Around the League: Week 9 2/15-2/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Week 9 2/15-2/21

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:28 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:10 pm
Jayson Tatum = Stud
For a stud, he sure loses a lot of games.
Would y’all trade Ayton, Mikal, and 1st rounders for Tatum?
How many 1sts? I think you kinda have to as long as it’s not the 4 unprotected 1sts plus pick swaps. If it’s 2 1sts, you’ve gotta do it. Love Bridges, but Tatum/Book is a special combo going forward.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:26 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Jayson Tatum = Stud
How many 1sts? I think you kinda have to as long as it’s not the 4 unprotected 1sts plus pick swaps. If it’s 2 1sts, you’ve gotta do it. Love Bridges, but Tatum/Book is a special combo going forward.
Nope. Wouldn't trade Ayton + Mikal, much less throw in 1st round picks. Tatum + Booker is a combo devoid of a point guard and we're left with nobody to man the middle of the paint on defense. For all of the crap we give Ayton for not doing enough on offense, we're all quick to forget the dominant stretches of defense he provides on the perimeter and in the paint.

Tatum puts up some great numbers but his shooting % is behind Devin and requires nearly 3 more FG attempts per game than Booker. You wouldn't have nearly the amount of contribution from the rest of your roster and lots of guys standing around with Tatum needing 21 shot attempts and Booker needing 18 a game.

Also, Tatum has a defensive rating of 110.7 this season. Booker has a defensive rating of 109.9. For all the crap we give Booker about defense, he's better this season than Tatum. Ayton has a defensive rating of 107.5. That's nearly 3 less points per 100 possessions.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:59 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Jayson Tatum = Stud
Boston wouldn't.
I wouldn't either.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Jayson Tatum = Stud
Nope. Wouldn't trade Ayton + Mikal, much less throw in 1st round picks. Tatum + Booker is a combo devoid of a point guard and we're left with nobody to man the middle of the paint on defense. For all of the crap we give Ayton for not doing enough on offense, we're all quick to forget the dominant stretches of defense he provides on the perimeter and in the paint.

Tatum puts up some great numbers but his shooting % is behind Devin and requires nearly 3 more FG attempts per game than Booker. You wouldn't have nearly the amount of contribution from the rest of your roster and lots of guys standing around with Tatum needing 21 shot attempts and Booker needing 18 a game.

Also, Tatum has a defensive rating of 110.7 this season. Booker has a defensive rating of 109.9. For all the crap we give Booker about defense, he's better this season than Tatum. Ayton has a defensive rating of 107.5. That's nearly 3 less points per 100 possessions.
Defensive rating means essentially nothing. Tatum is a much better defender. I just think it’d be much easier to replace Ayton. Getting a 2nd primary scorer would be great. And we still have CP3, so not sure what you mean by devoid of PG.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Defensive rating means essentially nothing. Tatum is a much better defender. I just think it’d be much easier to replace Ayton. Getting a 2nd primary scorer would be great. And we still have CP3, so not sure what you mean by devoid of PG.
I guess I wasn't looking at it in the context of making the trade today and was thinking down the road. I feel like CP3 has shown, at least lately, he's been great as a 2nd primary scorer when needed.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It would be an over achievement for Bridges to become 80% of what Jayson Tatum is right now. Not to mention Tatum is a year and a half younger than Bridges.

Ayton is replaceable every summer. In fact, I hope he's replaced later this summer and its for someone who can actually be a future star next to Booker.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Perhaps I’m severely undervaluing Tatum, but Ayton, Bridges AND pickS (plural, to boot) is a huge overpaid for a very, very talented, but not elite forward. That is a package on my mind reserved for Giannis, Davis, Durant and some other Top 5 talent Mega Star. Of course it might be not enough, but as a package we would be left out of options to improve, so it better brings along someone who is enough by himself to elevate this team. Tatum doesn’t have that lifting, otherwise Boston would be much better.

Two out of three should be enough for Boston, or we both are better like we are. Boston currently have Tatum, and we currently have Bridges and Ayton, and I’m very pleased with the early returns, they are the team needing to shake off the roster, not us. And that’s not considering the future building blocks coming from the picks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:04 pm
Perhaps I’m severely undervaluing Tatum, but Ayton, Bridges AND pickS (plural, to boot) is a huge overpaid for a very, very talented, but not elite forward. That is a package on my mind reserved for Giannis, Davis, Durant and some other Top 5 talent Mega Star. Of course it might be not enough, but as a package we would be left out of options to improve, so it better brings along someone who is enough by himself to elevate this team. Tatum doesn’t have that lifting, otherwise Boston would be much better.

Two out of three should be enough for Boston, or we both are better like we are. Boston currently have Tatum, and we currently have Bridges and Ayton, and I’m very pleased with the early returns, they are the team needing to shake off the roster, not us. And that’s not considering the future building blocks coming from the picks.
The only way one of those "elite" guys you mentioned would be traded for such a low return, would be if they asked out and nobody else had something to offer.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Agreed, but as I said, salary wise considerations and roster construction makes it an “All in” trade, so we have to aim high. CP3, Booker and Tatum + mid-level-exception talent and NO future picks are not carrying us much further than our current core, even if Bridges and Ayton stops developing. Booker, Tatum and “future Star coming for Paul” still feels short handed, very “depends on who comes”. Bottom line, is a lateral move to me, and we can do lateral without selling the farm.

Davis went to Lakers for Lonzo Ball, 2019 Brandon Ingram (not 2021 Brandon Ingram) Josh Hart, and three first-round picks. Opportunistic and all, it’s the kind of move we need if we are going to sell the farm.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:04 pm

I just don’t think Ayton has a ton of value. I love Bridges, but he’s not ever going to be Tatum. The 1sts would be late 1sts. I honestly don’t think it’s a ton. Boston wouldn’t go for it.

And I’m not putting Boston’s record against Tatum. They were in the eastern finals last year. They have been hurt by injuries this year. Kemba isn’t the same, Smart is out and they lost Hayward. Plus Tatum got Covid and missed time as well.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is silly. Jayson Tatum is an All-NBA level player. Mikal Bridges and DeAndre Ayton are not.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:37 pm
This is silly. Jayson Tatum is an All-NBA level player. Mikal Bridges and DeAndre Ayton are not.
Yeah but.. Bridges + Ayton + 1 or more 1st round picks?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Who said anything different?
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:41 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Who said anything different?
I guess no one, but that's my point. It's always better to be on the end of the deal that nets the best player.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Plus a role player or 2? Of course... the picks are the last thing I’d be worried about.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yes. Of course not some dumb amount of picks, but like Split said, those picks would expected to be late in the round anyway.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The only reason you would be against the trade from a Suns perspective is homerism.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:04 pm
The only reason you would be against the trade from a Suns perspective is homerism.
Disagree. How many 1st round picks are you giving them? It wasn't specified. Also, as much as we bag on him, Ayton isn't as easily replaced as what's been said here. We'd have a big hole in the middle.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Guilty
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:06 pm
Indy wrote:
Disagree. How many 1st round picks are you giving them? It wasn't specified. Also, as much as we bag on him, Ayton isn't as easily replaced as what's been said here. We'd have a big hole in the middle.
We can all disagree here, but we are all homers. Like has been discussed, nobody was talking about 4 picks.

I doubt any GM in the league outside of our (and maybe not even him) would turn down this trade of Boston offered it.