Suns News: Week 19 4/26-5/2

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Suns News: Week 19 4/26-5/2

Post by bajanguy008 »

I laugh reading some of these comments and then wasn't sure which is mine :D

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

It's True

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:24 am

I really think Eddie does a pretty good job on the broadcasts. I think Kevin sucks, but I am just spoiled because I know what play-by-play can be. And honestly, in the age of HDTV, it seems basketball play-by-play isn't around much anymore. Even when I used to watch league pass all the time, it seemed most guys talk about other stuff and then throw in some plays. I guess it is more of "this is something that happened recently" as opposed to "this is nearly everything going on right now."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:23 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:45 pm
And no mention of the Connie Hawkins signing, which catapulted the Suns from a uninteresting expansion team into a national story.
Hawk was a mythic figure who had previously operated in the Twilight Zone of pro basketball ... ABL and startup ABA.
Yeah, very light on the early years of the franchise. Mostly due to ignorance and unwillingness to do any research. I read the book “Foul!” as a kid that told Hawkins’ life story up until finally making into the NBA and the Suns in his later, past prime, years.
I read Joe Gilmartin's "The Little Team That Could" until my copy fell apart, so I know at least everything that was in that book about the early years of the franchise. Seems to be out of print now, it's a shame.
Yes! Another excellent book that I read as well.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:24 am

I really think Eddie does a pretty good job on the broadcasts. I think Kevin sucks, but I am just spoiled because I know what play-by-play can be. And honestly, in the age of HDTV, it seems basketball play-by-play isn't around much anymore. Even when I used to watch league pass all the time, it seemed most guys talk about other stuff and then throw in some plays. I guess it is more of "this is something that happened recently" as opposed to "this is nearly everything going on right now."
Yeah, I really enjoy listening to Eddie. Great sense of humor and he really enjoys the team. He might be a little repetitive about what he talks about but I don't care. Like I said, I always enjoy his commentary.

KRay is average, middle of the road. Nothing really stands out about his pxp*. It's functional and that's about it. It's not bad. He covers what he needs to cover but that's it. His chemistry with EJ is getting better with time. EJ doesn't rip on him as much lately about his tight shirts these days. I do think of KRay as the "Nugenix guy."

And to your point about the current state of pxp in general, yeah TV is a different beast than radio. Al was so great because he had to describe everything that happened and kick your imagination up a notch so that it felt like you could "see" what was happening on the court. With TV, you can already see what's happening so current pxp isn't so much about that anymore but more about peripheral things about the game and the players. The best TV pxp guys add a lot of excitement to the mix. Marv Albert's got his "YES!" Mike Breen has his "Bang!" Eric Collins of the Charlotte Hornets is one of the most exciting of the new breed but he kind of sounds like he's announcing a WWF match:

Anyway, happy birthday to Eddie Johnson yesterday. Annie's doing the color commentary today so that Eddie can enjoy his birthday weekend.

*pxp is shorthand for play-by-play for us in the biz.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

A glance at Ayton's numbers would suggest a disappointing third season, and if the barometer is Luka Doncic, Ayton will always be something of a disappointment. Ayton's scoring is down, and he still doesn't get to the line as much as a behemoth should.

But if you watch, you know he's better -- polished, under control, and a little mean when he needs to be. Ayton remains one of the league's critical swing players -- the only traditional big in the Phoenix Suns' rotation, and the wild card who can propel them toward the championship now and later.
Lowe is usually better than this. Most knowledgeable fans gave up chasing Doncic a long time ago. The barometer is greatness. The barometer is wanting the "generational talent" to be MTARP (More Than a Role Player).

Certainly, there are aspects of Ayton's game that are better, but there are also aspects of his game that have regressed. Add it all together, and you have a player that isn't where he should be.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ayton usually seems to play better in big moments. I think he’ll surprise some people in the playoffs.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

What will folks say are areas DA regressing in ?

pickle

Post by pickle »

I was thinking about that. He had a really confident free throw line jumper those first two years that he no longer takes or makes...

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

pickle wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:41 pm
I was thinking about that. He had a really confident free throw line jumper those first two years that he no longer takes or makes...
That's actually been for the better. And he's busted it our recently and it looks much improved.

His hands are much worse this year. He didn't have this much of an issue catching passes his first 2 years in the league. Give him Mikal's hands and he'd be All-NBA.

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:49 pm
What will folks say are areas DA regressing in ?
Did he have as many games where he just didn’t do anything?

Part of that is the offense we run now. He’s less involved, but someone posted a stat that says he had 0 paint points, 0 offensive rebounds, and 0 box outs tonight. I didn’t watch tonight, but what the heck was he even doing out there?

He is an elite offensive rebounder. At the very least he needs to perform there. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he had this type of game against OKC. I have some hope that in the playoffs he’ll stay engaged on the glass, even when he’s not getting involved in the offense.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Ayton usually seems to play better in big moments. I think he’ll surprise some people in the playoffs.
;)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:55 pm
A glance at Ayton's numbers would suggest a disappointing third season, and if the barometer is Luka Doncic, Ayton will always be something of a disappointment. Ayton's scoring is down, and he still doesn't get to the line as much as a behemoth should.

But if you watch, you know he's better -- polished, under control, and a little mean when he needs to be. Ayton remains one of the league's critical swing players -- the only traditional big in the Phoenix Suns' rotation, and the wild card who can propel them toward the championship now and later.
Lowe is usually better than this. Most knowledgeable fans gave up chasing Doncic a long time ago. The barometer is greatness. The barometer is wanting the "generational talent" to be MTARP (More Than a Role Player).

Certainly, there are aspects of Ayton's game that are better, but there are also aspects of his game that have regressed. Add it all together, and you have a player that isn't where he should be.
Wondering what you're thinking now that Ayton's shown that he gets up for the playoffs. I still wonder if we'll see slow-bro Ayton at times in the regular season going forward. But I don't really care if we can get this Ayton in the playoffs.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
And no mention of the Connie Hawkins signing, which catapulted the Suns from a uninteresting expansion team into a national story.
Hawk was a mythic figure who had previously operated in the Twilight Zone of pro basketball ... ABL and startup ABA.
Yeah, very light on the early years of the franchise. Mostly due to ignorance and unwillingness to do any research. I read the book “Foul!” as a kid that told Hawkins’ life story up until finally making into the NBA and the Suns in his later, past prime, years.
There was lots of pre-drug scandal history that they overlooked -

- the Suns vs. the Lakers in the 1970 playoffs
- the trip to the 1979 Western Conference Finals against Seattle
- star players like Paul Silas, Gail Goodrich, Charlie Scott, Walter Davis, Dick Van Arsdale, Connie Hawkins, Alvan Adams, Dennis Johnson, Larry Nance, etc. who rarely get mention nowadays.
- Jerry Colangelo's two stints as interim coach & Cotton Fitzsimmons' first tenure.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:48 am
Superbone wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:

- star players like Paul Silas, Gail Goodrich, Charlie Scott, Walter Davis, Dick Van Arsdale, Connie Hawkins, Alvan Adams, Dennis Johnson, Larry Nance, etc. who rarely get mention nowadays.
- Jerry Colangelo's two stints as interim coach & Cotton Fitzsimmons' first tenure.
Nance was my favorite player back in the day. And the Suns traded him. But the trade brought us Kevin Johnson, Mark West and a draft pick that turned out to be Dan Majerle. These 3 players were the building blocks for the 92-93 team, so not a bad trade.

If you are interested in reading about early Suns history the book “ The Little Team That Could... And Darn Near Did! The Famous Rise of the Phoenix Suns” by Joe Gilmartin is a good read. I read it a long time ago(mid ‘80s).

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I would also recommend the the Suns' silver anniversary book that they put out in 1992.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:54 am
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:48 am
Superbone wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:

Nance was my favorite player back in the day. And the Suns traded him. But the trade brought us Kevin Johnson, Mark West and a draft pick that turned out to be Dan Majerle. These 3 players were the building blocks for the 92-93 team, so not a bad trade.

If you are interested in reading about early Suns history the book “ The Little Team That Could... And Darn Near Did! The Famous Rise of the Phoenix Suns” by Joe Gilmartin is a good read. I read it a long time ago(mid ‘80s).
Don't forget Tyrone Corbin too. He was a good player for us but yeah, I believe he was gone before the title run.
"Be Legendary."