power rankings by the face melter KOC - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/12/2 ... servations
#8 Phoenix Suns | PR: 10
Mikal Bridges, turning up the scoring
The internal development of young guys like Deandre Ayton, Cam Johnson, and Bridges can take the Suns from a fun playoff team to a serious contender. The latter is playing the best basketball of his career. He’s still defending with ferocity and Gumby length, just as he did all of last season. But he’s also looking slick off the dribble, showing more advanced elements to his game.

The Suns will go only as far as Devin Booker and Chris Paul take them. But their ceiling could be even higher if Bridges routinely has games where he’s dropping over 20 points, like he did on Sunday.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 2 12/28-1/3

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:17 am
Ringer power rankings by the face melter KOC
???

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 am
carey wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:17 am
Ringer power rankings by the face melter KOC
???
I am thrilled to be the one to share this with you.

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

I had no idea. I am thrilled you shared it too!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's exactly how I imagined KOC's guitar face would look.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I saw the comments here and obviously on Twitter regarding his contract and his bubble numbers were a modest 12-13ppg / 5-6apg and clearly Magic thought he is coming along hence the contract. As one might figure with my Cam J, Mikal and even throw in Payne there too as he a lottery pick also, I'm that guy always rooting for the player to show their potential and silence the doubters. well Augustin is gone now so keys really been handed to him, some nice highlights to go with these stats too so good start for him

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Kele has been good. I kind of understood the pushback by some people when his contract extension figures were announced because he's only hit this next level of production for a short time, but that's a more than fair deal for him if he maintains this current form. It's a steal of a contract if he goes up another level, which I don't think is entirely impossible.

He's always defended well and his shooting has gone from a nightmare to above average. He just needs to develop a 3 point shot and be a better decision maker as the lead guard right now. Considering the low point he's come from, I'd put my money on him improving those parts of his game in the future.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, outside of the 3pt shot, Fultz is really good at everything. 3/51 seemed like a big commitment for someone who has his shot history though. But ya, if he keeps doing what he’s doing now, that’s a solid deal. Could turn into a steal if the shot ever finds its way back.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Good for Fultz. His NBA story was a sad one. I really wanted to see him succeed in the right situation. The Magic are giving him a big vote of confidence by signing him to that contract and giving him those minutes.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Poku is a sight to behold. The Thunder in general have a lot of fascinating players.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

4 steals and an uncalled travel on 5 straight possessions, haha

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:43 pm
I feel like the old man screaming at a cloud meme when I watch games and point out all the traveling violations not called now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:43 pm
I feel like the old man screaming at a cloud meme when I watch games and point out all the traveling violations not called now.
it frustrates me so much. when i was a kid, if you caught a pass and did that slight shuffle guys do to get in rhythm before taking a jump shot, it was a travel.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Jackson got a ton of usage with Griffin and Rose out. That's not going to happen most nights, and he occasionally put up numbers like that when he was young and raw in Phoenix because it was a similar situation.

I watched some of that game and he's a little better, certainly more under control, but I don't think he's on the verge of becoming a reliable starter. Good for him that he's not a total bust and out of the league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Not upset that he’s gone. Just upset that we gave up assets to move him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I won’t be surprised if he turns into something good. He was always very talented. Think his off the court stuff had more to do with letting him go than his on court play.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

wow does Dinwiddie do the team speeches ? powerful and motivational msg here, great mindset to have post injury

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Josh Jackson still reminds me of Stephen Jackson. He will have a better 2nd half of his career once he grows up.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan