Around the League: Week 8 2/8-2/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 8 2/8-2/14

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: Houston @ Charlotte 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Milwaukee @ Denver 9:30 PM EST NBATv
Tuesday: Houston @ New Orleans 7:30 PM EST TNT, Boston @ Utah 10:00 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Atlanta @ Dallas 7:30 PM EST ESPN, Milwaukee @ Phoenix 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Miami @ Houston 7:30 PM ESTTNT, Philadelphia @ Portland 10:00 PM EST TNT
Friday: New Orleans @ Dallas 7:30 PM EST ESPN, Memphis @ L.A. Lakers 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Saturday: Philadelphia @ Phoenix 3:00 PM EST NBATv, Brooklyn @ Golden State 8:30 PM EST ABC
Sunday: Portland @ Dallas 7:30 PM EST ESPN, L.A. Lakers @ Denver 10:00 PM EST ESPN, Cleveland @ L.A. Clippers 10:00 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

Detroit Pistons trade Derrick Rose to New York Knicks in deal that reunites former MVP with Tom Thibodeau - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/308 ... -thibodeau

Kevin Durant eligible to rejoin Brooklyn Nets on Friday, Steve Nash says - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/308 ... -nash-says

Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard agree with LeBron James: 'Zero excitement' for All-Star Game - https://sports.yahoo.com/giannis-anteto ... 43716.html

Power Rankings Roundup

NBA Power Rankings: Lakers, Jazz battle for top spot; Bucks turn up the defense; scorching Kings make big jump - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... -big-jump/
#7 Suns - Phoenix went 3-1 in a week that saw Devin Booker return to the court after a four-game absence. Booker averaged 22.5 points and 3.8 assists on 35 percent 3-point shooting, while Chris Paul continued his steady production with 19.8 points and six assists per game. It's clear the offense still isn't fully clicking, but the Suns defense has been tenacious enough to keep them in the win column. Frank Kaminsky has been a nice offensive spark off the bench, averaging 10.3 points in 18 minutes per game this week, while shooting 61.5 percent from the field.
NBA Power Rankings: Lakers Make Up Ground, and a New No. 1 Emerges -
#6 Suns - With Chris Paul and Devin Booker on the roster, one would think the Phoenix Suns would be extremely difficult to beat in close games. But that has not been the case. In 13 clutch games (three-point differential with three minutes left), the Suns are 6-7, and they are 0-3 in overtime, as well. Phoenix needs more of the magic it got against the Dallas Mavericks on this Booker game-winner. The Suns nearly let their poor play in clutch situations cost them against the Boston Celtics. They were up eight with less than two minutes left and let Boston cut the lead to three before closing it out. They came away with the win, but Sunday’s game should not have been as close as it was down the stretch. That said, the Suns went 3-1 last week and deserve to move up a few spots in the rankings.
Power Rankings, Week 8: Lakers return to No. 1; Jazz continue to rise - https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2020-21-week-8
#8 Suns - In his first game back from a four-game absence, Devin Booker drained the game-winning 3-pointer off a pretty play design from Monty Williams, expert in pretty play designs. Interestingly, with Chris Paul’s move to Phoenix, Booker has seen only a minimal increase (from 24% to 25%) in the percentage of his jump shots that have come off the catch and no increase in the percentage of his buckets that have been assisted (amazingly 45.9% in each of the last two seasons).

Booker has seen drops in both effective field goal percentage and true shooting percentage from career-best marks last season, because he hasn’t been getting to the basket or to the free throw line as much. As a team, the Suns rank 29th in both the percentage of their shots that have come in the restricted area (23%) and free throw rate (21.2 attempts per 100 shots from the field), having seen the league biggest drop from last season in the former (33%, 13th) and its second biggest drop in the latter (27.1, eighth). The lack of layups and free throws wasn’t much of an issue when the Suns ranked in the top 10 offensively a few weeks ago and they’ve still won five of their last six games with their top-five defense. But Mikal Bridges has cooled off from 3-point range (6-for-36 over the last eight games) and they certainly have guys — Booker and Deandre Ayton (four free throw attempts in the last four games) — who could be getting to the cup and to the line more than they have.
Power Rankings: Can Anyone Catch the Lakers? - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/8/ ... ixers-jazz
#7 Suns - On Sunday, the Celtics frequently pressured or trapped Chris Paul and Devin Booker to force the ball elsewhere. But the Suns won 100-91 thanks to Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson combining for 36 points. “If teams want to play junk defenses against me and Chris and get the ball out of our hands, [Bridges and Cam Johnson] can make them pay,” Booker said after the game. This is probably the play that was on Booker’s mind:

Boston trapped Booker, and then Bridges and Johnson took care of business. Bridges drove then passed the ball against Kemba Walker’s momentum, forcing a defensive rotation that gave Johnson time to unleash a 3. Plays like this one have the Suns firmly in the West playoffs, because this roster is deep with talent beyond Booker and CP3.
The Athletic’s NBA Power Rankings: Predictions that are looking good … and bad - https://theathletic.com/2358412/2021/02 ... -athletic/
#7 Suns - The preseason prediction: Devin Booker makes All-NBA.

The update: This is a tough one to project so far. We haven’t really seen the supernova version of Booker for the Suns. They also haven’t really needed him to be most nights. Booker has been good. He’s been a solid star. But All-NBA typically requires a truck load of wins or some ridiculous performances. The Suns are winning but not dominant. Booker has been good but not ridiculous. He may not be headed for All-NBA just yet, but if the Suns keep having success throughout the season, he’ll be more likely to get that recognition.

Why this ranking? Loss to New Orleans was tough, but they had a great 3-1 week overall. The Suns survived four games (2-2) without Booker and continue to win with him
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 8 2/8-2/14

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks, Carey. The national media continues to like us a lot; everybody has us in the #6-8 range. I think that might be a bit high based on how we're playing right now, but I like that rating for us as our outlook for the season overall once we get healthy and get better rhythm.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think our play of late puts us in the top 6-8 teams, but once they were bullish enough to put us in the top 3, they can't back off too much without making it seem like they were stupid/duped.

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way carey, that clip you posted above from the Ringer looks a 100% better than the feed FSAZ has. I don't know what is going on, but it has been pretty poor this year. So much for an upgraded arena.

The last game we played on ESPN, I was so frustrated with the FSAZ quality that I switched over to ESPN and it was so much better. I assume they use the same camera (at least for the main action), so what the hell determines the quality of the broadcast? Does Fox reduce the resolution, or does DirecTV reduce it for certain channels?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I hate that the Spurs are still in that top 10 range of these rankings. Not that the rankings mean anything, but more that the Spurs just never go away.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:05 pm
I hate that the Spurs are still in that top 10 range of these rankings. Not that the rankings mean anything, but more that the Spurs just never go away.
:lol: :lol:
and Aldridge has not been playing well so it seems like Demar and the young nucleus - Murray, White and Johnson which unfortunately means that yea they not going anywhere :roll:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

The suns have the 6th best record in the nba, so hard to argue we don’t deserve a power ranking in that 6-8 range...just a ton of parity right now early in the season.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:20 pm
The suns have the 6th best record in the nba, so hard to argue we don’t deserve a power ranking in that 6-8 range...just a ton of parity right now early in the season.
Makes sense to me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Are the Spurs gonna make the playoffs? They’re right behind us at 14-10 in the 5th seed. I kinda like their team. Just a bunch of wings and Derozan operating as an efficient scoring point forward. I don’t even find myself having any ill will towards them anymore. Guess the wounds from 2004-2010 have healed.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 pm
Are the Spurs gonna make the playoffs? They’re right behind us at 14-10 in the 5th seed. I kinda like their team. Just a bunch of wings and Derozan operating as an efficient scoring point forward. I don’t even find myself having any ill will towards them anymore. Guess the wounds from 2004-2010 have healed.
You will come playoff time.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Hornets are fun to watch
Their commentator also sounds like he is doing NBA JAM Arcade Mode or something :lol:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

In soccer, when it's so blatant, you get a yellow card.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

They are supposed to get fined, but they only get warned. There is no teeth in any rules to keep blatant flopping from happening in the NBA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Reminds me of this:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lol, that's pretty bad.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL, wow. The inverse of the "Why are you hitting yourself?" sibling prank.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And they celebrated it. Spectacular!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

How did the refs call it?

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Cap wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:47 am
How did the refs call it?
At first they called a foul, but soon they reversed and gave a red card to the player who hit himself! LOL