Around the League: Week 4 1/11-1/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Around the League: Week 4 1/11-1/17

Post by Drewsprocket »

They just gotta return a bubble or at least a modified version of it. Take a month off and do a bubble otherwise this just won’t work. These players are flying everywhere around the states with too much exposure. This new variant isn’t messing about. Look at LA. That’s soon to become every US city in 2 mos.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I get that ultimately it is about the playoffs and winning a championship, but so far Jrue Holiday is averaging 15 ppg and 5 apg. That's worth George Hill and a gazillion draft picks?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 pm
They just gotta return a bubble or at least a modified version of it. Take a month off and do a bubble otherwise this just won’t work. These players are flying everywhere around the states with too much exposure. This new variant isn’t messing about. Look at LA. That’s soon to become every US city in 2 mos.
A person is dying from it in AZ every 11 minutes, give or take.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:55 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 pm
A person is dying from it in AZ every 11 minutes, give or take.
Geez. Yea. I lost a really great uncle in phx last week, tested positive and died sometime that night. My grandfather last summer to covid. Basketball is a welcome distraction up to a point. But jetsetting around, pretending to dodge mass infection feels like just nonsense.

Indy

Post by Indy »

sorry for your loss Drew

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Thanks Indy. With any luck things will turn around and better minds will lead us through. And Ayton will develop a work ethic.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The bubble worked great. Nobody is going to want to stay separated in a hotel for a year though. Basketball and sports in general is a huge moral boost for a lot of Americans suffering through Covid.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... -pandemic/
“Let’s say we get 75 percent, 80 percent of the population vaccinated,” Fauci said. “If we do that, if we do it efficiently enough over the second quarter of 2021, by the time we get to the end of the summer, i.e., the third quarter, we may actually have enough herd immunity protecting our society that as we get to the end of 2021, we can approach very much some degree of normality that is close to where we were before.”

On what level are NBA players on the vaccinate list? Summer for 75% of the population? Maybe pro sports could get the vaccine maybe after the front line workers, people and people with conditions that put them at risk first. So March, April maybe?

All-Star break: March 5-10, 2021. Second half of regular season: March 11-May 16, 2021. Play-in tournament: May 18-21, 2021. NBA playoffs: May 22-July 22, 2021.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:08 am
The bubble worked great. Nobody is going to want to stay separated in a hotel for a year though. Basketball and sports in general is a huge moral boost for a lot of Americans suffering through Covid.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... -pandemic/
“Let’s say we get 75 percent, 80 percent of the population vaccinated,” Fauci said. “If we do that, if we do it efficiently enough over the second quarter of 2021, by the time we get to the end of the summer, i.e., the third quarter, we may actually have enough herd immunity protecting our society that as we get to the end of 2021, we can approach very much some degree of normality that is close to where we were before.”

On what level are NBA players on the vaccinate list? Summer for 75% of the population? Maybe pro sports could get the vaccine maybe after the front line workers, people and people with conditions that put them at risk first. So March, April maybe?

All-Star break: March 5-10, 2021. Second half of regular season: March 11-May 16, 2021. Play-in tournament: May 18-21, 2021. NBA playoffs: May 22-July 22, 2021.
It has been 5 weeks and we have injected 11M vaccines. We need 660,000,000 to vaccinate everyone in the US (we need 2 shots each). At this rate, we need 300 more weeks, or 5.75 years. Meaning we would get to everyone around the beginning of 2026.

Even if the new admin can do a much better job (I think nearly any sane admin could) and get 10x as many people vaccinated per week, that puts us at 30 more weeks. Or the end of August. And that is assuming it ramps up on Wednesday.

I think the numbers the new admin are throwing around (without much to back it up) are 100M doses in the first 100 days. So basically a million per day. That means we need 660 days to get everyone, or until October 2022.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Not everyone needs to be vaccinated, 65 to 70 percent of the population is enough to reach herd immunity.
So I guess by the end of this summer the US gets rid of Covid 19.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Indy

Post by Indy »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:11 am
Not everyone needs to be vaccinated, 65 to 70 percent of the population is enough to reach herd immunity.
So I guess by the end of this summer the US gets rid of Covid 19.
If it is going to take 660 weeks to 100%, it will take 435 weeks to get 67%. End of this summer is 400 weeks sooner than that.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

There are times where I am thankful I'm not good with numbers.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

We will see what happens Indy.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:15 am

I can and I will! 8-)

I was so pleased to see a new Steph commercial pointing this out too.
that is funny, because I read that commercial exactly the opposite. the know-it-all reporter was telling this person how to pronounce his own damn name! The arrogance!
We read it the same. It's just that Steph's parents are wrong. ;)
I have a personal connection this. I have a very basic name that nearly everyone in the US knows how to pronounce (Chris). But when I was in high school my Spanish teacher had us all go by our names as if we were pronouncing them in Spanish. So instead of 'kris' it was now 'krees' with the long E for the I. I was like "no, my name is pronounced this way, regardless of where I live or what language you are speaking." My rationale wasn't appreciated.
:) Mine is personal as well. The average person doesn't know that Stephen and Steven are pronounced the same in English. (99% of the time, Steph excluded) I am constantly called "stefan" on the phone by strangers.
So, your personal connection is during one Spanish class. Boo hoo. Mine has been lifelong so forgive me if I don't sympathize with you. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:46 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am

that is funny, because I read that commercial exactly the opposite. the know-it-all reporter was telling this person how to pronounce his own damn name! The arrogance!
We read it the same. It's just that Steph's parents are wrong. ;)
I have a personal connection this. I have a very basic name that nearly everyone in the US knows how to pronounce (Chris). But when I was in high school my Spanish teacher had us all go by our names as if we were pronouncing them in Spanish. So instead of 'kris' it was now 'krees' with the long E for the I. I was like "no, my name is pronounced this way, regardless of where I live or what language you are speaking." My rationale wasn't appreciated.
:) Mine is personal as well. The average person doesn't know that Stephen and Steven are pronounced the same in English. (99% of the time, Steph excluded) I am constantly called "stefan" on the phone by strangers.
So, your personal connection is during one Spanish class. Boo hoo. Mine has been lifelong so forgive me if I don't sympathize with you. ;)
In fact, after this discussion, I was on my Aetna insurance website and they had a "personal" video for me about my benefits. First words out of the video in clear English, "Hello, Stephen" pronounced stefan. They asked for feedback after the video and boy did I give it to them. I told them they needed to read Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence people. Best way to turn somebody off is to mispronounce their name and they did it right out of the gate to boot.

The funny thing is that my 401k provider also has similar personalized videos and the first time I watched mine, it made the same mistake. Months later, they had a new one for me but this time they pronounced it correctly.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Nodack wrote:
I don't think they would need to be in a bubble for a year. I would have liked to see something like one month in, 2 weeks out, and have something like OTAs (like in the NFL) during those 2 weeks.

Set up 4-5 regional bubbles and rotate the team through them throughout the season.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm
We will see what happens Indy.
yep. I am hoping they can get to the original goal of 3.5M of doses each day, 7 days a week. That would get us to 70% immunity by the end of summer.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:00 pm
Nodack wrote:
I don't think they would need to be in a bubble for a year. I would have liked to see something like one month in, 2 weeks out, and have something like OTAs (like in the NFL) during those 2 weeks.

Set up 4-5 regional bubbles and rotate the team through them throughout the season.
I can see that.

I still haven’t seen any indication on when the NBA might be vaccinated. Maybe March? A complete non medical guess. If they all get vaccinated they should be able be ok without a bubble after that. Maybe add fans or some fans for playoffs?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow, Knicks crushing the Celtics.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Now a 7th Wiz is COVID+

Superbone

Post by Superbone »