Around the league: June 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Around the league: June 2014

Post by Sunsfan4life »

LOL...He isn't even a good coach. That team underachieved in a terrible conference.

What an asshat
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sounds like he wanted something similar to Rivers and SVG. Interested to see where this will lead.

I think he sees the writing on the wall and is jumping ship to greener pastures.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

A gift from heaven for New Jersey. They can get rid of a awful coach after one season, while saving face.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What is Milwaukee thinking? What the hell does being a good passer have to do with having the aptitude to run a team?

SDC

Post by SDC »

good for milwaukee. i hear kareem wants to coach in milwaukee too.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:I hate linking to the post but I don't think anyone else has it yet. I don't know who the fuck Kidd thinks he is. Half of his first season was a dumpster fire.
Not that Kidd isn't coming off like an arrogant and spoiled diva, but truth be told, I'd put a drunk monkey in charge of basketball operations before Billy King.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Wade has opted out.

https://twitter.com/SBNationNBA/status/482968861122105344

Wade and Bosh are leaving 40M+ on the table each. This is huge for the Heat, as now they'll be able to build a real roster around LeBron assuming those two don't get anywhere close to 15-20M per, especially if LeBron also takes a little less. I don't think LeBron is going anywhere.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the opt outs make it all but guaranteed that Lebron will return to Miami. They wouldn't opt out if they didn't know he was very likely to stay there.

TOO

Post by TOO »

LBJ get his max, the other 2 take a decent paycut and they add some depth. I'm not sure their rumored pursuit of Kyle Lowry fixes their problems, a guy like Gordon Hayward who wont get much more than Lowry would be a massive boost, just dunno if they could swing it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I think Gortat makes a ton of sense for them. On a title contender, surrounded by better players, motivated, running pick and rolls with LeBron, making an inside-outside pair with Bosh. In his absolute prime. Unrestricted. Probably around 10M per.

He'd be my #1 target if I were the Heat. Probably wouldn't even consider Lowry.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cant see the Wiz letting Hammer go after the run they had this year, but he'd definitely be a big boost there. So would Pau Gasol for that matter. Ugh, I hate Miami.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Pau would be great offensively but I'd go with Gortat. He is nowhere as talented as Pau, but if fully motivated we saw how good he was defensively, and the Heat would probably benefit more from adding a two way player.

I also think the Wizards do all they can to keep him, but if Miami sells Gortat on the idea of titles and an equally prominent role, I could see him leaving some money on the table, especially considering the advantage Florida has taxes wise.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Perhaps kid's actions are a smart move on his behalf. I mean can anyone see them getting past the 2nd round anyway? Kids name would always then be associated with this fiasco. But if we went to a team like the bucks the expectations are low so he can continue to build his coaching career. At the same time blame Brooklyn for the troubles he would leave behind. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it was a calculated move which was designed to hit a nerve in Brooklyn

carey

Post by carey »

This is hilarious. The Jason Kidd story was broke by a fan on Thursday on RealGM, but everyone was all "Sure buddy...."

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtop ... &t=1330298
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kidd's always been an opportunist. He's gotten coaches fired when he didn't like them, he's dogged it and forced his way off of teams. He's almost always one step ahead, and jumped ship from NY to take the coaching job with BK when it was available. But he knows last year was the high water mark (as it was in NY the year before) and won't put him in a position to be fired when the team starts slow and underachieves. So he tried to secure himself by trying to become president which didn't work. Now he'll run BOps for the Bucks, make as much money doing less and if they turn it around in a year, maybe he'll take over the reins and coach the team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kidd was just mad at how much more money Kerr and Fisher got than him. That's all there is to it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:Kidd was just mad at how much more money Kerr and Fisher got than him. That's all there is to it.
I'm betting he threw more than a few fries when he heard what Kerr and Fisher were making.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I honestly don't think that played much of a part in anything. Kidds made 3 times what Fisher made as a player, who knows how much more than Kerr. This was about Kidd angling to take over in Milwaukee, probably knowing he was on thin ice with BK and they wouldn't give him that kind of power.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:I honestly don't think that played much of a part in anything. Kidds made 3 times what Fisher made as a player, who knows how much more than Kerr. This was about Kidd angling to take over in Milwaukee, probably knowing he was on thin ice with BK and they wouldn't give him that kind of power.
That goes against every report including the guy that broke it on Thursday's.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't doubt Kidd would've stayed in BK had they met his demands. But he probably had Milwaukee in his back pocket. You think he was turned down by BK, then just got on the phone with the new owner in Milwaukee (who he's close with and was once his financial advisor) and took at shot in the dark at asking to be President of BOps?