Around the League: Week 4 1/11-1/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Around the League: Week 4 1/11-1/17

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:08 am
So Kyrie was supposedly attending a birthday party which is why he hasn't played. Interesting to see how rookie head coach Steven Nash handles this.
I worked at Burger King in HS. The first night I was manager I was tested. Hands from the front reaching into the fries and munching on some. People eating food they aren’t supposed to in front of me. It’s Nodack and he will let us get away with whatever we want.

Many years later I was at a corporate gig in a band I played in well over a decade. I was named band leader while the leader was out of state because I was the music director. Oh, it’s Nodack, we can do whatever we want now. People took breaks when they felt like it. I turn around and the horns are gone. The rest of the band goes on break after a bit and I am forced to deal with a client that wants a DJ on break, not my cd with a bunch of dance music. I get that done and go looking for the band in the foyer and find them all with alcoholic drinks they got at the bar of the corporate gig. That’s a huge no no if the regular leader is there but, since Nodack is in charge we can do anything. The agency asked the drummer the next day how things went and he said I didn’t call the right tunes in the right order. I totally prepared for that gig, made a set list for everyone and we always play the same tunes in the same order like a medley forever. I wrote the charts! I felt like I was stabbed in the back. The leader came back early because he said I couldn’t be trusted to run the band in his absence.

Nash is a rookie coach. He will be tested to see what they can get away with. He is coaching some serious egos too so good luck to him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 pm
Indy wrote:
So Kyrie was supposedly attending a birthday party which is why he hasn't played. Interesting to see how rookie head coach Steven Nash handles this.
I worked at Burger King in HS. The first night I was manager I was tested. Hands from the front reaching into the fries and munching on some. People eating food they aren’t supposed to in front of me. It’s Nodack and he will let us get away with whatever we want.

Many years later I was at a corporate gig in a band I played in well over a decade. I was named band leader while the leader was out of state because I was the music director. Oh, it’s Nodack, we can do whatever we want now. People took breaks when they felt like it. I turn around and the horns are gone. The rest of the band goes on break after a bit and I am forced to deal with a client that wants a DJ on break, not my cd with a bunch of dance music. I get that done and go looking for the band in the foyer and find them all with alcoholic drinks they got at the bar of the corporate gig. That’s a huge no no if the regular leader is there but, since Nodack is in charge we can do anything. The agency asked the drummer the next day how things went and he said I didn’t call the right tunes in the right order. I totally prepared for that gig, made a set list for everyone and we always play the same tunes in the same order like a medley forever. I wrote the charts! I felt like I was stabbed in the back. The leader came back early because he said I couldn’t be trusted to run the band in his absence.

Nash is a rookie coach. He will be tested to see what they can get away with. He is coaching some serious egos too so good luck to him.
He might have the toughest coaching job in the NBA this season. He won't get any credit if the team wins, and there's a huge chance Harden and Kyrie just decide they don't feel like playing.

But Mike D is there, and he has always been able to connect to players. Nash was always known for his work ethic. I hope he does well.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Saw the Rockets-Spurs last night and the Rockets still have talent on the roster. It's not like Harden left a team of scrubs and now they're in full rebuild. Wall didn't play last night but with him, Dipo, plus young guys like Sterling Brown and Wood with Cousins and Tucker (if they keep him)....they may end up a better "team" without Harden in the short term. Also really like a young guy they have Jae'Sean Tate. Reminds me of Tucker and Crowder a bit as a bigger, physical 6-4 swing.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Plus Gordon and Exum. If they are healthy and the young guys step up, they could be a pretty good squad.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

5 wizards now covid-positive.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:23 am
5 wizards now covid-positive.
Stupid Wizards!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Some Wizards they are.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 am
Some Wizards they are.
Good point. At least learn some basic healing spells!
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

So what did the Wizards do? Was it just accidental or were they flouting the rules?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:51 pm
So what did the Wizards do? Was it just accidental or were they flouting the rules?
I am sure every team has players/staff that aren't following the rules. It was probably just a matter of it catching up to a team and them being the ones spreading it around. If it weren't the Wiz, it would have been someone else.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:11 pm
carey wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:51 pm
I am sure every team has players/staff that aren't following the rules. It was probably just a matter of it catching up to a team and them being the ones spreading it around. If it weren't the Wiz, it would have been someone else.
I sure wish we could have a do over where we never played the stupid Wizards.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Jesus

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Hopefully we come out of his weekend with no positives

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:29 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 pm
Indy wrote:

He might have the toughest coaching job in the NBA this season. He won't get any credit if the team wins, and there's a huge chance Harden and Kyrie just decide they don't feel like playing.

But Mike D is there, and he has always been able to connect to players. Nash was always known for his work ethic. I hope he does well.
Playoffs matter most. They’re stars who want to win but don’t want to take any more shit from public expectations- for whatever it’s worth. I think it’ll boil down to their defense, not hanging points in the playoffs. Nash and Mike D better have some plays drawn up and for them to practice for crunch time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

KAT now has Covid. It was 7 family members of his that have died, right?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:08 pm
Jesus
Like you, I am praying for his return as well!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Excluding the still in progress distribution of the vaccine, the only defense we have against COVID-19 is social distancing and wearing masks. NBA basketball does neither. So I have hard time reconciling "taking the virus seriously" with playing NBA basketball.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:47 pm
Excluding the still in progress distribution of the vaccine, the only defense we have against COVID-19 is social distancing and wearing masks. NBA basketball does neither. So I have hard time reconciling "taking the virus seriously" with playing NBA basketball.
Another defense would be to not playing the Wizards.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:47 pm
completely agree. by playing outside a bubble they are agreeing to let it spread throughout the league (and through any person that has to get close enough to support the league).

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

9 games postponed in the last 6 days.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695