Suns News: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Suns News: Week 6 1/25-1/31

Post by Nodack »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:59 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:24 pm
Phoenix has a lot of asshole bigots. I think it has more to do with that than fandom.
What exactly caused these people to threaten Jae Crowder specifically? Is there something about him or his behavior in particular that upsets them? If it's out of racism, why do they target him rather than the many other black players on our team?
I didn’t mean to cause a scene. I was just responding to this. I was just saying nobody really knows except maybe Crowder and the people responsible. I suspected racism because I can’t think of any other reason that would make people give death threats to someone they don’t even know.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:32 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Phoenix has a lot of asshole bigots. I think it has more to do with that than fandom.
What exactly caused these people to threaten Jae Crowder specifically? Is there something about him or his behavior in particular that upsets them? If it's out of racism, why do they target him rather than the many other black players on our team?
I didn’t mean to cause a scene. I was just responding to this. I was just saying nobody really knows except maybe Crowder and the people responsible. I suspected racism because I can’t think of any other reason that would make people give death threats to someone they don’t even know.
You didn’t start it Nodack

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:32 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Well first, you didn't cause a scene. You're fine. Secondly, death threats are unfortunately very common in sports. Just ask any NFL kicker who missed a game winning/tying field goal. Ask Steve Bartman, circa 2003.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:29 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:08 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:05 pm
It never ceases to amaze me what people are willing to write in Facebook or Youtube comments publicly, let alone how far the anonymous trolls are willing to go.

The civility on this board is an oasis.
Agreed. Thanks go out to the posters and the moderators. It probably helps that many of us have been talking to each other about Suns basketball for 20 years or more.
Well it was nice to come here and see comments like these cause the Game Day threads are......
:? :oops:
Yes, there's emotion in the gamethreads (even from me haha), but why wouldn't there be? I get where you're coming from, but I honestly don't think they're that bad.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Is it too premature for a Monty Williams Coaching hot seat thread? Losing to several of the leagues worst teams now. Can’t seem to finish games well. More talent than we’ve had a decade. Fan base getting a taste of success ripped away from them. I can see this coming up on suns podcasts now. It seems to have been largely focused on the players so far. I like Williams but he needs to feel some heat for this past few weeks

Crazy season I know but everyone else is facing the same conditions.

About a quarter of the season gone now. Maybe not time to panic but it’s time to actually win. Is Williams concerned more with process over winning?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There's no way Sarver fires him and eats 3.5 years of his contract.

This team is missing some dynamism.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I don’t think Monty is our biggest problem. CP3 not playing with pace and trying to play iso ball is our biggest problem. And the fact that we have DA Bridges and Johnson who are players we rely on and disappear for games at a time.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Yes but a the end of day starved still remains unpredictable. I’m suggesting more than he loses his nerve and thinks a firing sends a message that losing isn’t acceptable - even though that may not be the best solution.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:14 pm
I don’t think Monty is our biggest problem. CP3 not playing with pace and trying to play iso ball is our biggest problem. And the fact that we have DA Bridges and Johnson who are players we rely on and disappear for games at a time.
Yes but the CP3 thing has been obvious and yet Monty has been unable or unwilling to fix it. It was JJs all in move so it’s not like he can turn on cp3

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Not only CP3 dribbles and got us a bad shot at the end of the shot clock, the team is stagnant while he does it.
Not only there's no ball movement, there's no movement without the ball.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:13 am
Not only CP3 dribbles and got us a bad shot at the end of the shot clock, the team is stagnant while he does it.
Not only there's no ball movement, there's no movement without the ball.
THIS
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Danimal wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 pm
Is it too premature for a Monty Williams Coaching hot seat thread? Losing to several of the leagues worst teams now. Can’t seem to finish games well. More talent than we’ve had a decade. Fan base getting a taste of success ripped away from them. I can see this coming up on suns podcasts now. It seems to have been largely focused on the players so far. I like Williams but he needs to feel some heat for this past few weeks

About a quarter of the season gone now. Maybe not time to panic but it’s time to actually win. Is Williams concerned more with process over winning?
It's nothing unpredictable, though. Lots of folks said in the offseason that we lacked shot creation and big man depth. Lot's of folks questioned the upgrade value of CP3+Crowder over Rubio+Oubre (not to mention the other offseason scenarios that have been proposed). It's nice that Nader and Galloway have been good in spot minutes, but they have limited impact because all of our depth is at the SG position.

To me, Monty is not on the hot seat. The team still plays well coming out of timeouts, and as long as Cam Johnson, Bridges, and Payne continue improving, Monty is doing his part.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 am
Danimal wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 pm

It's nothing unpredictable, though. Lots of folks said in the offseason that we lacked shot creation and big man depth. Lot's of folks questioned the upgrade value of CP3+Crowder over Rubio+Oubre (not to mention the other offseason scenarios that have been proposed). It's nice that Nader and Galloway have been good in spot minutes, but they have limited impact because all of our depth is at the SG position.

To me, Monty is not on the hot seat. The team still plays well coming out of timeouts, and as long as Cam Johnson, Bridges, and Payne continue improving, Monty is doing his part.
Monty wasn't brought in because he is an amazing X/O guy. He was brought in to build relationships with the players, especially the ones we want to keep around (book). He was here to build the locker room chemistry and culture. He has exceeded my expectations there.

But then we bring in a guy that is not known for being good for culture over his career. And it feels like there is a chasm between what Monty used to preach and what Paul preaches. I am not saying they are incompatible, but it doesn't feel like they are meshing right now.

We clearly can't survive missing any of our key players, and also can't survive when key players disappear even when healthy (Mikal, Cam, Cam, AYTON!!!, and I think even Book to an extent).

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with Monty's Xs and Os. I just don't think we're running a whole lot this year and looking to Paul too much to run whatever he wants.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Williams was too hands on with CP3 his first time around and now he's being too hands off to make up for it.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That seems to be the case. You need halfcourt offense late in games and in the playoffs but the regular season has become run-n-gun. And Monty can't just blame guys for not hitting their shots. It's how they're getting their shots that's the problem and it starts with one guy.

Pips

Post by Pips »

IMO Suns need Šarić and Payne in bubble form, they was key there and now for good results.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:09 pm
That seems to be the case. You need halfcourt offense late in games and in the playoffs but the regular season has become run-n-gun. And Monty can't just blame guys for not hitting their shots. It's how they're getting their shots that's the problem and it starts with one guy.
Please let’s not confuse what CP3 does with “halfcourt offense.”

Dribble dribble dribble juke in place, dribble dribble, between the legs dribble, dribble, pass with 2 seconds or shoot with someone in your face is not an offense. It’s LA Fitness.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:40 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:09 pm
Please let’s not confuse what CP3 does with “halfcourt offense.”

Dribble dribble dribble juke in place, dribble dribble, between the legs dribble, dribble, pass with 2 seconds or shoot with someone in your face is not an offense. It’s LA Fitness.
I get you don’t like his style, but he’s been one of the best nba PG’s in nba history playing that style. He’s not shooting great yet this year, but he’s always been about efficiency. Take time to get the best high quality shot, don’t turn it over.

He’s never been a .5 style player. Adjustments need to be made, from both sides to get the right fit for Paul and for the offense as a whole.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »