Game Day: Suns (17-10) @ Pelicans (12-16), Friday, 2/19/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Game Day: Suns (17-10) @ Pelicans (12-16), Friday, 2/19/21

Post by jonh »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:51 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:49 pm
I love Monty and I know he's covering for DA and trying to keep his head in the right space but to get "moments" from DA when he's on the court for 35 minutes is still kinda disappointing. And how many of these "moments" does DA need for his confidence, because Monty's been talking about that kind of thing for a while with DA too.

I wasn't displeased with DA's play last night in general and he really did provide a spark in the 4th. He was quicker all around, grabbing rebounds, making plays around the basket. It's just getting old hearing about the confidence building stuff at this point. Would rather Monty just talk about how he provided a spark with his energy.
Thank you.

I'm just done with it. If we're going to have orange slices and Caprisuns for Ayton every time he makes a decent play, and then just ignore the rest of the blown opportunities and losing plays, then fine.

I'll just be content with the Suns playing great. And you know what narrative I'll ignore, Monty? The one from the organization that was made when they drafted Ayton #1 and proclaimed him a generation talent. I'll ignore the Dominayton narrrative that comes from...DEANDRE AYTON.

Ayton is a very good rebounder, solid defender, and overall decent role player. That's it, and I guess we all have to settle for that. :roll:
I’m fine with that. Looking down the road, Ayton will not be fine if the Suns contract offer to him reflects that perspective.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I love Monty and I know he's covering for DA and trying to keep his head in the right space but to get "moments" from DA when he's on the court for 35 minutes is still kinda disappointing. And how many of these "moments" does DA need for his confidence, because Monty's been talking about that kind of thing for a while with DA too.

I wasn't displeased with DA's play last night in general and he really did provide a spark in the 4th. He was quicker all around, grabbing rebounds, making plays around the basket. It's just getting old hearing about the confidence building stuff at this point. Would rather Monty just talk about how he provided a spark with his energy.
Thank you.

I'm just done with it. If we're going to have orange slices and Caprisuns for Ayton every time he makes a decent play, and then just ignore the rest of the blown opportunities and losing plays, then fine.

I'll just be content with the Suns playing great. And you know what narrative I'll ignore, Monty? The one from the organization that was made when they drafted Ayton #1 and proclaimed him a generation talent. I'll ignore the Dominayton narrrative that comes from...DEANDRE AYTON.

Ayton is a very good rebounder, solid defender, and overall decent role player. That's it, and I guess we all have to settle for that. :roll:
I don't think the org is really guilty of pushing out some generational narrative around Ayton. They had to say certain things when they drafted him, but I'd say it's been more tempered since he's been on the court. Ayton's been his own worst enemy talking himself up- about Dominayton, about his offseason and his workouts and his improvements, etc. But even that's quieted down some.

I've more than accepted Ayton as a good role playing big with potential to still get better defensively, and his defense has already been stellar this year. I don't think he'll improve his motor or his aggression. We gotta live with that. But I don't mind a 7-6 game against a Grizz in a blowout either because I thought he did a good job in the paint and holding off JV. And if his defense continues to improve and his rebounding stays as is, it should be good enough so long as we have others to do the work on offense. He won't be "generational #1 pick good" and he'll never be confused with Embiid or Jokic, but as long as there's enough talent on the rest of the roster for him to play that role for us, he can be a good piece.

The question for me becomes the contract and what he's offered vs what he's worth. And if for some reason the talent level of the roster drops and we're forced to rely on him more and more each night, is that something he'll be able to step to?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Thank you.

The team is in a tough position with what they say to the media about DA. Reports already have all of their stories for the season written out. They know what tonight's headlines will be. They are going to write about DAs aggressiveness and CP3's leadership and that's about it, so those will be 90% of the questions directed toward the team.

I would love for Jones to try and control the narrative more. Just +have a chat with local media and say that the team wants to emphasize our team defense and ball movement. Booker and DA are being asked to carry less of the load. The forwards and the bench are being asked to contribute more. We are looking for 10 contributors every night. Etc.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:39 pm
The Suns have tied and broken their franchise record for three pointers made in a game in the last two games. That's probably been more impactful on winning than who starts at PF.
The guy who started at PF is a combined 7-11 in those games. If the shooting won it, you've got to give credit to the shooters.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan