Game Day: Suns (7-5) vs Rockets (4-8), Wednesday, 1/20/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Game Day: Suns (7-5) vs Rockets (4-8), Wednesday, 1/20/2021

Post by jonh »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 pm
Completely off-topic and totally unrelated to anything in this thread, but what is the penalty for a second PED violation?
Not PED related, but I think there’s a legitimate chance the team won’t play for several days due to COVID contact tracing.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

So of course I turned the game off at halftime and forgot to record the 2nd half. It was nice to wake up to not only a win, but a great night by DA. Didn't seem like he was particularly engaged in the 1st half and seemed unsure of himself on offense, so not sure who said what at halftime but it clicked. I do like that Book is being tough on Ayton and not just patting him on the back for a good game. We've seen this before where Ayton puts up big numbers or a good game, everyone thinks he's turned the corner, and then he reverts back to the non-aggressive sleepwalking DA. Could be a good cop/bad cop thing where Monty is there for encouragement and reinforcement while guys like Book, CP, maybe Jae stay on DA about his aggression and focus. Sometimes criticism or tough love can be more impactful coming from a teammate as opposed to a coach. A player can take it personal coming from a coach, lose confidence, or tune out. Having teammates push each other has a different feel to it.

Payne looked great last night on both ends. Plays with nice pace, hit some 3s, got into the lane, was disruptive on defense. Our wings didn't do much overall unfortunately. Crowder was hitting his shots in the 1st half but teams are still sticking to Bridges and Cam on the perimeter so they need to adjust to that. Our Big 3 carried us tho in terms of scoring which might be a first this year? And even if Paul and Book didn't play great throughout the game, Ayton picked up the slack which is what you want to see.

carey

Post by carey »

Impressed by Ayton's performance last night. We all know he has this in him and his problem is doing it consistently. 2 games like this then 2 games like the one's previous.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:39 pm
Ok Ayton
Shhh.. We don't want him thinking he's good again.
I think it was Indy who said one of his good games is usually a tease as he then disappoints next game but safe to say he has continued or even built off last game so Lookout folks
Allow yourselves to believe :D :twisted:
Yep, that was me. I didn't look up his game logs to support my supposition though. So glad he came through 2 games in a row. Now he needs to get to half the games, then 4 out of 5 like this. He is more than capable of that with his body.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Completely off-topic and totally unrelated to anything in this thread, but what is the penalty for a second PED violation?
damn you

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:16 am
Parts of this game were ugly, but I'm really happy to see Ayton play so well. We need him to be this guy if we're going to contend. My happiness with Ayton's great game outweighs any negative feelings I have about how others may not have played their best. Happy to get a win. This Houston team is weird; they're probably going to fall out of the playoffs, but they actually do have a lot of talented guys. Oladipo is great, Wall is good if he is healthy, Wood is a very nice center, and they still have a lot of random guys like Nwaba, Tucker, Gordon, etc. who can show up and surprise you. Plus they are probably happy to be out of all the Harden drama (Ewing theory). Hard to rate them or know exactly where they'll end up at the end of the season.
They have a lot of pride so I was happy to get the win. Young coach Silas seems to have a pretty good control of his team.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

jonh wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:20 am
INFORMER wrote:
Not PED related, but I think there’s a legitimate chance the team won’t play for several days due to COVID contact tracing.
I have no idea how the Suns are still playing and Memphis now has three postponed games. I guess no one on the Suns shook hands with a Memphis player. :roll:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:43 pm
jonh wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I have no idea how the Suns are still playing and Memphis now has three postponed games. I guess no one on the Suns shook hands with a Memphis player. :roll:
It's possible the COVID contact with Memphis players happened after the game, no? (Besides Jonas, of course.)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:43 pm
jonh wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
It's possible the COVID contact with Memphis players happened after the game, no? (Besides Jonas, of course.)
Or possibly a trainer/staff person that was with all the Griz players but not us. And I don't think they do multi-layer tracing unless some is symptomatic or has a positive test.