Game Day: Suns (48-20) @ Warriors (36-33), Tues 5/11/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Suns (48-20) @ Warriors (36-33), Tues 5/11/21

Post by Mori Chu »

It's hard for us to win when none of our supporting cast really show up. In these high-intensity games it seems like we can only count on Booker, CP3, Crowder, and other veterans. Our younger guys like Bridges, Cam, and Ayton don't consistently show up in these intense games. A lot of folks bag on Ayton in these situations, but Bridges really laid an egg tonight, too. 6 points and 0-3 on 3-point shooting with 2 rebounds. In 38 minutes. Oof. I love me some Bridges but that's an atrocious game.

We aren't going to go far in the playoffs if we don't see some of these guys start to step up more consistently.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 pm
It's hard for us to win when none of our supporting cast really show up. In these high-intensity games it seems like we can only count on Booker, CP3, Crowder, and other veterans. Our younger guys like Bridges, Cam, and Ayton don't consistently show up in these intense games. A lot of folks bag on Ayton in these situations, but Bridges really laid an egg tonight, too. 6 points and 0-3 on 3-point shooting with 2 rebounds. In 38 minutes. Oof. I love me some Bridges but that's an atrocious game.

We aren't going to go far in the playoffs if we don't see some of these guys start to step up more consistently.
I agree with that especially Bridges, I actually think he is over rated. It is hard to evaluate him due to how weak we are at the 4/5 on offense. We rely solely on kicking it our to three point shooters. Ayton is just frigging awful. When is the last time he put the ball down and took it strong to the hole in traffic? Who is our PF? I think that is what Bridges is trying to be but he usually guards the best wing or point guard of the other team on the defensive end. Bridges almost never take it to the hoop strong in traffic.

This is why I cannot give James Jones and A for his off season work. We have needed a legit PF since Amare left town. I would rather Ayton just leave town if we cannot find a legit PF to play alongside him. I doubt that Ayton is ever going to be aggressive enough for my taste.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bridges is a SF, not a PF. Crowder and Craig are our PFs. With Kaminsky and Saric part time PF but mostly backup C.
"Be Legendary."

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Such a weird team to follow. Great games against great teams. Shit the bed against other teams far too often. Way to give a potential first round opponents hope this week suns. It’s weird when you fear the first round opponent more than anyone else because it’s a question of whether the suns think they’re beneath them. So far this season Monty hasnt showed any ability to correct this. Booo. I can imagine if we lose in the first round we will be told don’t worry, we are just saving ourselves for the finals. There is such a thing as momentum going into the playoffs. Was the lesson from the knicks and cave games that we can just turn it on when we please and that’s enough. Perhaps we now get something about how we are holding our card close to our chest for the playoffs? Perhaps I’m just grumpy because there is a huge storm here so I’ll be stuck indoors and could have used a ball game to watch. Yet there’s something annoyingly predicable about our recent stumbles.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Turned it off in the middle of the 3rd but felt like we'd lose even in the 1st half when we were hitting those 3s and still only led by 10-12pts. We weren't stopping them, were getting outrebounded and they weren't getting frustrated by our shooting. They just kept coming at us.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Really ending the season with a whimper. Would any 6-8 seed be afraid to play us right now? Teams have shown they can beat us in several ways. The Lakers bullied us with their size and strength. The Warriors outshot us and outscored us with a mostly small lineup. We look pretty vulnerable right now for a 2 seed.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

“We’ve never been a team that’s been outworked and I saw a little bit of that tonight..."

"No-shit" headline of the day. And it was more than a little bit ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's ok, we're just playing rope-a-dope.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

General question for everyone
What's viewed as a good game for Mikal or What do folks expect from Mikal on a nightly basis

and I'm genuinely asking because no secret I'm pro Mikal so I want to hear what others look for
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:12 am
What's viewed as a good game for Mikal or What do folks expect from Mikal on a nightly basis

and I'm genuinely asking because no secret I'm pro Mikal so I want to hear what others look for
I think you'd agree that last night was a very substandard game for him.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

bajanguy008 wrote:

37% FG, 0 for 3 from 3, no FTs, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 6 points with the 2nd most minutes at 38 isn't getting it done as a starting SF in the NBA.

Nightly, I'd expect 12-15 points, 4 or 5 rebounds, 2 or 3 assists, 2 or 3 steals for a guy with his length and defensive skills and maybe a block.

Last night was clearly a poor game, just after he seemed to have a nice 4 game stretch dating back to Cleveland. He's gotten more consistent as of late but last night was bad.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

We shot 50/40/90 as a team last night, the Warriors shot under 50 and and under 30 on 3s and we still let them win.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Suns have to get Ayton involved and get him the ball at the right spots. I have to also get Dan Bickley some credit on his recent article. He said the Suns don't have enough size for a strong postseason run. As much as I hate to admit it, he's right.

Suns also used to cut to the basket more. It seems like now everything is a 3-pt shot. They need to cut more to the hoop.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 am
Bridges is a SF, not a PF. Crowder and Craig are our PFs. With Kaminsky and Saric part time PF but mostly backup C.
That group of PF's has to be the weakest in the league. Crowder acts like a SF, can he even dribble. All he does is shoot 3 pointers. Craig tries but is not big enough or good enough. Great back up but not starter material. Saric seems like the candidate but something appears to be seriously wrong with him. We need to find a legit PF this off season.

However I still am not going to let Bridges off the hook. He can take it to the hoop rather than just shoot 3's. He does it on occasion but not enough. He is big enough and quick enough to cause havoc if he will just do it.

We have a non aggressive center, Crowder and Bridges as spot up 3 point shooters, Saric and Kaminsky not capable but try. That is my point. Maybe that is by design. If so I do not like it.

We need someone, anyone not named Chris Paul, Devin Booker and Cam Payne to attempt to take it to the hole strong like other teams do to us. If you watched that Laker - Knick game it was nasty real nasty. However both teams had players to get dirty. Hell even the Warriors killed us in the paint via aggressive play by a bunch of SF's.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm
Suns have to get Ayton involved and get him the ball at the right spots. I have to also get Dan Bickley some credit on his recent article. He said the Suns don't have enough size for a strong postseason run. As much as I hate to admit it, he's right.

Suns also used to cut to the basket more. It seems like now everything is a 3-pt shot. They need to cut more to the hoop.

I agree with all of that.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

8 and Ayton. Will be pretty easy with this kind of disappearing act to decide what to offer him for an extension. We’d get as much production from Torrey Craig at center and he’s a minimum guy. (Not advocating this is what should be done but just making the point).

They do indeed need to get him the ball more but he does indeed need to demand it. I’m sure teammates are so used to his passiveness by now they they are in the habit of not even looking for him.

Mark Bryant’s next huge task is to make him get aggressive in getting good position
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 am
That group of PF's has to be the weakest in the league. Crowder acts like a SF, can he even dribble. All he does is shoot 3 pointers. Craig tries but is not big enough or good enough. Great back up but not starter material. Saric seems like the candidate but something appears to be seriously wrong with him. We need to find a legit PF this off season.

However I still am not going to let Bridges off the hook. He can take it to the hoop rather than just shoot 3's. He does it on occasion but not enough. He is big enough and quick enough to cause havoc if he will just do it.

We have a non aggressive center, Crowder and Bridges as spot up 3 point shooters, Saric and Kaminsky not capable but try. That is my point. Maybe that is by design. If so I do not like it.

We need someone, anyone not named Chris Paul, Devin Booker and Cam Payne to attempt to take it to the hole strong like other teams do to us. If you watched that Laker - Knick game it was nasty real nasty. However both teams had players to get dirty. Hell even the Warriors killed us in the paint via aggressive play by a bunch of SF's.
Um, pretty sure we have been saying that all season long.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not worried.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:28 am
bajanguy008 wrote:

I think you'd agree that last night was a very substandard game for him.
Yes it wasn't anything to write home about
I'm still trying to figure out the barometer. Sorry I'm gonna try linking you and AIG together as he posted stats
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)