Suns News: Week 12 3/8-3/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns News: Week 12 3/8-3/14

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Who's James Jones? Emo McGavinsauce is the only source I trust.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

If Aldridge gets bought out, do we bring him in as a back up to Ayton as a true C?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:35 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:12 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:50 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:34 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 pm

There isn't a single team I don't think the Suns couldn't beat in a seven-game series.
OK, I like your optimism. But that wasn't what was said. It was the Lakers and Nets would be favored to win against the Suns, if everyone was at full health. Same is probably true for the Clips, Jazz and (maybe) Nuggets. I would bet on us against 3 of those 5 teams if I had to bet the house. But not all 5.
I know what was said, Indy. And I know what the odds are. I simply just don't give a shit.
YSMF!!!

That’s the mindset we need!! The Bubble mind set all over again... if you don’t mind, this would be my new sig...
Haha, go for it, Aztec. Anything to stick it to Indy!🤣
LOL I fully support that mindset.

pickle

Post by pickle »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:34 pm
The only trade for Nance that makes sense for the Suns is one where Crowder or Cam Johnson go. From a minutes perspective anyway. You can't trade for him and play him less than 25ish minutes per game. You can't just add him to the rotation without taking someone out. Sure, he can have Kaminsy's minutes. But the rest have to come from wings playing the 4.
And Nader... Crowder can play some 3, and so can Cam. I still think we need that 4 off the bench (or even starting) who can hold down the fort with the starters and be a luxury against the reserves. Heard on some podcast that the Bulls love Young and will not be moving him. I still want the Suns to get in on Bjelica sweepstakes if Nance is out of our price range.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm

If Aldridge gets bought out, do we bring him in as a back up to Ayton as a true C?
I actually don't mind that idea on paper, and they can bring in Tyson Chandler on a ten day contract to help welcome him to the team. But Aldridge has had ego issues in the past so I am a little worried about that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Aldridge is washed, I’d pass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 pm
I was thinking the same. I mean, Pop has the Spurs in 7th place in the West. It isn't like they are tanking or out of the playoffs. If he is happy to get rid of him, and the publicly announce it, they aren't getting much for him. He must be done.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I certainly wouldn't trade for him, but I'd love him for playoff insurance. Cam Johnson is out for COVID stuff right now and it hurts a little bit, but the Suns will be in serious trouble if they miss Saric or Crowder for most of a playoff series.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:40 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 pm
I was thinking the same. I mean, Pop has the Spurs in 7th place in the West. It isn't like they are tanking or out of the playoffs. If he is happy to get rid of him, and the publicly announce it, they aren't getting much for him. He must be done.
I think we'd be disappointed if we are expecting 16 and 8 LMA, but if we just want him to be a solid first big off the bench behind Ayton, or even second big depending on matchups, and insurance against Ayton's foul trouble, he'd do just fine. He had a couple of high 20 point games this season and while he's not playing as well as before, I think his fg% is in the low 40s, not mid 30s like Blake. Definitely have more interest in him than in Blake for sure.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:51 pm
I certainly wouldn't trade for him, but I'd love him for playoff insurance. Cam Johnson is out for COVID stuff right now and it hurts a little bit, but the Suns will be in serious trouble if they miss Saric or Crowder for most of a playoff series.
Right there with you FF. Assuming he's actually willing to come to the Suns, my only concern would be ego, whether he's willing to accept that reduced role.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:34 pm
Who's James Jones? Emo McGavinsauce is the only source I trust.
Lollllll.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If he wants the Kaminsky minutes, sure, but I’m not giving him any of Saric or Ayton’s minutes. He’s just not that good anymore.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Kevin Pelton doesn't mention Phoenix in this.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... stinations

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yeah, I don't think it's likely at all. As much as I'd like Aldridge in the Frank role, he's probably not eager to sign with the Suns to play 10-14 minutes a game.

I know the Spurs want to trade him, but that'll only happen if there are two teams who really want him. Even then, those teams would probably just wait it out and battle each other in the buyout market. My gut is telling me he'll go to Miami or Toronto if they keep Lowry.

Side thought that just came to mind when thinking of the Raptors. Since they're playing in Tampa Bay, are they paying (not paying) income tax in Florida?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Miami makes some sense. He can replace Meyers Leonard.

Would you guys have interest in Javale as a buyout guy? He’d be an easier fit to where we’d just say, hey you might play a few minutes here and there, but no locked in rotation minutes.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:16 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 am
pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 am
I'd also add Bridges and maybe Payne to that group. At this point Bridges feels like a Marion type third wheel. Good at many things, but not great at the one thing you kind of need in a tough playoff match up -- dependable crunch time scoring. I also have some hopes for Payne to become a very dependable 6th man, as Paul ages and Ayton continues to improve. Hopefully we can lock him up this off season at a reasonable rate while he continues to grow.
I don't know, his shooting/cutting/defense are all borderline great. He's our Shane Battier. Super glue guy. Gluperstar if you will.
I will not.
Try it. Feels good.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 pm
Yeah, I don't think it's likely at all. As much as I'd like Aldridge in the Frank role, he's probably not eager to sign with the Suns to play 10-14 minutes a game.

I know the Spurs want to trade him, but that'll only happen if there are two teams who really want him. Even then, those teams would probably just wait it out and battle each other in the buyout market. My gut is telling me he'll go to Miami or Toronto if they keep Lowry.

Side thought that just came to mind when thinking of the Raptors. Since they're playing in Tampa Bay, are they paying (not paying) income tax in Florida?
They don't. I read somewhere a while ago that the players pay tax based on the place where they performed their work duties. Meaning for the games that they are on the road outside of Florida and Texas, they still do pay state tax in those respective states. But having half their home games in Florida means half their game-based pay don't get taxed by Florida.

B/R had a story on potential landing spots, and I guess Cleveland is mildly interesting with Drummond going back to the Spurs, but the assumption there is that the Spurs attach a second rounder, and that LMA may get bought out thereafter.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:14 pm
Ya Miami makes some sense. He can replace Meyers Leonard.

Would you guys have interest in Javale as a buyout guy? He’d be an easier fit to where we’d just say, hey you might play a few minutes here and there, but no locked in rotation minutes.
Yes I like him. I would even put up a late second for him tbh. Not sure what his contract situation is though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oatmeal wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:16 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:57 am
pickle wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 am
I'd also add Bridges and maybe Payne to that group. At this point Bridges feels like a Marion type third wheel. Good at many things, but not great at the one thing you kind of need in a tough playoff match up -- dependable crunch time scoring. I also have some hopes for Payne to become a very dependable 6th man, as Paul ages and Ayton continues to improve. Hopefully we can lock him up this off season at a reasonable rate while he continues to grow.
I don't know, his shooting/cutting/defense are all borderline great. He's our Shane Battier. Super glue guy. Gluperstar if you will.
I will not.
Try it. Feels good.
Alright. You convinced me. Gluperstar it is. Fun to type too.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Given that this gluperstar thing gets passed around while my original post is repeated quoted, I feel like I should say something. I'm not down on Mikal. I love him, and was super excited that we got him that year. I remember some talk that McDonough was actually targeting SGA but was overruled into getting Mikal, and for once I wasn't bummed at the near miss. Otoh I still think Mikal needs to grow into a playmaker, which I'm not sure is in him. I hope it is. In the meantime, I still want us to acquire a scorer with less of a conscience, Jordan Clarkson style.