Around the League: Week 13 3/15-3/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Around the League: Week 13 3/15-3/21

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:17 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:31 pm
jonh wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:31 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:07 am
Reports have Ugly Birds looking to trade Ball, Bledsoe and/or Reddick.
Bledsoe shooting OK from the arc, but less than 70% on free throws.
Reddick may not have much gas in the tank.
Ball has improved his shooting, but not the great playmaker some expected (although he had 17 assists last night)
I could see them moving Adams, also, for a quicker, more defensive oriented 4/5.
Whats the potential asking price for Ball? I imagine too much for what we would want to offer?
You'd also be pushing Cam Payne out of the rotation. I'm not sure how I'd feel about replacing his production with Ball.
On the upside, rather than a ball and chain, we'd have a Ball and Payne.
No Payne, no gain.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:17 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:31 pm
jonh wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:31 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:07 am
Reports have Ugly Birds looking to trade Ball, Bledsoe and/or Reddick.
Bledsoe shooting OK from the arc, but less than 70% on free throws.
Reddick may not have much gas in the tank.
Ball has improved his shooting, but not the great playmaker some expected (although he had 17 assists last night)
I could see them moving Adams, also, for a quicker, more defensive oriented 4/5.
Whats the potential asking price for Ball? I imagine too much for what we would want to offer?
You'd also be pushing Cam Payne out of the rotation. I'm not sure how I'd feel about replacing his production with Ball.
On the upside, rather than a ball and chain, we'd have a Ball and Payne.
No Payne, no gain.
No Ball, no fall.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Lonzo Ball will get a new contract earning $15M+ per year this summer. It doesn't make sense for the Suns to trade for him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I have liked Lonzo for a while now, and I'd say he's a solid player if you look past the Lavar stuff and the early expectations on him. I think he actually is a decent fit with our lineup as well, and am not terribly worried about Payne as the two of them offer different looks. What I'd be more concerned with is what FF said, the contract offers he'd be getting this summer and whether we'd be able to stomach that price tag.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 am
I just watched the end. The Pelicans folded like a child’s origami project. Ingram calmly went to the FT line with 7 seconds remaining, up 3 and missed both free throws. Blazers made a basket to get within one. Pelicans boofed the inbounds pass off the receivers hands out of bounds. Bledsoe fouled Lillard on his shot attempt (very similar to Booker’s uncalled foul at the end of the Hornets game) and he made his two free throws to win by one.
I watched the game and the TNT broadcast was awful. They are obviously on a delayed feed but the play by play guy (Ian Eagle?) kept calling it with excitement as if he were in the arena, and that fraction of a delay makes the excitement feel totally manufactured.

The Blazers were actually doing their best not to win this game, that foul on Ingram, they had an opportunity to foul both Bledsoe (68%) and Lonzo (77%) but let 10 seconds come off the clock and fouled Ingram (88%). Worked out in the end though.

Lillard did jam the thumb on his shooting hand. Felt like he was push-shooting most of his free throws.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Also Naz Little seems like a solid defender.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I have no idea how Houston got anything for PJ Tucker. He has been awful. Should have been a buyout candidate, but Milwaukee is really desperate.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Milwaukee now has complete control over only one of its own draft picks over the next seven years, in 2022, after giving up the rights to this year's as a swap for a second rounder and giving Houston their 2023 pick unprotected. They were already swapping (2024 and 2026) or had traded away (2025 and 2027) the rest in the Jrue Holiday deal. Desperate times, indeed.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm sure there are some good aspects about living in Milwaukee, but if I were an NBA player (lol), Milwaukee would be in my bottom five of cities to live.

In reverse order, #1 being the worst.

#5 - New Orleans - I'm 86.3% sure that franchise is cursed and they have voodoo down there, so I'm probably right.
#4 - Minneapolis - It's cold and I'm pretty sure no one would really miss the Wolves if they left.
#3 - Sacramento - All of the terrible parts of California (taxes, assholes) and not enough of the good parts (beaches and... beaches?)
#2 - Milwaukee - Similar to Minneapolis but with fresh dairy and beer. Not sure I'd drink a lot of beer if I were in the NBA.
#1 - Oklahoma City - My grandfather once described Oklahoma as 'The End of the Earth', and I believed him. So if it's the end, it should be the last place on my list.

#0 - Cleveland - Just kidding. There's more. I once had a layover at the Cleveland airport and felt like I was teleported to the 1960's. That was 10 years ago.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Man, I’m watching the end of the Buck/76ers game and I’m being transported back to the 80s. As in 80-80 with 3 minutes remaining.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I was about to say the Bucks finished strong to win but then the 76ers came storming back to tie it in regulation. Bonus basketball.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bucks pulled it out in OT.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 pm
I have no idea how Houston got anything for PJ Tucker. He has been awful. Should have been a buyout candidate, but Milwaukee is really desperate.
Agreed. In a trade, a 2021 expiring PJ Tucker would have been worth at most a couple of second rounders, if that. An unprotected 1stR+ is simply extravagant. MIL truly must be feeling the heat with Giannis. He resigned, but that means nothing today. My guess is that if they don't make the finals soon (this year or next one) he is going to demand a trade.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:45 am
Lets trade Frank and Smith for Kawhi and see if we can resurrect his career. 8-)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Is anybody scared of the Clips? Aren't they the biggest fake contender in the league right now? I think the Lakers, Suns, Jazz, and Nuggets would beat them in a 7-game series for sure. Maybe the Blazers, too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I feel like that’s a common feeling across the nba. No one is worried about them after last years playoffs. I still think they’re going to be a tough team to beat this year. I don’t really put much stock into last years playoff. They weren’t in the right mindset.

They’ve still got the ability to be a pretty elite defensive team that can switch everything and they have 2 go to scorers. I’d be a little worried about them not having a true pg to get them in the flow at times, but I don’t think they’re fake. I don’t think they’re on the Lakers level(when healthy), but I think they’re better than Utah or Denver.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

They've got a potential depth problem at their big positions, and really need both Ibaka and Zubac healthy, or they end up with Morris closing games as their de facto center.

Point guard is also a problem, and I'd be surprised if they don't make some sort of a move to help out one or both of those weaknesses.

Split T

Post by Split T »

BKinSJC wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:02 am
They've got a potential depth problem at their big positions, and really need both Ibaka and Zubac healthy, or they end up with Morris closing games as their de facto center.

Point guard is also a problem, and I'd be surprised if they don't make some sort of a move to help out one or both of those weaknesses.
They closed with Morris at Center when they beat the Jazz earlier this year. I don’t think that’s a terrible option for them against most teams.

If they are healthy I think Ibaka/Zubac is plenty. The pg spot is the bigger issue IMO. Not feasible salary wise, but they would have been an awesome fit for Lowry.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Re: Clips point guards ... Williams and Jackson are more scorers than distributors. Beverly is great on defense but erratic on offense. Perhaps the thinking is that Leonard and George would spread the ball around, but that has not been the case.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?