Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Draft

Post by ShelC »

Good article and breakdown of what Jones likes in players. Kispert would be a no brainer and supposedly had a rough workout with Indy but doubt he's there at 29. Ayo, Murphy would probably be gone too?. We can presumably fill a lot of backup spots in FA so going with a SG/SF wouldn't be terrible. I think if we do go with a wing, they should be a shot creator and not just a shooter.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's basically impossible to get a rookie contributor out of the 29th pick. So while James Jones has a type, all of his previous picks have been in the lottery where it's much easier to find "his guys".
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I keep seeing Ayo drop to the 2nd in a lot of mocks. Think there’s a decent chance we pick him if he’s available at 29. He seems like a JJ type guy, but I also am not really sure I know what a JJ type guy is. I thought Haliburton was about as close to a JJ type of guy there was, but he passed on him.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’d love if Jalen Johnson slid, but I don’t see him making it to 29.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:29 pm
I’d love if Jalen Johnson slid, but I don’t see him making it to 29.
And he's literally a JJ guy.
"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Let's ask the fundamental question...any chance of trading up to ANY reasonable pick? Say 18 or below?

VT

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Not sure how much stock I put in it, but moving up to 16 would be helpful...

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2021/07/26/ ... a-draft/2/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good list here, a lot of guards.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I haven’t looked at any bigs, and I barely looked at the guards, but here’s my thoughts on our pick…

Jared Butler is the guy I want the most, but I don’t think he’ll be there. He’s the most complete guard of the ones that could potentially be available. He can shoot off the dribble and off the catch, he can run some offense, he can defend. He’s a little small, so I’m not sure he’s a switchable defender, but he’s not a big liability.

I don’t even know who I like the most of the other guys, maybe typing this out will help me decide. The skills I’m looking for are shooting, specifically pull-up shooting, playmaking potential, and defense. Don’t think any of the guards besides Butler provide all 3.

Tre Mann has the pull up shooting. He’s got a good handle and can get to his shots…he’s probably the best pull-up shooter in the draft. I believe he’s a sophomore, but a young sophomore. He grew this last year and could potentially still be growing. He’s ok as a playmaker. Capable of simple reads, but he’s not a pg at the moment. Not a great finisher, good floater, but struggles getting to the rim. Defense is a question mark.

Bones Hyland is probably the next best pull-up shooter…deep, deep range as he pulls from anywhere. He’s quicker than Mann and a better finisher. Didn’t watch a lot, but I didn’t see much playmaking and he’s quite small..165 lbs. I got a lot of Lou Williams vibes.

Miles McBride is a West Virginia pg and gets some Jevon Carter comparisons. Defensive menace, but a little small at 6’2, and not really a pg. 6’8 wingspan though. Carter with a little more shooting as he can make pull-up 3s, though not at the level of the previous 2.

Jaden Springer is a bigger guard…maybe more scorer than playmaker at the moment, but he’s got the potential to play the point. Calling card is defense, he’s great there and he’s pretty good getting to the rim. He’s strong attacking the rim, although not an explosive athlete. Shot a good percentage from 3, but on very limited attempts. He’s not a pull-up shooter at the moment. Maybe some Malcolm Brogdon potential if the shot comes around.

Josh Primo is a little bigger, can shoot a little, and has more defensive chops than Mann and Hyland. Honestly I didn’t watch this guy much and wasn’t that impressed with what I saw. He’s young though and there’s talk he would be a lot higher next year after another year of seasoning.

Ayo Dosunmo is a bigger guard, he attacks the rim well and Can defend multiple positions. Just ok as a shooter. Not a pg, but can make some plays. He’s a 3 year guy. I feel he’s a plug and play type guy, but maybe not a high ceiling. Think he could step into the role Nader played for us as a bigger guard that can attack the rim and play some defense.

Jason Preston is the most skilled of these guys. He’s a fantastic shooter and passer. Top 3 passer in this draft. He’s a lot of fun and would be a lottery pick if he had just average athleticism. I have no idea if he’s going to cut it as an athlete in the nba, but he’s intriguing.

I probably forgot someone, but after all that, I think I’m leaning Tre Mann after Jared Butler. His pull up shooting is just fantastic and I think would add another dimension to our offense. I think he’s shown enough playmaking that I’d be hopeful he could develop into a guy that can run a little offense. Probably never a primary creator, but there’s also a little hope he gets a bit bigger and can defend the 2.

So Jared Butler, Tre Mann…then I’ll go Jaden Springer and Bones Hyland.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

And we're off n running

Everyone's favourite FA aka "Cash Considerations" always in the mix smh lol

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:23 am
I haven’t looked at any bigs, and I barely looked at the guards, but here’s my thoughts on our pick…

Jared Butler is the guy I want the most, but I don’t think he’ll be there. He’s the most complete guard of the ones that could potentially be available. He can shoot off the dribble and off the catch, he can run some offense, he can defend. He’s a little small, so I’m not sure he’s a switchable defender, but he’s not a big liability.

I don’t even know who I like the most of the other guys, maybe typing this out will help me decide. The skills I’m looking for are shooting, specifically pull-up shooting, playmaking potential, and defense. Don’t think any of the guards besides Butler provide all 3.

Tre Mann has the pull up shooting. He’s got a good handle and can get to his shots…he’s probably the best pull-up shooter in the draft. I believe he’s a sophomore, but a young sophomore. He grew this last year and could potentially still be growing. He’s ok as a playmaker. Capable of simple reads, but he’s not a pg at the moment. Not a great finisher, good floater, but struggles getting to the rim. Defense is a question mark.

Bones Hyland is probably the next best pull-up shooter…deep, deep range as he pulls from anywhere. He’s quicker than Mann and a better finisher. Didn’t watch a lot, but I didn’t see much playmaking and he’s quite small..165 lbs. I got a lot of Lou Williams vibes.

Miles McBride is a West Virginia pg and gets some Jevon Carter comparisons. Defensive menace, but a little small at 6’2, and not really a pg. 6’8 wingspan though. Carter with a little more shooting as he can make pull-up 3s, though not at the level of the previous 2.

Jaden Springer is a bigger guard…maybe more scorer than playmaker at the moment, but he’s got the potential to play the point. Calling card is defense, he’s great there and he’s pretty good getting to the rim. He’s strong attacking the rim, although not an explosive athlete. Shot a good percentage from 3, but on very limited attempts. He’s not a pull-up shooter at the moment. Maybe some Malcolm Brogdon potential if the shot comes around.

Josh Primo is a little bigger, can shoot a little, and has more defensive chops than Mann and Hyland. Honestly I didn’t watch this guy much and wasn’t that impressed with what I saw. He’s young though and there’s talk he would be a lot higher next year after another year of seasoning.

Ayo Dosunmo is a bigger guard, he attacks the rim well and Can defend multiple positions. Just ok as a shooter. Not a pg, but can make some plays. He’s a 3 year guy. I feel he’s a plug and play type guy, but maybe not a high ceiling. Think he could step into the role Nader played for us as a bigger guard that can attack the rim and play some defense.

Jason Preston is the most skilled of these guys. He’s a fantastic shooter and passer. Top 3 passer in this draft. He’s a lot of fun and would be a lottery pick if he had just average athleticism. I have no idea if he’s going to cut it as an athlete in the nba, but he’s intriguing.

I probably forgot someone, but after all that, I think I’m leaning Tre Mann after Jared Butler. His pull up shooting is just fantastic and I think would add another dimension to our offense. I think he’s shown enough playmaking that I’d be hopeful he could develop into a guy that can run a little offense. Probably never a primary creator, but there’s also a little hope he gets a bit bigger and can defend the 2.

So Jared Butler, Tre Mann…then I’ll go Jaden Springer and Bones Hyland.
Sharife Cooper. Insane passer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya..feels like he won’t make it to 29…and he’s a bad shooter. I think I’d pass on Cooper.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I am a wait n see how the player looks in actual games
Don't watch enough college ball to have a strong opinion on anyone so I don't get too stressed about the draft.

I know this might very well be the case again on here later
Smh 😊
Try not to go too mental friends 8-)

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s definitely how I am this year. Hardly watched anything except parts of the tourney. Watched some scouting videos this week and read the scouting reports. I’m half expecting to trade the pick anyways.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:49 am
Here are some facts:

We need big man help immediately
Big men take longer to develop
We drafted a big last year and may need to get him some development minutes
Our window to compete is now
Typical expected performance for a 29th pick in their rookie year is low to nil, especially on a contending team

All of this leads me to believe that we won’t look to “solve” the big man need with this pick. In fact, I don’t know that we can solve any immediate need with this pick so all options should be on the table: trade, BPA, etc.
PREACH !!
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I know how Twitter gets "in the lead up and during" the Draft but seriously ?!?

Man this is a little too much

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Can we trade 29 for Clarke and try to fix him?

If not, Primo or Tre Mann plz.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This is my best case scenario. Johnson is not a shooter, but he's Diaw-esque with more aggressiveness on O and very promising on D.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Jalen Johnson would be great, just dont think he'll be there