Game Day: Suns (24-11) @ Blazers (21-14), Thurs 3/11/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Suns (24-11) @ Blazers (21-14), Thurs 3/11/21

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:38 pm
Path could quite easily be KP/Ibaka/Gobert/Jeff Green
I'd LOVE that path.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Path could quite easily be KP/Ibaka/Gobert/Jeff Green
Certainly could. We have excellent defenders at the 1 and 3 though CP3 is small and Bridges is a string bean, Crowder is slightly above average but extremely versatile defender at the 4. The 2 spot is one that needs to be protected somewhat. I really don't want to add another net negative defender at center. At least that position needs to be able to generate more offense than it coughs up in a playoff setting.

Certainly offensive players of Collins/Vucevic's ilk combined with even league average defense would be superstars and not available, but I guess I'd rather go after someone who is slightly above average on both ends than to totally sacrifice defense for offense. If we had to get rid of Ayton for someone and jump through a ton of cap gymnastics to get there, I'd rather go for a Horford or Marc Gasol from last season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Fair point. I don't know. When the Nets made that trade I wasn't a huge fan, but I'm coming around. I guess it's just hard for me to trust in a guy like Kyrie to keep it together when things go south. Maybe they're so talented that it never goes south, and I'll eat some crow.

OTOH I also don't want to watch Collins matched up against KD.

Let's say we replace Embiid with Gobert. Also don't want to watch Collins try to contain the pick and roll and stop the lob threat from Conley to Gobert.
All fair points. It just feels like we never know with DA. Are we getting the kindergartener or the adult? It isn't even flipping a coin. It is like trying to roll snake eyes to get the adult, and 7 for the kiddie.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:44 pm
pickle wrote:
Fair point. I don't know. When the Nets made that trade I wasn't a huge fan, but I'm coming around. I guess it's just hard for me to trust in a guy like Kyrie to keep it together when things go south. Maybe they're so talented that it never goes south, and I'll eat some crow.

OTOH I also don't want to watch Collins matched up against KD.

Let's say we replace Embiid with Gobert. Also don't want to watch Collins try to contain the pick and roll and stop the lob threat from Conley to Gobert.
All fair points. It just feels like we never know with DA. Are we getting the kindergartener or the adult? It isn't even flipping a coin. It is like trying to roll snake eyes to get the adult, and 7 for the kiddie.
I get the frustration, believe me. I have Ayton in a keeper fantasy league where I can have him for another three seasons, and I definitely want him to be aggressive and approach the 20/10/1.8 blocks guy that I thought I drafted. On the other hand, he's already on the team, doesn't take himself too seriously, does plenty of the thankless jobs, doesn't get too many plays run for him, takes an inordinate amount of flack from fans and pundits alike for being drafted before Doncic, and still plugs away day in and day out without disrupting the locker room chemistry. The "come back an OG" comment was a bit cringe worthy, but at least he owned up to his mistake. Oh, and he's a pretty solid defensive player with one of the better at rim defensive % figures. I don't want to throw that away.

Someone mentioned recently that Ayton never puts the ball on the floor, which I hope is something he can pick up over the coming summer or two. As much as his game is flawed, Ayton's floor is a solid starter who makes a significant impact on the defensive end; my gripe with him is -- probably preaching to the choir here -- that he doesn't have that fire in him, and that his timeline doesn't fit CP3's, and that he might get a contract that's greater than his value on the court, which is extra challenging for this team because Sarver.

Also I realize this is just a fan board with impassioned followers of the team who react off the cuff to his game to game performance, so ... keep throwing trade scenarios out there, kinda fun to think through them. Ultimately I'm just trying to offer some alternative perspective on the man-child.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's noteworthy that while most of the league has deemphasized big men and centers, most of the top 5-6 teams in the league do have really good big men.

Lakers: Davis
Jazz: Gobert
Nuggets: Jokic
76ers: Embiid (probable MVP)

And so on. Sure, several teams don't have a dominant traditional big (Nets, Clippers, Bucks). But still. Big men aren't as dead as they would have you believe.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I would argue that Giannis needs to embrace that center role eventually for the Bucks to maximize their potential. Trouble is they have very little depth right now and Lopez is one of the top 5-6 players in their rotation in terms of on court impact.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Was proud to see the Suns keep their poise and come on strong in the 4th to take the win.

BTW, Dame Lillard needs some MVP recognition.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:28 am
I think it's noteworthy that while most of the league has deemphasized big men and centers, most of the top 5-6 teams in the league do have really good big men.

Lakers: Davis
Jazz: Gobert
Nuggets: Jokic
76ers: Embiid (probable MVP)
3 of 4 of those guys play at a hall-of-fame level; they aren't just "really good."
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:28 am
Sure, several teams don't have a dominant traditional big (Nets, Clippers, Bucks). But still. Big men aren't as dead as they would have you believe.
I don't think anyone is saying Big Men are dead. In fact, just the opposite. There is an abundance of productive NBA centers, but a shortage of true stars at that position. Even the three teams you list: Zubac (Clippers) can essentially get you a double-double any time you need him too; Brook Lopez is a very important part of Milwaukee's team success (rim protection, stretching the floor); DeAndre Jordan, though he has a lost a step, still is a lob threat and a force on the boards.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.