Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Second Round (Non Suns) Playoff Games

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:32 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:55 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:24 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:16 pm
I view Barkley as being entertaining and funny and good for takes on certain topics, but not on many others. He's nice to have around, but I don't want to hear his view on who he thinks will win a game or series. He's wrong so often that it's become a joke even on the show itself. And he clearly doesn't put the work in to keep up to date on players, teams, and other things he should be learning.
If he can't look at a team and figure out which one is better, and doesn't know which players play where, what good takes does he have (and on which topics)?

I mean, I guess he is about as useful as a common fan. Doesn't watch a lot of basketball, and only never studies basketball. But likes to talk. But he does let you laugh at him, so there is that. I think he is just kept around for comic relief.
Even if he doesn't know everything about the teams or players, he knows a ton about the game of basketball itself and how the game should be played, from his HOF playing career.
hard disagree there. He knows what it is like to be the greatest player on a really good team, and knows about out-competing your opponent in-game. He doesn't know about leadership, or dedication to training/preparing in the gym/practice court, or even basketball theory. If you asked him to tell you the key plays each of the remaining 4 teams play, he wouldn't have a clue. Sure he would say they play pick-n-roll on offense, or talk about the switching defenses (and maybe even drop coverage). But he couldn't tell you the types of switching coverage, or the types of pnr. His idea of great basketball is letting the best player on the court dominate the game. He doesn't know or understand team basketball.
Of the whole Inside crew, maybe only Kenny could tell you that.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:36 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:16 pm
I view Barkley as being entertaining and funny and good for takes on certain topics, but not on many others. He's nice to have around, but I don't want to hear his view on who he thinks will win a game or series. He's wrong so often that it's become a joke even on the show itself. And he clearly doesn't put the work in to keep up to date on players, teams, and other things he should be learning.
If he can't look at a team and figure out which one is better, and doesn't know which players play where, what good takes does he have (and on which topics)?

I mean, I guess he is about as useful as a common fan. Doesn't watch a lot of basketball, and only never studies basketball. But likes to talk. But he does let you laugh at him, so there is that. I think he is just kept around for comic relief.
Even if he doesn't know everything about the teams or players, he knows a ton about the game of basketball itself and how the game should be played, from his HOF playing career.
hard disagree there. He knows what it is like to be the greatest player on a really good team, and knows about out-competing your opponent in-game. He doesn't know about leadership, or dedication to training/preparing in the gym/practice court, or even basketball theory. If you asked him to tell you the key plays each of the remaining 4 teams play, he wouldn't have a clue. Sure he would say they play pick-n-roll on offense, or talk about the switching defenses (and maybe even drop coverage). But he couldn't tell you the types of switching coverage, or the types of pnr. His idea of great basketball is letting the best player on the court dominate the game. He doesn't know or understand team basketball.
I would put money on Ernie over Kenny.

And yeah, that is one reason why I don't bother to watch them talk unless they are covering a Suns game because I want to hear what they are telling the rest of the viewers that other folks will have to correct.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:36 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

I would put money on Ernie over Kenny.

And yeah, that is one reason why I don't bother to watch them talk unless they are covering a Suns game because I want to hear what they are telling the rest of the viewers that other folks will have to correct.
Always dvr the games so I can blow past the commercials and needless commentary. Since this is the playoffs I have been listening to the pre post commentary for the same reason. I want to hear what the rest of the country is saying about the team.