Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (1-1), Thurs 5/27/21

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:56 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:08 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:05 am
I have a hard time believing much has changed in under 48 hours.
This. And the Lakers are too smart to fall for us using him as a "decoy."
Then why did they double-team him late in the game?
?? He didn't play in the last half of the 4th. And only a couple minutes at all in the 4th.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:03 am
JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:56 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:08 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:05 am
I have a hard time believing much has changed in under 48 hours.
This. And the Lakers are too smart to fall for us using him as a "decoy."
Then why did they double-team him late in the game?
?? He didn't play in the last half of the 4th. And only a couple minutes at all in the 4th.
By “late in the game,” I meant after they saw he was not healthy. There was a play either in the 3rd or 4th quarter where they double-teamed him and we got a wide open three. And they never once dared him to shoot a three-pointer or any long jumpers. I didn’t see them playing him any differently or being any smarter than they were in game 1, with how they played against him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think I remember when Marbury got that stinger against the Spurs in the playoffs so long ago. For some reason, I feel like he was good to go relatively quickly? I know everyone's different and injuries are never identical, but it gives me optimism.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:59 am
I think I remember when Marbury got that stinger against the Spurs in the playoffs so long ago. For some reason, I feel like he was good to go relatively quickly? I know everyone's different and injuries are never identical, but it gives me optimism.
He wasn't 36 when it happened, though. Might be the difference. I wish we would have sat him for Game 2.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here's the play where the Lakers doubled Chris Paul in the 4th quarter and it led to a 4-point play: https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameE ... 207%20AST)

Paul came in at 9:39 and we went on a 9-5 run to tie the game at 86. He left with 7:01 left in the 4th and we lost by 7. We were better with him on the floor. I was fully expecting Monty to put him back in after the timeout at 3:40 with it 93-92, and was upset when he didn't. Crunch time is when CP3 leads you to victory with his veteran leadership. Even Paul at 30% is better to close out the game than Cam Payne. I truly believe we would have had a shot at a 2-0 series lead if CP3 was in there the last few minutes, willing the team to victory, perhaps willing shots into the hoop even.

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yes interesting take Jeremy, can't fault you for that. I honestly wasn't thinking of him coming back when watching Live but after the fact I did wonder which scenario would have been best.

That's where I'm in disagreement with some. I expect the clowns on TV to go with the Lakers stepped up, Lakers size was too much headline. I keep saying it just wasn't that simple, we took their best shots at the start of each half and they couldn't shake us.

When we made the same run Jeremy mentioned Drummond got the quick hook for Gasol (who hit a big 3 btw) and then they obviously closed with the AD at 5 lineup. So that size factor had already ran its course, we didn't have anyone in foul trouble for that last 5mins and it was just a who could execute and issues we had on n off this year showed back up.

So I know folks talking about the roster makeup as the lost for game 2 but I don't feel that way. Book surprised me when he came back in because I thought he was going to close the game aggressively but seemed to go back to trying to feel out the Lakers D when I thought he got into rhythm in the 3rd.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

FWIW

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Tonight will be tough
I can only hope CP3 is doing better but never thought he would be held out, coaches n players put alot of stock in that "swing game theory" as it relates to win % linked to Game 3.

Another thing spoken about for years is one of EJ's fav comments when talking about effectiveness of role players at Home vs on the Road. These games he always says it's Book n CP3 to get us going n probably shoulder more of the load. So we'll see how the Bench Unit along with Mikal n Jae do tonight

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:34 pm
FWIW

Shel.....
Just how upset are you trying to make Saucey lol

Indy

Post by Indy »

lol Bajan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Where is that dislike button @Mori?
Split T wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

How many playoff games has Scott Foster officiated when Cliff Paul has played?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wonder if having fewer fans in the Staples Center will have an affect on shooting. It would be nice if Crowder actually hit his averages, but KCP has also been pretty bad so far.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:07 pm
I wonder if having fewer fans in the Staples Center will have an affect on shooting. It would be nice if Crowder actually hit his averages, but KCP has also been pretty bad so far.
1-13 is not what we need from our starting PF that shot 39% this year from 3.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:31 pm
Yes interesting take Jeremy, can't fault you for that. I honestly wasn't thinking of him coming back when watching Live but after the fact I did wonder which scenario would have been best.

That's where I'm in disagreement with some. I expect the clowns on TV to go with the Lakers stepped up, Lakers size was too much headline. I keep saying it just wasn't that simple, we took their best shots at the start of each half and they couldn't shake us.

When we made the same run Jeremy mentioned Drummond got the quick hook for Gasol (who hit a big 3 btw) and then they obviously closed with the AD at 5 lineup. So that size factor had already ran its course, we didn't have anyone in foul trouble for that last 5mins and it was just a who could execute and issues we had on n off this year showed back up.

So I know folks talking about the roster makeup as the lost for game 2 but I don't feel that way. Book surprised me when he came back in because I thought he was going to close the game aggressively but seemed to go back to trying to feel out the Lakers D when I thought he got into rhythm in the 3rd.
By the way, I would not play Paul tonight. But if you played him in the 4th quarter, why not play him the last few minutes when you need his leadership the most? I think Monty made a big mistake on Tuesday night by not playing him at the end, and I think he is making a big mistake tonight by playing him instead of letting him rest for at least 5 days. I would not play him again until we lose another game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:42 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:31 pm

By the way, I would not play Paul tonight. But if you played him in the 4th quarter, why not play him the last few minutes when you need his leadership the most? I think Monty made a big mistake on Tuesday night by not playing him at the end, and I think he is making a big mistake tonight by playing him instead of letting him rest for at least 5 days. I would not play him again until we lose another game.
To me it depends on the medical staff. If they say he is 65% and playing won't make it worse (and resting won't help it heal) then play him.