Suns News: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: Suns News: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by SunsRIt »

I could watch Amare highlights all day. Dude was a badass.

Ayton should be locked in a room and made to watch Amare highlights on a loop. For days.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I had sixth row seats when Stoudemire dropped 50 on Portland.
In the fourth quarter, he did a crossover layup on Joel Przybilla and tied the guy into a pretzel....
Przybilla, Theo Ratliff, Zach Randolph and Shareef Abdur Rahim all tried, unsuccessfully, to guard him that night.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What am I saying? Ricky Rubae can play PF. He can do anything.

pickle

Post by pickle »

If Bruce Brown can play center, Rubio can play power forward. He's got the 6'11 wingspan.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 am

Ayton should be locked in a room and made to watch Amare highlights on a loop. For days.
Amare is my favorite Sun of the modern times (2000+). I know Steve is two-time, but watching in his prime was something special.

It makes no sense, but Boris Diaw is my second favorite. Dude was just so talented and special in ‘05-06

Among my least favorite:

The Morii, Gortat, Pj Tucker, LB (loved the guy personally but he drove me insane when he was our backup PG until Goran), Mike James and then prince Kelly

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:41 pm
SunsRIt wrote:

Amare is my favorite Sun of the modern times (2000+). I know Steve is two-time, but watching in his prime was something special.

It makes no sense, but Boris Diaw is my second favorite. Dude was just so talented and special in ‘05-06

Among my least favorite:

The Morii, Gortat, Pj Tucker, LB (loved the guy personally but he drove me insane when he was our backup PG until Goran), Mike James and then prince Kelly
For some reason, this made me think of Kelly taking you on a magic carpet ride while singing A Whole New World.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Slightly random question but I’m in lockdown so not much else to Do. Thoughts on what to do with smith the rest of the season? No guarantees we get another back up Pf/c even though we need one as emergency DA foul trouble coverage for the playoffs.
Not sure why we haven’t sent him back to the g League for development. Because he looked bad last time ? He’s not playing otherwise except in the garbage time of garbage time and just watches cater Jack up a long two before the final buzzer sounds. Well then you have nothing to lose. Otherwise give him a few first half minutes each game. Knit picking given the winning season and it’s not a major priority but is much being gained in terms of skill or confidence riding the bench constantly.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think the Gleague season is over?

I'm not ready to judge Stix on anything just yet but it would be encouraging to see him earning some PT as a rook. Didn't feel great with Frank as our emergency big and now he's out so if something happens to DA or Dario we'll probably get a healthy dose of Craig at the 5.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

It is hilarious to me that Boris is your 2nd favorite player.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's not encouraging for Stix that we can just find a guy on the scrap heap (Craig) who can come right in and steal a bunch of minutes that otherwise would have been perfect to give to Stix.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Craig played a bunch of minutes on a WCF team in the playoffs last year. I know Milwaukee just dumped him, but he’s not a bad player. It’s more of a problem that we had to go re-sign Frank to take his minutes or that Damian Jones was ahead of him on the depth chart to start the season.

Ultimately, I’m giving Jalen a pass this year though. He still has valuable skills. He had a weird year, hopefully he has something to contribute next season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Really no college season last year, no training camp this year, and not much of a G-league either. And almost zero practice time. He was dealt a shitty hand. Oh, and Haliburton has been awesome. :?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:14 am
Really no college season last year, no training camp this year, and not much of a G-league either. And almost zero practice time. He was dealt a shitty hand. Oh, and Haliburton has been awesome. :?
Ya, I think the Haliburton stuff will always be tough to shake, but that’s not Jalen’s fault. Jalen can still be a good player and that’s what I’m hoping for.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:32 am
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

Lol. He was just such a smart player. The nights he decided to be aggressive offensively he was the best player on the court.

I’m going to guess your favorites are Nash and rather LB or Trix.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:54 am
It's not encouraging for Stix that we can just find a guy on the scrap heap (Craig) who can come right in and steal a bunch of minutes that otherwise would have been perfect to give to Stix.
I’m not ready to call him a bust. If we’re in the same place next year where he can’t even crack the rotation through the season, I’ll be ready to toss him onto Bender Island

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:58 pm
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

For some reason, this made me think of Kelly taking you on a magic carpet ride while singing A Whole New World.
I would throw him off the carpet so fast

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:32 am
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

Lol. He was just such a smart player. The nights he decided to be aggressive offensively he was the best player on the court.

I’m going to guess your favorites are Nash and rather LB or Trix.
He was less aggressive than Ayton is, and that is saying a lot. That is why it is hilarious to me.

"Favorite" player is such a weird thing for me, overall. I guess I don't have a lot of favorite players anymore after having KJ be my favorite as a kid. That didn't turn out well. And then I really liked Kidd... same thing. I don't root for individuals as much, or maybe I should say I don't think of them the same way I used to.

If I had to pick a favorite player over the last 20 years, I would go with Joe Johnson. I just loved watching him play basketball while he was a Sun. And having his face broke in half during a playoff game and still staying in to shoot the free throws so he might get to play in the 2nd half said a lot about him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

Amare was the reason I bought season tickets all through the 7SOL days. As soon as he came into the league, I didn't want to miss him doing something that I'd never seen before. So much fun to watch, and so sad how that overtraining knee injury and then micro-fracture surgery limited his ceiling and career. I was happy to be able to tell him after a flight we were on together that he was the reason I bought season tickets, haha.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 am
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

Amare was the reason I bought season tickets all through the 7SOL days. As soon as he came into the league, I didn't want to miss him doing something that I'd never seen before. So much fun to watch, and so sad how that overtraining knee injury and then micro-fracture surgery limited his ceiling and career. I was happy to be able to tell him after a flight we were on together that he was the reason I bought season tickets, haha.
That's cool. I got to talk to him once too when he was at my job for a photo shoot. Nice guy.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:15 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 am
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

That's cool. I got to talk to him once too when he was at my job for a photo shoot. Nice guy.
Follow up to that. I was coming back from LA, and I had torn my MCL and was on crutches. After I told him at the gate after we got off the plane, I eventually ended up in the elevator to the parking garage. I didn't really have anything else to say to him, so there was some awkward silence in the elevator as he was with his guys, haha. This was after he left the Suns, so I'm sure he didn't have a great deal to say good about Sarver at the time.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass