Game Day: Hornets (14-16) @ Suns (20-10), Wed 2/24/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day: Hornets (14-16) @ Suns (20-10), Wed 2/24/21

Post by Split T »

I’m sorry for all the Ayton hate tonight. He’s a good kid...he’s very talented. This team is just ready to compete and he’s not. It’s just hard because we know he could be...he’s shown us he can play the way we need him to...anyways, flush this one...let’s beat Chicago on Friday. Time for Mikal to lockdown LaVine.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just finished watching the first half. The Suns are playing with fire.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

When you've got a fucking replay system in place why the fuck wouldn't you look at that last play?
Last edited by The Bobster on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:14 pm
:oops:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
My condolences to the rest of your night

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 pm
I’m sorry for all the Ayton hate tonight. He’s a good kid...he’s very talented. This team is just ready to compete and he’s not. It’s just hard because we know he could be...he’s shown us he can play the way we need him to...anyways, flush this one...let’s beat Chicago on Friday. Time for Mikal to lockdown LaVine.
I’m know I’m only resident on Ayton island right now but I still think he’s gonna be good. We all love Book but he’s in his damn 6th year, this year 3 for Ayton but this isn’t a normal 3, this covid year has been really weird one for sports. Look at Oubre, the dude had historically awful start to the season but he’s been on an absolute tear recently. People keep harping on Ayton, and rightfully so but it’s not like Mikal hasn’t been huge mixed bag after his hot start, he was shit tonight. Cam Johnson shooting has been erratic as shit, both Paul and Booker had disappointing starts but have turned it around. It’s gonna take a whole season for these guys to gel. No one what’s to hear that but it’s true. I’m telling you all, come playoff time, this team is going to be fucking rolling. You’ll see. Quote me on it. Y’all see I’m right. I already traveled the speed force a saw it. We all are gonna get happy endings. Also the suns are gonna be really good.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

You dont fix the things Ayton is missing, he just doesnt have the mindset. He never will, his hand dropping, his soft layins, its all instinctual, you dont change that. Shaq wanted to rip the rim down every time he dunked it, Ayton wants to have a nice conversation and ask how the rims mom is doing everytime he goes up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m glad you’ve got the optimism Wally...I just don’t. You’re right that we give other players a pass more often than Ayton...But when Cam and Bridges have bad games it’s usually because they miss shots...that’s not Ayton’s problem. Maybe I’m focusing too much on Ayton and it’s a little bit of me just finding examples only because I’m specifically looking for it, but I constantly see bone beaded things from Ayton. Layups when he should dunk, passing out of 4 foot shots, bringing the ball down on paint touches, being lazy in transition. Lately he’s been bad on switches...that used to be a pretty good skill.

You’re right that this has been a weird start to his career. With the suspension and pandemic ruining his 2nd year, this is almost year 2 for him. But he came in out of shape...and I half wonder if he’s also just not used to playing so many games...will be interesting to see if he bounces back with extra energy after the all-star break.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You play with fire, you get burned.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Oatmeal wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 pm
You dont fix the things Ayton is missing, he just doesnt have the mindset. He never will, his hand dropping, his soft layins, its all instinctual, you dont change that. Shaq wanted to rip the rim down every time he dunked it, Ayton wants to have a nice conversation and ask how the rims mom is doing everytime he goes up.
😂 oh lord. I wish it weren’t funny. I dunno...consistency is his problem right now. They can live without him being bulldog down low so long as he rebounds and defends— but he’s not worth the max. He can flip the switch at times and turn it on. I fear they should just make a smart move to win now. It’s clear that this team needs somebody with a hawk in his heart at the 4 or 5 spot. Ayton provides a good enough chip for a disgruntled big who wants off their squad. I hope JJ has this in mind while the team continues to grow Ayton’s game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:11 pm
Gave up a 15pt lead, only up 1 at half. We started settling for and missing 3s. Malik Monk went nuts for like 22pts. Just couldn't slow him down.

Team play well to get the lead, moving the ball for open 3s, using Saric in the post when they went small, getting out in transition. Then it became a little more ISO. Hornet are tough tho, we can't let this one get away.
We can and we did.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:13 pm
When will the Suns learn? Smh
Good question.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:19 pm
Garbage loss.

So tired of Diana Ayton
DOMINAYTON!!!!!111!!!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 pm
I was serious when I said this was a trap. The Hornets backcourt matches up with the Suns pretty well, and I wasn't expecting Ayton would step up on his matchup advantage.
You were spot on.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:19 pm
Superbone wrote:
My condolences to the rest of your night
I appreciate that. I wasn't happy. I watched the Hornets broadcast based on what bg said about their announcer. It was kind of fun to watch until the end when it became unbearable when LaMelo made those last couple of plays. Glad I went back and watched the Suns broadcast for the last play. You wouldn't have known Book was fouled based on the Charlotte broadcast. The contact to the shooting forearm was as clear as day on the Suns broadcast. No wonder the shot was short.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:09 pm
I’m know I’m only resident on Ayton island right now but I still think he’s gonna be good. We all love Book but he’s in his damn 6th year, this year 3 for Ayton but this isn’t a normal 3, this covid year has been really weird one for sports. Look at Oubre, the dude had historically awful start to the season but he’s been on an absolute tear recently. People keep harping on Ayton, and rightfully so but it’s not like Mikal hasn’t been huge mixed bag after his hot start, he was shit tonight. Cam Johnson shooting has been erratic as shit, both Paul and Booker had disappointing starts but have turned it around. It’s gonna take a whole season for these guys to gel. No one what’s to hear that but it’s true. I’m telling you all, come playoff time, this team is going to be fucking rolling. You’ll see. Quote me on it. Y’all see I’m right. I already traveled the speed force a saw it. We all are gonna get happy endings. Also the suns are gonna be really good.
Yeah, but are you feeling good vibes?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I thought the Hornets just played better than the Suns. Booker was fouled. Refs don’t like to call foils on end of game shots. Hats off to the Hornets. Ball can ball.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

The Booker disrespect tour rolls on. That was a foul.

I don’t care who deserves what win. Call the god damn fouls. Especially ones that could change the outcome at the end. Both teams deserve a fairly officiated game. Period.

Tired of having to completely reboot Ayton every 5-10 games. You’re right Oatmeal. You can’t fix what his issues are. He’s a nice kid. Hel be dominant but only if he can do it politely. Push him around a bit and he hides in his shell. He’s got a gentleman’s game in a pit bull’s league.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He's got a thick skull, that's for sure. He brings the ball down every friggin time. Plus he punks us fans by refusing to dunk the ball. Every couple games he'll throw a couple down just to tease us.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Something happened with Ayton prior to the bubble. Prior to the stoppage, he was in such a great rhythm and his trajectory looked super promising. Then he kind of sucked in the bubble and it’s been downhill ever since. It seems like he hasn’t used his last two extended breaks (2020 stoppage and offseason) well. His 4 days a week of working out were spent on the wrong things.

There’s been a bit of a snowball effect and his confidence seems totally shot now. His hands were never great, but they were never this bad either. I have no confidence that he’ll catch any pass that’s not perfectly placed.