Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Phoenix Suns @ Los Angeles Clippers Game III Thursday June 24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Phoenix Suns @ Los Angeles Clippers Game III Thursday June 24

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:47 am
It's disgusting that they always refuse to go to Ayton when Booker and/or Paul are struggling. And now it cost us a playoff win (and may have against the Lakers also). Have him post up in the low post like Shaq. He can't possibly have a worse % than Booker or Paul chucking all those shots.
Perhaps not, but I haven’t seen anything from Ayton to indicate he should be force fed post touches. If they go small, sure it might be worth a look for a few possessions, but he’s done most of his damage off guard penetration, rolling, and in transition. He can post from time to time if he gets good position early, but I’m not sure he’s a an efficient high volume post player.

JeremyG

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Phoenix Suns @ Los Angeles Clippers Game III Thursday June 24

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:03 am
JeremyG wrote:
It's disgusting that they always refuse to go to Ayton when Booker and/or Paul are struggling. And now it cost us a playoff win (and may have against the Lakers also). Have him post up in the low post like Shaq. He can't possibly have a worse % than Booker or Paul chucking all those shots.
Perhaps not, but I haven’t seen anything from Ayton to indicate he should be force fed post touches. If they go small, sure it might be worth a look for a few possessions, but he’s done most of his damage off guard penetration, rolling, and in transition. He can post from time to time if he gets good position early, but I’m not sure he’s a an efficient high volume post player.
Even with a big guarding him, he has a very good hook shot as long as he's close enough to the hoop. And he can hit a turnaround jumper over smaller defenders. Maybe not as efficient as his 72% FG average, but it would certainly be more efficient than Booker/Paul's 10 for 40.

Even Shaq only shot 55% FG in the playoffs during his three-peat, and Ayton is a way better FT shooter.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:33 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:03 am
JeremyG wrote:
Even with a big guarding him, he has a very good hook shot as long as he's close enough to the hoop. And he can hit a turnaround jumper over smaller defenders. Maybe not as efficient as his 72% FG average, but it would certainly be more efficient than Booker/Paul's 10 for 40.

Even Shaq only shot 55% FG in the playoffs during his three-peat, and Ayton is a way better FT shooter.
Ya I mean last night it was probably worth a try. And Ayton is a better ft shooter, but he rarely draws fouls. I’d be much more open to it if he drew fouls.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:48 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:21 am
Booker will never admit it and I thought he was pretty unlucky early in the game, but his nose/mask bothered him. Beverley deserves some credit for it as well in this game.
Actually, Beverley deserves all the credit for it, since it was his forehead that smashed into Booker's nose.
I’m sure it was a total accident.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
It goes both ways. They need to do better, but I think they need to do better motivating him to play his role so they can get him the ball. Ayton was coasting a lot of the game. He didn't put his body on guys and didn't seal. He is so much stronger and more athletic and yet he didn't use it after the 1st last night. Just look at his rebounding by quarters.

4/2/1/2. He played 18 minutes in the 2nd half and got 3 boards.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 pm
How does Beverley only have 2 fouls?
Marc Davis.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:47 pm
My worry right now is about Cam’s ankle, the fact that Beverly is clearly in Booker’s head, and Clippers having huge confidence now. Nervous as fuck right now.
I think it was the mask more than Beverly. But I guess he is the reason Book is wearing a mask in the first place.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:36 pm
Clippers really lived up to that Sons of Anarchy logo tonight.
I see it as a GTA San Andreas logo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

First thing I thought of when I saw that font was GTA San Andreas. The way the refs called the game last night really was grand theft.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:11 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
Marc Davis.
That guy's a dick.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
It goes both ways. They need to do better, but I think they need to do better motivating him to play his role so they can get him the ball. Ayton was coasting a lot of the game. He didn't put his body on guys and didn't seal. He is so much stronger and more athletic and yet he didn't use it after the 1st last night. Just look at his rebounding by quarters.

DA wasn't engaged but overall, I didn't think the team was either so it was hard to call just him out for it. And again, I think Zubac gives him a hard time. We need to pound them when they go small every time and then work the switch to bring Zubac out when they go big. We got the mismatch ast night a few times, but I don't think our guys had the legs to really blow by.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:20 pm
Indy wrote:
wpmiller42 wrote:
Marc Davis.
That guy's a dick.
yep. One of the ~10 refs I know by sight and that is always a sign he is going to fuck us over.

When you look at the overall records of the 3 refs we had last night, we were a combined 7-5 against them. 58.3%. That doesn't sound bad, except when you consider for the season we are 61-23 going into last night. 72.6%.

That is 20% off our win pace.

Obviously other factors are at play (namely the opponent), but to ignore the refs' influence would be stupid.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:24 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

DA wasn't engaged but overall, I didn't think the team was either so it was hard to call just him out for it. And again, I think Zubac gives him a hard time. We need to pound them when they go small every time and then work the switch to bring Zubac out when they go big. We got the mismatch ast night a few times, but I don't think our guys had the legs to really blow by.
I didn't mean to call him out for it. I know the guys didn't bring it last night, and it wasn't just him. I was just pointing out he wasn't doing the basics of his job, so I can't fault the other guys for not forcing him the ball.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Hard to do that without Payne, and a Chris Paul that hasn't played a basketball game in nearly 2 weeks, and good perimeter defenders that are allowed to man-handle our guards.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Payne is out, and it looks like he might be, Carter is a guy who's quick enough to get by his man. You just have to live with the decision he'll make. But he can hit the midrange or get to the basket. I know Monty likes steady, which is why he's gone with Moore but Carter might be better for this series.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:43 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:48 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:21 am
Booker will never admit it and I thought he was pretty unlucky early in the game, but his nose/mask bothered him. Beverley deserves some credit for it as well in this game.
Actually, Beverley deserves all the credit for it, since it was his forehead that smashed into Booker's nose.
I’m sure it was a total accident.
Beverly is a master of making a dirty play "look" like and accident. No, you don't play defense with your forehead.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:32 pm
ShelC wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Hard to do that without Payne, and a Chris Paul that hasn't played a basketball game in nearly 2 weeks, and good perimeter defenders that are allowed to man-handle our guards.
Yes, that has got to stop. That is not legal. What happened to the league cracking down on hand checking?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:51 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:32 pm
ShelC wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Yes, that has got to stop. That is not legal. What happened to the league cracking down on hand checking?
to be fair that always seems to go away in the playoffs. we need to be better prepared for it.

I will live with the stupid calls and the non-calls as long as we play with more intensity and competitiveness than the Clippers. I think 9 wins in a row might have made us complacent. Honestly, this is a pretty even match up when both teams are healthy. Without Kawhi, they should be big under dogs. But they didn't show it last night and we caved.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

pickle wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm
Dear basketball gods, I don’t ask for much, not even during the most depressing years. But please, no more injuries. Thank you.
That didn’t age well

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

They had to lose sometime. I expect them to come back with a vengeance for game 4.