Game Day: Cavaliers (10-14) @ Suns (13-9), Mon 2/8/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Cavaliers (10-14) @ Suns (13-9), Mon 2/8/21

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:35 am
jonh wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:28 am

Im all on board the Monty train, and think he is an underrated reason for the Suns trajectory change both last season and this season.
I think Monty is a good coach. Not a great coach. A bit worried that he lets Paul run the whole show basically. That's not his job. I understand his leadership is a key component of getting paid $40M a year. He's not the coach though. I also worry about this whole 'match up' thing he has going on. I'd rather the team be proactive than reactive.

I think these guys say it better.

The Suns do have good rhythm and the players whose minutes are up and down are the ones who produce the best.

The changes to the starting lineup are all about puting Cam and Frank in the best positions to succeed. Let Cam match up with the smaller quicker guys and throw Frank out there against the bigger slower guys.

It's just basic.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Lots of complaints about the defense tonight, but I didn't sweat it. We were down 5 guys who are ahead of Frank and E'twaun on the depth chart, and those 5 are pretty good defenders. Sexton and Garland can score, and the Cavs bigs can get to the rim.

And this might be the first time a lot of Suns fans have seen how good Sexton is. In the draft, he was knocked as not having a jumper or good court awareness. I didn't like him as a prospect at all. But from his rookie season he has been a good shooter from just about everywhere and has done a good job of taking the right shot. His awareness of how to get the team involved has grown a lot. He's a very good player.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Criticism can sting but, it can also motivate you to prove them wrong.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm
Lots of complaints about the defense tonight, but I didn't sweat it. We were down 5 guys who are ahead of Frank and E'twaun on the depth chart, and those 5 are pretty good defenders. Sexton and Garland can score, and the Cavs bigs can get to the rim.

And this might be the first time a lot of Suns fans have seen how good Sexton is. In the draft, he was knocked as not having a jumper or good court awareness. I didn't like him as a prospect at all. But from his rookie season he has been a good shooter from just about everywhere and has done a good job of taking the right shot. His awareness of how to get the team involved has grown a lot. He's a very good player.
Yeah, I had heard that he is an inefficient chucker. They were wrong.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:41 pm
O_Gardino wrote:

I had gotten the same impression about Sexton, that he was a high-volume, low-efficiency, ball-dominant guard. He was much better than that when I watched him the other night. Good on him for improving so much as a player. And the reports I'd read may have just been wrong about him all along.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I had gotten the same impression about Sexton, that he was a high-volume, low-efficiency, ball-dominant guard. He was much better than that when I watched him the other night. Good on him for improving so much as a player. And the reports I'd read may have just been wrong about him all along.
That's what I thought about him in the draft, but I was wrong.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:57 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

That's what I thought about him in the draft, but I was wrong.
He's a very good scorer. Efficient too. He still leaves a lot to be desired as a passer.