Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12604
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Mori Chu » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:04 pm

BKinSJC wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:01 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:48 am
So, what does the HEAT acronym stand for?
“Hovering Elite And Talented”
LOL.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 20699
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Superbone » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Huge Energy and Teamwork.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 4429
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Hung Elite and Tasty
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 20699
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Superbone » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:20 pm
Hung Elite and Tasty
Ok, now I'm sorry I asked. :lol:
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 7095
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Cap » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Hugely Egregious Antisemetic Talk?

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 7699
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by ShelC » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:13 pm

Just gonna leave this here.


User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 4429
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Now that's a guy the Suns should make every effort to sign. Assuming the Spurs are buying him out.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1593
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by pickle » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:09 pm

I would be up for an Aldridge signing. I haven't watched him much this year, but I feel like he's got a little more in the tank than Blake tbh.

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1593
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by pickle » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 am
The thing about Meyers Leonard is, he can say he didn't know what that word meant. But if he said it so casually in his gaming stream, he has heard and said it before. He probably hangs out in a circle of guys who casually throw out edgy words like "the N word," or the "F word" for gays, or this "K word" for Jews, without hesitation. And it just seeps into your vocabulary. He probably didn't realize how not-cool it was to say that word in a general context.

I don't want to launch into a whole political argument about cancel culture in the main section. My personal opinion is that you should call people out strongly when they make mistakes or do things that are wrong, but you should give people opportunities to learn and grow. If Leonard will put in the time to learn from this and become a better person, I don't want him to face devastating consequences. For example, I would be disappointed if the Heat cut him or suspended him for the season, or if he had a hard time finding work in the NBA for this.
If he were to never appear in an NBA game again, I'd say that's a little strong, but that wouldn't be a Miami decision. But to get suspended for the rest of the season, I don't know if I'd consider that an egregious punishment.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5210
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by specialsauce » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:13 pm

This team is in need of athleticism. LMA doesn’t have it. But I’d still take him I guess.

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 4679
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by The Bobster » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:21 pm

Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:56 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:06 pm
It isn't a punishment. It is just when you miss a third of your games during your peak, you aren't going to get credit for what you might have done if you could play.

And much like Karl Malone, he isn't going to be on a lot of all-time great lists because of the child molestation issues.
Yes, but going strictly by how good he was when healthy on the court would put him at a different level than if evaluating off the court issues or what he wasn’t able to do on the court due to missed games/less-than-fully-healthy games.
So if Zion only lasts 3-4 seasons before breaking down, but plays at an all-nba level, he can still make the hall or be considered one of the best ever?
Ralph Sampson is in the HOF.
Sampson was 3-time College Player of the Year though.

Zion doesn't have that kind of resume.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Indy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 pm

pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:11 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 am
The thing about Meyers Leonard is, he can say he didn't know what that word meant. But if he said it so casually in his gaming stream, he has heard and said it before. He probably hangs out in a circle of guys who casually throw out edgy words like "the N word," or the "F word" for gays, or this "K word" for Jews, without hesitation. And it just seeps into your vocabulary. He probably didn't realize how not-cool it was to say that word in a general context.

I don't want to launch into a whole political argument about cancel culture in the main section. My personal opinion is that you should call people out strongly when they make mistakes or do things that are wrong, but you should give people opportunities to learn and grow. If Leonard will put in the time to learn from this and become a better person, I don't want him to face devastating consequences. For example, I would be disappointed if the Heat cut him or suspended him for the season, or if he had a hard time finding work in the NBA for this.
If he were to never appear in an NBA game again, I'd say that's a little strong, but that wouldn't be a Miami decision. But to get suspended for the rest of the season, I don't know if I'd consider that an egregious punishment.
Exactly. Who would expect to keep their job if this happened to them? Any of you? If I heard one of my employees say this, I would go straight to legal and HR advocating for their termination.

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by virtual9mm » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Why are the Spurs phasing out LMA? Still a productive player. Would be the perfect complement to the bench.

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1593
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by pickle » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:38 pm

He's not really a productive starter anymore. He's dealt with some injury issues and apparently lost the new-found three point shot and paint protection abilities from last season, when averaged something like a career high 1.7 threes and 1.6 blocks per game. They have more or less converted to small ball with Keldon Johnson and DeRozan up front, and Poeltl is a much better rim protector and rebounder.

What does worry me is whether LMA can accept a 7th or 8th man role. If he can, he's another big body to throw against those bigger centers in the playoffs for when Ayton gets into foul trouble, and he can certainly teach Ayton a thing or two in practice, if he were so inclined to accept such a role. I'd still prefer Nance, Young, and Bjelica, but I would certainly not be disappointed in LMA.

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12330
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Split T » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:10 pm

Aldridge loves that midrange shot, I’m not sure we want him teaching Ayton, haha.
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5210
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by specialsauce » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 pm

It makes no sense. He wants out of SA assuming to get regular PT. I have no interest in him taking Dario’s minutes as backup 5. He’d be looking at Frank’s role, which I don’t see him being okay with.

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12330
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Split T » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 pm
It makes no sense. He wants out of SA assuming to get regular PT. I have no interest in him taking Dario’s minutes as backup 5. He’d be looking at Frank’s role, which I don’t see him being okay with.
Yep, he’s not coming here. Boston or Portland probably. They can give him minutes.
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 7095
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Cap » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:31 pm

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:21 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:56 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:06 pm
It isn't a punishment. It is just when you miss a third of your games during your peak, you aren't going to get credit for what you might have done if you could play.

And much like Karl Malone, he isn't going to be on a lot of all-time great lists because of the child molestation issues.
Yes, but going strictly by how good he was when healthy on the court would put him at a different level than if evaluating off the court issues or what he wasn’t able to do on the court due to missed games/less-than-fully-healthy games.
So if Zion only lasts 3-4 seasons before breaking down, but plays at an all-nba level, he can still make the hall or be considered one of the best ever?
Ralph Sampson is in the HOF.
Sampson was 3-time College Player of the Year though.

Zion doesn't have that kind of resume.
Sampson was 3-time CPOY and had 2 kick-ass NBA seasons before starting to break down. If Zion is 1-time CPOY (his only season in college) and has 4 kick-ass NBA seasons before breaking down, isn’t that at least an equal resume?

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 1593
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by pickle » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:45 pm

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 pm
It makes no sense. He wants out of SA assuming to get regular PT. I have no interest in him taking Dario’s minutes as backup 5. He’d be looking at Frank’s role, which I don’t see him being okay with.
Yep, he’s not coming here. Boston or Portland probably. They can give him minutes.
That's probably right. He would certainly have other destinations, though other than the Raptors and Nets I'm not sure he would get a starting role in any other scenario. Would Boston start him over Theis?

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12330
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by Split T » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:38 am

pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:45 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 pm
It makes no sense. He wants out of SA assuming to get regular PT. I have no interest in him taking Dario’s minutes as backup 5. He’d be looking at Frank’s role, which I don’t see him being okay with.
Yep, he’s not coming here. Boston or Portland probably. They can give him minutes.
That's probably right. He would certainly have other destinations, though other than the Raptors and Nets I'm not sure he would get a starting role in any other scenario. Would Boston start him over Theis?
Probably not, I think his starting days are over.
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

Post Reply