Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12302
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Split T » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 am

KD returns tonight
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:56 am

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:46 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 am
jonh wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:17 am
What would it have taken for us to get Gordon?
I assume Crowder or Saric + Mikal and a 1st. I am not sure they would have taken a package that didn't include Mikal unless we wanted to give up DA instead.
Hmm, Mikal straight up would be a no for me. Denver gave up Harris(bad contract), RJ Hampton(decent prospect), and a 1st, right?

Problem is we wouldn’t really have anything they’d want. Cam Johnson maybe could replace Bridges as the prospect...though I think Orlando would have had more interest in RJ. Don’t think there was a way to beat the Denver offer without giving up Mikal.
Yeah I just can't see it happening without Mikal for them. And he is only at ~5M so we needed quite a bit more salary to match.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:57 am

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 am
KD returns tonight
Good because I have like $178k on them to win.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12598
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Mori Chu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am

I love this year's Suns team, but I think we would lose in a series to the Nuggets if both teams were close to full strength.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I love this year's Suns team, but I think we would lose in a series to the Nuggets if both teams were close to full strength.
If everyone is healthy, and Ayton plays his normal way, probably. But if he is aggressive I think we would beat them.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 7575
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by In2ition » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I love this year's Suns team, but I think we would lose in a series to the Nuggets if both teams were close to full strength.
I wasn't worried about them until the Gordon trade. Seems that he was the perfect piece next to Jokic. I do think that them losing Harris hurts their defense on Booker though.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am

By the way, in 7 career games against Denver, Ayton is averaging 22/13 on 64% shooting and taking over 15 shots a game.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 12598
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Mori Chu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I love this year's Suns team, but I think we would lose in a series to the Nuggets if both teams were close to full strength.
If everyone is healthy, and Ayton plays his normal way, probably. But if he is aggressive I think we would beat them.
Yeah, but if our beating them depends on Ayton being consistently aggressive, would you really bet on that? I am a big Ayton defender, but I wouldn't put my kids' college fund on that bet.

At the very least, if we find ourselves unable to beat a strong Nuggets opponent in a series, at least we'll learn what we need to work on and what changes if any we need to make. The playoff experience this year will be invaluable.

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 4678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by The Bobster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 am

So if two years ago if told one team between the Suns and Warriors would be battling for the league's best record and one would be suffering from internal sniping and be fielding a roster filled with borderline G-League-level players, who would have thought the Suns would be the better of the two teams by far?

None of us. That Golden State dynasty certainly crumbled a lot faster than anyone could have imagined. Two seasons ago - Golden State was 57-25 and playing in their 5th straight NBA Finals the Suns were 19-63, worst team in the Western Conference and missing the playoffs for their 9th straight year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I love this year's Suns team, but I think we would lose in a series to the Nuggets if both teams were close to full strength.
If everyone is healthy, and Ayton plays his normal way, probably. But if he is aggressive I think we would beat them.
Yeah, but if our beating them depends on Ayton being consistently aggressive, would you really bet on that? I am a big Ayton defender, but I wouldn't put my kids' college fund on that bet.

At the very least, if we find ourselves unable to beat a strong Nuggets opponent in a series, at least we'll learn what we need to work on and what changes if any we need to make. The playoff experience this year will be invaluable.
Yeah, I am with you. I wouldn't bet significant money on Ayton ever really getting it, much less this season, even more less in the playoffs.



But I would love to be wrong.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 am
So if two years ago if told one team between the Suns and Warriors would be battling for the league's best record and one would be suffering from internal sniping and be fielding a roster filled with borderline G-League-level players, who would have thought the Suns would be the better of the two teams by far?

None of us. That Golden State dynasty certainly crumbled a lot faster than anyone could have imagined. Two seasons ago - Golden State was 57-25 and playing in their 5th straight NBA Finals the Suns were 19-63, worst team in the Western Conference and missing the playoffs for their 9th straight year.
Who are their borderline G-league players in their rotation? And aren't they in the mix for the play in game? When does Klay come back?

User avatar
O_Gardino
Posts: 6418
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by O_Gardino » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:06 am

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I love this year's Suns team, but I think we would lose in a series to the Nuggets if both teams were close to full strength.
If everyone is healthy, and Ayton plays his normal way, probably. But if he is aggressive I think we would beat them.
Yeah, but if our beating them depends on Ayton being consistently aggressive, would you really bet on that? I am a big Ayton defender, but I wouldn't put my kids' college fund on that bet.

At the very least, if we find ourselves unable to beat a strong Nuggets opponent in a series, at least we'll learn what we need to work on and what changes if any we need to make. The playoff experience this year will be invaluable.
DA usually plays well against Denver. 22/13 on .642 shooting over his career.

I think Bridges can slow down Murray and Crowder can slow down Gordon enough for the starters to be competitive. And I still like our bench over theirs. I think the series comes down to Saric vs Porter.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12302
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Split T » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 am

Ayton also defends Jokic well. I’m worried about Denver if we face them, but the blueprint to beat them is there. Ayton needs to step up and be what he’s been against them. Then we need to keep Murray from being prime Curry against us...which we historically have failed at.
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am

If Ayton keeps his average of taking 15 shots a game against them, I like our chances.

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 4678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by The Bobster » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:26 am

Indy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 am
So if two years ago if told one team between the Suns and Warriors would be battling for the league's best record and one would be suffering from internal sniping and be fielding a roster filled with borderline G-League-level players, who would have thought the Suns would be the better of the two teams by far?

None of us. That Golden State dynasty certainly crumbled a lot faster than anyone could have imagined. Two seasons ago - Golden State was 57-25 and playing in their 5th straight NBA Finals the Suns were 19-63, worst team in the Western Conference and missing the playoffs for their 9th straight year.
Who are their borderline G-league players in their rotation? And aren't they in the mix for the play in game? When does Klay come back?
Damion Lee, Jordan Pool, Juan Toscano-Anderson, Kevon Loney, Brad Wanamaker. All rotation guys at some point this year.

Will Thompson ever be the same player again? He's on the bad side of 30 and coming off missing two full seasons with serious leg injuries. And now there's the beginning of speculation that Curry may look to greener pastures when his contract is up.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 13333
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Indy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:33 am

I don't think all of those guys are borderline G-league.

Not sure on Klay. I think his defense will suffer more than his offense. But it might be harder for him to come of multiple screens as fast as he used to. I am not worried about his shooting.

Curious where Curry wants to play out his career. He will be 35 at the start of his next contract. And he has a 15% trade kicker, so I am not sure if anyone would be willing to trade for a year or less rental of him at 52M.

User avatar
jonh
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by jonh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
I love this year's Suns team, but I think we would lose in a series to the Nuggets if both teams were close to full strength.
Sounds like you are inferring the Suns need to do something to ensure the Nuggets are not at full strength.
“I’m done with not making the playoffs. I’m serious. This is probably the last year I’m ever not making the playoffs.” Devin Booker-- April, 2017

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 12302
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Split T » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm

How would you guys rank the potential playoff opponents for the suns?

Right now from worst matchup to best:

1. Lakers(assuming fully healthy)
2. Nuggets
3. Clippers
4. Jazz
Fairly significant gap
5. Blazers
6. Mavs
7. Pelicans
8. No one else remotely worries me. Grizz, Warriors, or Spurs. Though we haven’t played the Spurs yet.

If AD isn’t healthy, I’d drop the Lakers to 4. If Lebron isn’t healthy I’d drop them to 6. If neither are healthy they drop into the group I’m not worried about at all.
Split: I would trade DA for SGA right now(11-24-2020)

Cap: I wouldn’t. Somebody remember to check this post in five years and see which of us looks the fool.

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by bajanguy008 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:33 pm

Haven't watched the Nuggets yet
I don't like being a box score analyst but yea the numbers are there it seems

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 20691
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by Superbone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm

Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season! Like it mattered. We rarely see Wormwood anyway!

Post Reply