Ayton haters' apology thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Ayton haters' apology thread

Post by Mori Chu »

Those of you who have shat on Ayton all season, all of the past several seasons, who have repeatedly said things like he's a bum, he's not worth a big contract extension, he'll choke in the playoffs, etc., this thread is for you.

You were wrong. You are wrong. Your ass is showing.

Ayton is having a monstrous postseason. He's scoring, rebounding, his shooting percentages are otherworldly (over 70%!!). He just made arguably the greatest play in Suns history, and we're possibly going to the NBA Finals because of it.

Let it all out. Admit you were wrong about my guy DOMINAYTON. Post your apologies below. Come into the light and enjoy this magical run with us.

Cap

Re: Ayton haters' apology thread

Post by Cap »

Why Ayton was the right No. 1 pick: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/316 ... oenix-suns

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

My dinner tonight.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Ayton has emerged as the real STAT ... standing tall and talented.

(... and I was a big Amare fan ...)
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Couldn’t be happier to be wrong…my signature is a constant reminder, haha. Never would have expected this DA after how he played most of the season.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

I'm sorry.

Im sorry. Im sorry. Im SORRY.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Stupid thread.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I was really afraid that Ayton would make me look like an idiot for urging patience. There were times where I almost gave up on him. Glad that I never quite did.

Let's be clear. I think he'll have stretches where he coasts through the regular season, playing down to the level of the competition and such. Let's just remember to have patience even during these times.

Having watched him develop, I think that the right comparison is a mix of Shawn Marion and Patrick Ewing. He doesn't have the offensive versatility of David Robinson or the go-to-move of Hakeem quite yet. But I can see him developing this over the next couple of years. Or maybe not. But a Marion-Ewing hybrid has been something to behold.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am
Stupid thread.
Why? It's fun, sort of funny and kind of a nice "hey haters. What say you now?".

Ayton easily gets the most hate on these boards, prior to this postseason. I get it, he coasts at times. But if this is what we can almost always expect come postseason, this true DominAyton, give him that max.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:58 am
I was really afraid that Ayton would make me look like an idiot for urging patience. There were times where I almost gave up on him. Glad that I never quite did.

Let's be clear. I think he'll have stretches where he coasts through the regular season, playing down to the level of the competition and such. Let's just remember to have patience even during these times.

Having watched him develop, I think that the right comparison is a mix of Shawn Marion and Patrick Ewing. He doesn't have the offensive versatility of David Robinson or the go-to-move of Hakeem quite yet. But I can see him developing this over the next couple of years. Or maybe not. But a Marion-Ewing hybrid has been something to behold.
“Give him the ball in the post, get out of the way, and let him do his Dream Shake” is never going to be Ayton’s game. It doesn’t have to be.

Down the stretch last night there were several times that the Clippers doubled him when he didn’t even have the ball. A player who can generate that kind of gravity without even needing the ball is extremely valuable.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There was a moment I was thinking we should trade him for Larry Nance Jr. I had completely given up on him. He looked broken at times this year. I’m not sure what that was, but he has been incredible. Happy to be wrong, and happy that I don’t have James Jones job, I’d have botched it for sure.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:43 am
Why Ayton was the right No. 1 pick: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/316 ... oenix-suns
It roared to a head last season when Ayton was suspended 25 games for using a banned substance, a diuretic.
It was two seasons ago, right?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 am
Cap wrote:
It roared to a head last season when Ayton was suspended 25 games for using a banned substance, a diuretic.
Feels that way, but no. It was last season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 am
Cap wrote:
Feels that way, but no. It was last season.
Wow. It sure does. I guess last season was broken up into two seasons, pre pandemic and bubble.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I was on the same train as Split (SGA for DA). I am hoping the DA we are seeing in the playoffs is the new DA, not just-getting-to-my-2nd-contract DA.

He has been the most consistently good player throughout these playoffs, and I wouldn't have put money on him being in the top 4 on that list before the playoffs started.

I expected the +10 boards. But no way did I expect the 35 mpg, or the 73% from the field on 10 attempts, or only 2.5 fouls a game. Outstanding!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good article here with some really good quotes. https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2021 ... s-clippers

I like this one this most:
On his work ethic since he met Williams:

“I can say this: Monty definitely made me a super gym rat. There was times where I wouldn’t even come on days off. There’s a thing called, ‘Smelling the gym, touch the ball,’ at least. And he really instilled that in me where I constantly wanted to just sharpen my screws and be the best I could be. And knowing the type of level and the type of play style we have to come in with night in and night out, and to be consistent in what I do, I have to be in the gym. Just to see the results now at a high level and where we are right now, I don’t want to get out the gym. That’s what he really instilled in me and I kept it going.”

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am
Stupid thread.
Why? It's fun, sort of funny and kind of a nice "hey haters. What say you now?".

Ayton easily gets the most hate on these boards, prior to this postseason. I get it, he coasts at times. But if this is what we can almost always expect come postseason, this true DominAyton, give him that max.
He's matured this year thanks in huge part to Chris Paul. The Ayton doubters weren't wrong to doubt him being worthy of that #1 pick excluding this year and definitely this post season run. I'm way more comfortable in giving him the max now, but I believe this offseason I asked whether he was worth the max and there was a lot of doubt about that from the majority of the posters on this board.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Never once doubted Ayton. Just here to help dish up crow, ‘cause I’m helpful like that! :D

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:23 am
I was on the same train as Split (SGA for DA). I am hoping the DA we are seeing in the playoffs is the new DA, not just-getting-to-my-2nd-contract DA.

He has been the most consistently good player throughout these playoffs, and I wouldn't have put money on him being in the top 4 on that list before the playoffs started.

I expected the +10 boards. But no way did I expect the 35 mpg, or the 73% from the field on 10 attempts, or only 2.5 fouls a game. Outstanding!
His offensive efficiency has been something to marvel. His defense. He has to be one of the best big men who can guard on the perimeter. He's figured out where his bread and butter is - in the paint blocking shots, altering shots, rebounds, tip-ins, layups, and dunks.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:58 am
Same here. I joined this forum in June 2018 because we were going to draft Ayton and I wanted to be more involved in talking Suns again. I've never been prouder of the Bahamian Behemoth than I am right now. I wanted Ayton since before we won the draft lottery.

And I am an ASU alumnus. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.