Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12328
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Split T » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 pm

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 pm
Don’t think Monty had the right game plan defensively...admitted as much post game. Think we’ll see us defend differently tomorrow. Should have adjusted and thrown another defender into the KAT/ANT pick n roll. Those 2 were the only ones doing anything until the end.
I'm happy with Monty in general but not trying to hear that. I could understand if Wolves had some wrinkle going in the 4th and we struggled to adjust. They were doing the same thing whole game, KAT n Edwards had 41 of the 53 at Half iirc.
So Plan B should have been implemented at some point not wait til tomorrow
Oh well sigh smh
Ya I don’t know what he was thinking. We had the lead the whole time...maybe thought we’d pull it out anyways and didn’t want to risk any big adjustments. Not gonna lie, Ayton may not do well with a big defensive adjustment mid game. But they were shredding us with Saric out there too. And most of it was just Edwards taking turns beating all our guys off the dribble.

I think you said it, we needed to play a little off ANT and cheat off Okogie, force ANT to give the ball up or beat us with jump shots.
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 6420
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by O_Gardino » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:59 pm

Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 pm
Don’t think Monty had the right game plan defensively...admitted as much post game. Think we’ll see us defend differently tomorrow. Should have adjusted and thrown another defender into the KAT/ANT pick n roll. Those 2 were the only ones doing anything until the end.
I'm happy with Monty in general but not trying to hear that. I could understand if Wolves had some wrinkle going in the 4th and we struggled to adjust. They were doing the same thing whole game, KAT n Edwards had 41 of the 53 at Half iirc.
So Plan B should have been implemented at some point not wait til tomorrow
Oh well sigh smh
Ya I don’t know what he was thinking. We had the lead the whole time...maybe thought we’d pull it out anyways and didn’t want to risk any big adjustments. Not gonna lie, Ayton may not do well with a big defensive adjustment mid game. But they were shredding us with Saric out there too. And most of it was just Edwards taking turns beating all our guys off the dribble.

I think you said it, we needed to play a little off ANT and cheat off Okogie, force ANT to give the ball up or beat us with jump shots.
I was just about to post this. The Suns did not make the defensive adjustment they needed to make at halftime.

The Wolves, on the other hand, did. Book had 5 FTA in the first half and 2 in the second. We can complain about the officiating all we want, but the Wolves adjusted to the way the game was called and the Suns did not.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 6420
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by O_Gardino » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:01 pm

djy2j wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Sometimes I wonder how good DA would have been if he had come to the NBA when he was still young enough to jump. It's a testament to his tremendous athleticism that he can still move like this in his late 30s.
I’ll cut him some slack. He’s probably just worn out from being the only NBA player with a kid.
Your patience with him didn't last long. :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Shabazz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:23 am

Dario missing on purpose, down 2 with 7 seconds left was dumb. Dario missing on purpose, down 2 with 7 seconds left and Kaminsky and Paul as the rebounders was galaxy brain dumb.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Shabazz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 am

Torrey Craig would have been nice against Edwards.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 4429
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 am
Torrey Craig would have been nice against Edwards.
Put aside what you want to believe about Torrey Craig on the Suns.

The best he'd have done against Edwards is maybe get him to take an extra bad shot or possibly fouled him well enough to prevent the and one.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 7699
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by ShelC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:46 am






















User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 7699
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by ShelC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:21 am

Meh, shit game. We were mostly flat, only Book and maybe Mikal seemed really locked in. We let them hang around, let Edwards do what he wanted and then KAT got hot and we paid the price. First ineffective game for Dario in...ever? He looked a little tired and had trouble with KAT and Reid's size and athleticism. Thought Edwards was getting way too many superstar calls for a rook yet Book hardly gets a whistle. DA was DA. He rarely gets the better of the matchup against top bigs at this point. No show of force, no dominayton, no aggression...just is what it is. Good to see Gallo and Carter get some run. Interested to see what adjustments are made against Edwards and KAT tonight.

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 3438
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by bajanguy008 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 am

No Bueno

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12603
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:38 am

I didn't watch the second half, but it sure looks like we let two guys beat us. KAT is a talented player, but I don't like his body language. He lurches his body around; he looks out of shape and often kind of flails or stumbles to get to his spot or make a play. This was the first game I've seen where Edwards looked like a real stud. It seems like he's starting to figure things out and is on his way to becoming a special player.

It was tough to watch Ayton get in foul trouble and basically get taken out of the game. I don't think he's why we lost, but he didn't help us enough. He seems like he's in a weird middle zone as a center. The center position around the league seems to be morphing into one of two things: some teams have genuine big men like Towns, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert; and the other teams put in a smaller guy who can hit 3s and hopefully provide some defense and rebounds. Ayton is closer to being a true big man, but he isn't quite big enough to stop most of the aforementioned top big centers; he isn't good enough at outside shooting to pull the bigger guys away from the basket; and he isn't strong or aggressive enough in the post to punish most of the smaller centers. His defense is pretty good, but he gets into foul trouble guarding the big centers, and he has trouble switching on smaller players in the P&R. He's stuck in the middle.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Shabazz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:40 am

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 am
Torrey Craig would have been nice against Edwards.
Put aside what you want to believe about Torrey Craig on the Suns.

The best he'd have done against Edwards is maybe get him to take an extra bad shot or possibly fouled him well enough to prevent the and one.
He’s got Crowder’s size but is quicker. The Edwards type is exactly the kind of player he matches up well with.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by In2ition » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:45 am

Once again...it's getting old already. This team continues to play down to it's opponent when playing perceived "inferior" teams. This is a characteristic of weak minded teams, imo. I was watching with a friend and my son, and we were commenting in the 3rd that the Suns were going to lose this game. It wasn't a surprise at all about the outcome. I blame this on the laissez faire attitude to these teams and Monty's bizarre lineups, rotations, and matchups throughout the game.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 20699
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Superbone » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:56 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:38 am
I didn't watch the second half, but it sure looks like we let two guys beat us. KAT is a talented player, but I don't like his body language. He lurches his body around; he looks out of shape and often kind of flails or stumbles to get to his spot or make a play. This was the first game I've seen where Edwards looked like a real stud. It seems like he's starting to figure things out and is on his way to becoming a special player.

It was tough to watch Ayton get in foul trouble and basically get taken out of the game. I don't think he's why we lost, but he didn't help us enough. He seems like he's in a weird middle zone as a center. The center position around the league seems to be morphing into one of two things: some teams have genuine big men like Towns, Embiid, Jokic, Gobert; and the other teams put in a smaller guy who can hit 3s and hopefully provide some defense and rebounds. Ayton is closer to being a true big man, but he isn't quite big enough to stop most of the aforementioned top big centers; he isn't good enough at outside shooting to pull the bigger guys away from the basket; and he isn't strong or aggressive enough in the post to punish most of the smaller centers. His defense is pretty good, but he gets into foul trouble guarding the big centers, and he has trouble switching on smaller players in the P&R. He's stuck in the middle.
Ayton seems to becoming less and less effective by the day. Get some sleep, dude!
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 3438
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by bajanguy008 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:48 pm

Yes it's at our expense but man I don't recall the last time I see him smile/laugh in a press conference

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12603
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Didn't Rubio play poorly for us last year after he had a kid?

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12328
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Game Day: Timberwolves (9-31) @ Suns (26-12), Thurs 3/18/21

Post by Split T » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:04 pm

His first game as a new dad was one of his best of the year, 25/13/8/4, but ya he struggled over the next few weeks before getting it going again.
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

Post Reply