Suns News: Week 7 2/1-2/7

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Suns News: Week 7 2/1-2/7

Post by Nodack »

We are even more due to win a Finals.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:23 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:46 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:41 pm
Coming up on the 30th anniversary of our last finals trip 😬
We're past due for another one. The difference? Sarver.
With the benefit of lots of hindsight, I do wonder how Jerry feels about selling the team. Or if he's ever made any comments regarding selling
If he would have known he would live another 15 years and if could have sold for a billion dollars, he probably would have kept them.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:20 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
With the benefit of lots of hindsight, I do wonder how Jerry feels about selling the team. Or if he's ever made any comments regarding selling
If he would have known he would live another 15 years and if could have sold for a billion dollars, he probably would have kept them.
I wish you would have let him know all this!!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He’s a well spoken young man, as one might say. :)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:38 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:20 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
I wish you would have let him know all this!!
still working on time travel Charlie. I will let your younger self know when I figure it out.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What good is a billion dollars to someone already wealthy who doesn’t have that much time left on Earth?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 am
What good is a billion dollars to someone already wealthy who doesn’t have that much time left on Earth?
Part of it is that you can pass on that wealth to your children and family. Also more wealth allows you to do bigger things like start foundations, charitable giving, buy more toys, etc.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, Jerry just sold the team because he had a serious health scare and wanted to take care of his financial affairs.

If he had known he would live this much longer I'm sure he would have very seriously considered holding on to the team.

But then again, maybe he would have still made the same decision.

Also - Jerry didn't own majority interest in the team, he was just controlling shareholder (much like he was with the Diamondbacks). I don't recall off the top of my head what that percentage was, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a quarter. So perhaps it was his partners that wanted to make the move at that time too.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:00 am
Well, Jerry just sold the team because he had a serious health scare and wanted to take care of his financial affairs.

If he had known he would live this much longer I'm sure he would have very seriously considered holding on to the team.

Also - Jerry didn't own majority interest in the team, he was just controlling shareholder (much like he was with the Diamondbacks). I don't recall off the top of my head what that percentage was, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a quarter. So perhaps it was his partners that wanted to make the move at that time too.
I forgot about that.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:00 am

Thank you for all of that info, bobster. I had no idea, especially that part.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Here's what I have in my notes -

12Oct87 - The Phoenix franchise is purchased by Phoenix Suns Limited Partnership, general partners JDM Sports [Jerry J. Colangelo, Edwin C. Lynch, David Eaton, Ross N. Farnsworth and Mel L. Shultz] and limited partners the Dial Corporation, the Greyhound Corporation, the El Dorado Investment Company, the Pinnacle West Capital Corporation, Dick Van Arsdale, Bloch, Diamond and Pitt for $44.5 million and the assumption of $10 million in debt.

6Jan97 - JDM Sports, Inc. [a group of investors headed by Colangelo] purchases the 26% share of the Phoenix franchise held by Viad Corp. [Formerly the Greyhound Corporation] for $31.5 million, giving JDM Sports 36% ownership.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695