Game Day: Suns (24-11) @ Blazers (21-14), Thurs 3/11/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Game Day: Suns (24-11) @ Blazers (21-14), Thurs 3/11/21

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 pm
Mr. Lady Hands got the ball stolen again when it should have been a dunk
I've only been referring to him with my nickname for him lately, "Hands". The weird thing is that he actually has huge hands, but they are Palmolive soft and weak.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This stat was prior to the game and is basically from the bubble run til now

So make that Suns 33-11 and 21-5 in games with Dario :o 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

jonh wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:18 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 am
jonh wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:52 am
I'd rather get the 4 seed and have Devin Booker rest for a few weeks to make sure he is healthy than have the 2 or 1 seed and risk a knee injury.
I understand that, if there is injury risk I’d rest him, but I really want a top 3 seed. Denver is going to get that 5 seed and I don’t want to play them round 1. I think that’s a tough series and I really want this team advancing at least 1 round. I’d feel pretty good facing any of Portland, GS, Dallas, SA, or Memphis in round 1.

Dream scenario would be
1. Utah
2. Phoenix
3. LAC
4. LAL
5. Denver
6. Portland
7. San Antonio(but they won’t be here, so I’ll say Dallas)
8. Golden State

We’ve kinda owned Dallas for 3 years now. 3-0 this year. Give me them and then LAC/Portland in round 2. Avoid the Lakers till the WCF.
Agreed on all of the above. It could be a harder road in the playoffs if the Suns dropped.

But even if the Suns get the 1 seed, but Booker's injury doesn't heal or gets worse, there is no situation in which the Suns contend this season (and with knee injuries, perhaps next season).

Im not a Suns trainer. I don't know Booker's actual health. I know he loves to play and push himself. I would handle his health with kid gloves as we go down the stretch.
Nobody is.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:51 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:36 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 am
I'd love for Portland to see the Clippers or Lakers in the 1st round.
Ya, when healthy I think they’re the most dangerous team at the bottom of the playoff standings. Give the LA teams Denver and Portland
If they get CJ and Nurk back and put it all together, the Suns are still the team no one wants to face.
Fixed it for you

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:55 am
Great win last night! Felt a bit like a Spurs-type of game from us, hanging around down 8-10 points but keeping within striking distance and then by the middle of the 4th we're up the 8-10 pts and closing it out. Just a nice steadiness from the team, sticking with the offense and tightening up the defense until the Blazers started missing a few.
I was thinking the same thing this morning. It reminded me of our old series against the Spurs where we would be up most of the game only to lose at the end.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 am
jonh wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:52 am
I'd rather get the 4 seed and have Devin Booker rest for a few weeks to make sure he is healthy than have the 2 or 1 seed and risk a knee injury.
I understand that, if there is injury risk I’d rest him, but I really want a top 3 seed. Denver is going to get that 5 seed and I don’t want to play them round 1. I think that’s a tough series and I really want this team advancing at least 1 round. I’d feel pretty good facing any of Portland, GS, Dallas, SA, or Memphis in round 1.

Dream scenario would be
1. Utah
2. Phoenix
3. LAC
4. LAL
5. Denver
6. Portland
7. San Antonio(but they won’t be here, so I’ll say Dallas)
8. Golden State

We’ve kinda owned Dallas for 3 years now. 3-0 this year. Give me them and then LAC/Portland in round 2. Avoid the Lakers till the WCF.
That would be great to knock off the Spurs in the first round. Bygones.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:42 am
I didn’t watch last night, but sounds like another dud for DA...I’ll try to stop mentioning it, but I’d really just trade him now. It’s clearly selling short, but give me Nance, McGee and a protected 1st and I’ll take it. At this point we’ll be closing games in the playoffs with Saric anyways.
I don't disagree with the premise, but that would be an awful, awful return for Ayton and a fire-able offense for Jones.

I just want Ayton to get back to where he was last year. I'd be happy with that. Is that too much to ask? Is he broken?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm
Split T wrote:
I didn’t watch last night, but sounds like another dud for DA...I’ll try to stop mentioning it, but I’d really just trade him now. It’s clearly selling short, but give me Nance, McGee and a protected 1st and I’ll take it. At this point we’ll be closing games in the playoffs with Saric anyways.
I don't disagree with the premise, but that would be an awful, awful return for Ayton and a fire-able offense for Jones.

I just want Ayton to get back to where he was last year. I'd be happy with that. Is that too much to ask? Is he broken?
Has anyone tried turning him off and on again?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

I’m worried he is. We used to at least get flashes every few games or so. He’s been pretty meh since that 4 game stretch when we thought he figured it out. I just know I’m going to be really frustrated with him come playoff time and just wanting us to play Saric. I hope he makes me eat my words.

And ya, it’s a poor return. I just don’t really see what we can do with him. If he lays a dud in the playoffs, what do we do with him? He’ll be up for an extension and I think he’s clearly headed for less money than Bridges at this point...I’m sure we could move him in the offseason, but how much would we get? We have a short window right now with CP3 and we need to make each year count.

I’m just frustrated with his play and would rather not have to worry about it anymore...of course that’s not the best reason to trade someone...good thing I’m not the gm

Indy

Post by Indy »

When you have to really think about who has been better this year between Ayton, Saric and effing Frank Kaminski, you know Ayton is broken.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:42 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

I’m worried he is. We used to at least get flashes every few games or so. He’s been pretty meh since that 4 game stretch when we thought he figured it out. I just know I’m going to be really frustrated with him come playoff time and just wanting us to play Saric. I hope he makes me eat my words.

And ya, it’s a poor return. I just don’t really see what we can do with him. If he lays a dud in the playoffs, what do we do with him? He’ll be up for an extension and I think he’s clearly headed for less money than Bridges at this point...I’m sure we could move him in the offseason, but how much would we get? We have a short window right now with CP3 and we need to make each year count.

I’m just frustrated with his play and would rather not have to worry about it anymore...of course that’s not the best reason to trade someone...good thing I’m not the gm
Then sign him for 15 million a year and call him a bargain.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

Well I’d love to...I have serious doubts about getting him that cheap though...he clearly won’t sign that extension this summer. He’d push it out to restricted free agency and then we’re at the mercy of what other teams will pay...and I guarantee someone will give him more than 15 million a year.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:54 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

Well I’d love to...I have serious doubts about getting him that cheap though...he clearly won’t sign that extension this summer. He’d push it out to restricted free agency and then we’re at the mercy of what other teams will pay...and I guarantee someone will give him more than 15 million a year.
CP3 will be coming off the books by then and we'll have a championship under our belts. Let him go to the highest bidder.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don’t see it that way. He has his weaknesses. He has his nights where he isn’t so great. He seems to be kind of a slow learner and has questionable hands. He keeps the ball low instead of high where no guards can steal it. He seems to avoid dunking the ball. It can be frustrating to watch this perfect human specimen of a center’s not perform as we expect. Kanter had his way with Ayton on the boards. Ayton is #8 in boards. Kanter is #3. Perhaps a teaching moment for Ayton.

He has his nights where he kind of kicks ass and kind of dominates too. I can see where they have worked on and gotten better at the pick and roll with him this year. He overall stats are pretty impressive. Ayton was picked #1 over Doncic. Unless he’s the most dominant big man to ever put on a uniform he will be always be a disappointment to lot of Suns fans. Trade him now because he sucks? I don’t see it that way. Monty has been rewarding the best players that night with minutes in crunch time and Ayton doesn’t always get to play those minutes. Watching Dario dominate the paint in the fourth quarter is another teaching moment for Ayton. I am pulling for the guy even though he frustrates me. I am not for pushing a trade. I don’t think he is broken. He may never be the greatest center the NBA has ever seen but, so what? You guys would really take Kaminsky over Ayton as your center?

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Anyone else think the suns should do this with Ayton until he learns to catch some balls?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mgFZJ8v9Rdo

Split T

Post by Split T »

No one wants Kaminsky over Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:42 pm
No one wants Kaminsky over Ayton
Exactly.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm
I don’t see it that way. He has his weaknesses. He has his nights where he isn’t so great. He seems to be kind of a slow learner and has questionable hands. He keeps the ball low instead of high where no guards can steal it. He seems to avoid dunking the ball. It can be frustrating to watch this perfect human specimen of a center’s not perform as we expect. Kanter had his way with Ayton on the boards. Ayton is #8 in boards. Kanter is #3. Perhaps a teaching moment for Ayton.

He has his nights where he kind of kicks ass and kind of dominates too. I can see where they have worked on and gotten better at the pick and roll with him this year. He overall stats are pretty impressive. Ayton was picked #1 over Doncic. Unless he’s the most dominant big man to ever put on a uniform he will be always be a disappointment to lot of Suns fans. Trade him now because he sucks? I don’t see it that way. Monty has been rewarding the best players that night with minutes in crunch time and Ayton doesn’t always get to play those minutes. Watching Dario dominate the paint in the fourth quarter is another teaching moment for Ayton. I am pulling for the guy even though he frustrates me. I am not for pushing a trade. I don’t think he is broken. He may never be the greatest center the NBA has ever seen but, so what? You guys would really take Kaminsky over Ayton as your center?
So do you give him a max (or near max) contract? Because if you don't, someone else will. And then he will be gone and the Suns will get nothing for him.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Maybe someone should pay more attention when Ayton says he wants to pay his respects to Rasheed Wallace before the game.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:04 pm
Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:17 pm

So do you give him a max (or near max) contract? Because if you don't, someone else will. And then he will be gone and the Suns will get nothing for him.
No you trade him