2021 All-Star selections

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: 2021 All-Star selections

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:06 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm
Do you think Zion deserved it more than Booker, Split?
I think Zion is a bigger star. He’s better this year than Booker was when he got snubbed in the past. But it’s hard to say who deserves what. Should an all-star selection be based solely on how players have played in strictly this season? Should past years(snubs specifically) be considered? Does star power matter?

Book has had quite bad luck when it comes to all star selections. This has been his 3rd all-star worthy season and he’s only got 1 injury replacement season to show for it.

What’s awesome is seeing how much fellow players go to bat for Booker. They know what he is. Weird the coaches don’t.

But to answer your question. Zion isn’t the guy I’d remove. I’d remove Mitchell...but that’s not happening with Utah at 25-6. I think the easiest way to have done it was just announce 13 all-stars as we know AD isn’t playing.

In reality, we should have 15 all-stars per conference. Rosters have 15 players now. Also gives you 30 each year, exactly double the amount of All-NBA selections, makes an all-nba selection twice as good as an all-star selection.

But Split, you didn’t answer my question. :lol: ;)

Does Zion deserve it more than Booker?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha, I guess I don’t really have an answer for you. I think Booker is better right now. He’s sacrificed on ball playmaking to Paul and that hurts his numbers. He also struggled to start the year(mostly with turnovers). His play right now is more indicative of what he is, and I have no doubt he’d been an all-star if he was dropping 27/5/4 on 53/43/85 splits(.637 TS). Which is what he’s done in February.

Advanced stats have never really liked Booker and I’m not exactly sure why. The defensive ones are because he doesn’t collect counting stats, but I don’t really buy defensive advanced stats. On offense I’d guess it’s the high turnover rate

Zion blows Booker out of the water in advanced stats...can’t just ignore it. And I’ve always been one that doesn’t really care about wins for an all-star selection.

So I don’t know. Personally I think they both deserve it. Again, I’d place both ahead of Mitchell strictly on an individual basis. But between just the two of them, it’s really a toss-up. In that case, go Booker for the team success. Zion can have the AD injury replacement spot...Although, SGA is a stud who’s had a phenomenal season. Don’t ask me where I’d rank him, haha.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I’m more bummed by the Booker snub more than anything. Besides the fact he clearly freaking deserves it, he’s our dude! The shit he had to put up with over the years, the disrespect he got for so long by main stream media, assholes saying Danny Green was better, his ceiling was Lou Williams, all stats and no substance. The dude stuck by this team through this franchise’s worst stretch, I just want to see him properly rewarded.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just wait until he’s announced as AD’s injury replacement and Lebron or KD takes him over 10 reserves that got in the first time. That will be some vindication.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Agreed. I’d be pretty surprise if he isn’t AD’s replacement, which is why I was bummed for Booker, because it feels like a cop out. Like he’s on the All-Star B squad or something. Like he didn’t earn it on merit, he just there because they need to fill a spot.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

There's no rule that you have to be an All-Star in order to be the Finals MVP. Just sayin'... :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:08 pm
There's no rule that you have to be an All-Star in order to be the Finals MVP. Just sayin'... :P
We all know he’s gonna be named Finals MVP this year and next, tell me something I don’t know :D

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:08 pm
We all know he’s gonna be named Finals MVP this year and next, tell me something I don’t know :D
Has a Finals MVP ever not made the all-star team that season?
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Igoudala?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Also I wonder whether Kawhi made the ASG that first time he earend FMVP...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 pm
Also I wonder whether Kawhi made the ASG that first time he earend FMVP...
Good call:

Leonard was also only the sixth player, and the first since Chauncey Billups in 2004, to win Finals MVP in a season in which they were not an All-Star. And then Igoudala in 2015.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Zion is a show, but his team is losing. To me he is not worthy of a selection by the coaches (fan vote would have been a different story). Booker is putting up the numbers and the clutchness, and the Suns are top4. You put him in and, knowing AD is not going to play, you pick Zion to replace the injuried big.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Silver has already said that AD doesn't need to be replaced with the same position.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:32 am
Zion is a show, but his team is losing. To me he is not worthy of a selection by the coaches (fan vote would have been a different story). Booker is putting up the numbers and the clutchness, and the Suns are top4. You put him in and, knowing AD is not going to play, you pick Zion to replace the injuried big.
This is the right way to do it. Zion is younger and his team sucks. Make him wait to be the replacement, not Booker.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I’m hoping Book takes this mindset and wreaks havoc through the second half of the season, and through the playoffs

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:32 am
Ya in a perfect world with 1 decision maker I’m sure this is what would have happened, but there was 15 decision makers who just vote independently.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I saw it before but I can’t find it. Does anyone know what our record was with Book out and then what it was when Paul was out?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

2-2 without Booker, 1-0 without Paul

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm not gonna bitch about this too much, but those eastern conference all stars are gross. Boston is below .500 and they have 2 all stars? Julius Randal? I honestly think the Suns could beat the east reserves,
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Gladiator wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:50 am

I’m hoping Book takes this mindset and wreaks havoc through the second half of the season, and through the playoffs
Me too. I don’t care about the All Star game but, Booker might. I just want him to use it as motivation. I hope he takes it out on the league. They win the Championship. Booker gets MVP. Booker gets lazy next year and puts up real sub par numbers in the first half and still gets selected as an All Star because they won.

I actually don’t think Booker or Paul deserved an All Star spot based on the play in the first quarter of the season. They were both just ok. This second quarter of the season both of them have turned it up a few notches. If they had both played that way the whole time I would have a different position. I think they were both deferring at the start for the good of the team. Now they have seemed to have figured out their roles and are excelling as is the team. I hope he doesn’t get in and is sitting in a gym working on his game while the All Star game is on.