Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Suns @ Clippers Game 4, Sat June 26

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Suns @ Clippers Game 4, Sat June 26

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:00 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:50 am
I agree about the officiating. Wasn't perfect, but at least it wasn't lopsided which is as good as NBA fans can hope for.

(Yes, I know I complain about 'make up calls'.)
With respect to the calls, what bothered me more was the reactions from the Clippers players after some of those extremely obvious fouls. Like that one on Zubac where he asked for a replay. It both rubs me the wrong way and suggests that they expect the calls to go their way which is bullshit.

I also agree with JVG that the people instigating these newsrooms that lead to techs should be penalized. There’s a whole replay center, are they expecting all these players to just turn the other cheek when they retaliate? If the league really wants to crack down on the altercations then they should penalize those who actually were the aggressors.
Yeah, tonight wasn’t too bad. I’d say there were an equal number of missed calls on both sides. We got a break when they didn’t call a three point play when Bridges fouled Mann near the end. Also glad they didn’t review the play where the ball was knocked out of Paynes hands and probably went off his fingertip. They missed some the other way as well.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:12 am
pickle wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I agree about the officiating. Wasn't perfect, but at least it wasn't lopsided which is as good as NBA fans can hope for.

With respect to the calls, what bothered me more was the reactions from the Clippers players after some of those extremely obvious fouls. Like that one on Zubac where he asked for a replay. It both rubs me the wrong way and suggests that they expect the calls to go their way which is bullshit.

I also agree with JVG that the people instigating these newsrooms that lead to techs should be penalized. There’s a whole replay center, are they expecting all these players to just turn the other cheek when they retaliate? If the league really wants to crack down on the altercations then they should penalize those who actually were the aggressors.
Yeah, tonight wasn’t too bad. I’d say there were an equal number of missed calls on both sides. We got a break when they didn’t call a three point play when Bridges fouled Mann near the end. Also glad they didn’t review the play where the ball was knocked out of Paynes hands and probably went off his fingertip. They missed some the other way as well.
Bridges cleanly stripped George in one of those late possessions. Reggie Jackson fouled Booker before he got near Beverley who positioned himself under Booker as he was already going up.

We could do this with every possession in every game. Part of the problem is that it's the playoffs and the games matter more than Minnesota vs. Detroit in February.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:47 pm
Yeah, we can’t mess around now. We need to get serious about finishing them off on Monday. We could use the rest before the Finals start. Plus, as close as these games have been with the Clippers, we can’t let up one iota. We do NOT want to go back to LA. If we can knock off the Clippers, I believe we’ll be only the third team to knock out both LA teams in the same playoffs.
Does that include the Suns in 2006?
I believe the stat was for teams that did it on their way to the NBA Finals (and made it to said Finals.)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:08 am
pickle wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

The Clippers act like they've never committed a foul in the history of basketball. Except for Beverley who'll pull off a perfect form tackle and then raise his hand after the whistle as if everyone watching didn't just see him nearly injure another opponent.

Zubac did the disbelieving act twice tonight. I got a chuckle out of the look Ty Lue gave him after seeing the replay.

Yep this was the one. I really don’t get how obtuse they can be.
I like Mann and won’t be too bothered if Zubac ever backed up Ayton, but I lost a lot of respect for him on these protests despite his solid play.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And I have been complaining about George pushing off a lot in this series and they called a foul on him early in the game on just that. Glad they decided that was a foul again.

pickle

Post by pickle »

One more thing on my mind. The last iso Booker had on Beverley, Beverley had his hands all over him. I wish Booker had taken a page out of Paul’s book to swing his arms and draw contact to force a foul. That’s a useful way to combat the physicality, to get the refs to blow their whistles. At the time they were in the penalty and 2 free points would have certainly helped.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Believe Monty is referencing Nader here:

Last edited by ShelC on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://www.nba.com/suns/team-first-mentality
The Indiana Pacers forced a steal with 21 seconds left in Game 2 of the 2004 Eastern Conference Finals against the Detroit Pistons.

Reggie Miller sprinted up the court for a routine, fastbreak layup to tie the game. However, the Pistons’ Tayshaun Prince hustled back and soared for the game-saving block before diving three rows into the fans seated courtside to seal the game.

The Pacers went on to lose the series in six games as the Pistons advanced and won the NBA Finals, but this memory remains with Suns general manager James Jones. He was a 23-year-old Pacer at the time, and that moment has served as a constant reminder throughout his career of the value of every possession, every play and every detail.

“As a rookie watching that, I learned all it takes is one play,” Jones recently recalled. “You can make one play that can change fortunes. From that point forward, for me, it became not focused on games, not focused on all these other things. It was just focusing on one play and valuing one possession.

“Just thinking in terms of, 'Can I make one play to help my team?' Because one play can be the difference between going to the Finals and going home.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:29 pm
Mike Breen was hilarious when he said “Kawhi Leonard going crazy!” while showing him emotionless in his suite.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Awesome job again Shel

I'm here now reading tweets from during the game. That 4th quarter was brutal, again it's so much better to be able to make fun of it than be stressed wondering how we could have missed so much and taken a L

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Another thing is
It's great to see the love our guys have for each other and how they're always giving each other props and high praise.

Might have just been the adrenaline and excitement still talking but Only Person that was really good was Ayton.
The Book did his thing type comments are well cute smh lol

I'm sure when CP3 n Book watch over the film they probably gonna be shaking their heads alot and being more critical but for the millionth time. It will be better watching it after a Win :D

Let me Edit this some after reading the thread. It's interesting to see basically all of us thoughts on Book and I don't think we are being in any way overly critical. So as I said cool for CP3 to be saying Book is an old soul which I guess means playing beyond his years in terms of poise n maturity but that is clearly an exaggeration.

I hope will all that respect he has for CP3 and the fact that we know both of them gonna be on the phone breaking down the game with each other "away from the media" that CP3 let's him know he could be better and much smarter. Beverly and the Clippers on a whole are getting to him, one of the telling signs for me is the amount of times Book actually got to the key and midrange but then pump faked like he was worried about getting blocked. In Flow Book just rises up on just about everyone, he also do one dribble move too many when having guys beat the first time. So yea Clippers clearly bothering him so hopefully it's just little things those two can see on film to adjust because I would like a better game from him.

Doesn't necessarily need to be no 30-40pt blowup game but can't keep seeing Immature Book show up
Last edited by bajanguy008 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:43 pm
Giving up too many offensive rebounds
I'm glad I wasn't watching Live
This would have gotten the better of me, super frustrating

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:51 pm
I wasn’t sure if I was watching a basketball game or a hockey game that last quarter. We won and are up 3/1, so screw everything else.

FINISH THEM!
Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm watching NBA or WWE the way it's officiated.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's just the lack of consistency. Seems like they've been calling the offensive hunting foul in the last two games when they haven't called it all season. They called it on Paul late in the game when he tried to draw a foul in transition, but didn't call a Reggie Jackson foul when he stopped and threw his head back into Book's face on a drive.

The retaliation Ts are absolute bullshit and the league should address it. I'd rather the refs go back and look who initiated things rather than just T up the guy reacting. They know the guy is obviously reacting to something done to him but won't punish the instigator. It's just wild. Or, they let Pat Bev run to the refs with arms waving arguing a call, but T up another guy for being overly demonstrative. Just be consistent and use common sense. They're calling these games based on rep, not the rules.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh right
Forgot to mention. I know some on here not a fan of all the extra jerseys teams have, I don't really mind tbh but that Clippers grey kit is disgusting :roll:

That alone was enough reason for me not to want to lose last night :) :lol:

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:50 am
It's just the lack of consistency. Seems like they've been calling the offensive hunting foul in the last two games when they haven't called it all season. They called it on Paul late in the game when he tried to draw a foul in transition, but didn't call a Reggie Jackson foul when he stopped and threw his head back into Book's face on a drive.

The retaliation Ts are absolute bullshit and the league should address it. I'd rather the refs go back and look who initiated things rather than just T up the guy reacting. They know the guy is obviously reacting to something done to him but won't punish the instigator. It's just wild. Or, they let Pat Bev run to the refs with arms waving arguing a call, but T up another guy for being overly demonstrative. Just be consistent and use common sense. They're calling these games based on rep, not the rules.
I agree for the most part, tho I don’t mind the offensive foul on CP3 when he jumped in the way of Beverley. I’m glad that they gave Beverley a tech when he slapped the ball out of CP3’s hands right after. I do think with some of these reactionary techs that they should go back to look at what happened and if someone was clearly instigating then they should have make up techs given. If they don’t want to slow down the game then have the call come out of Secaucus. It’s not like these are out of bounds plays where you need to go frame by frame and cover all twelve angles. There’s usually one very clear angle of evidence if there was instigation.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Danimal wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:20 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:57 pm
Beverly is going to hurt somebody even worse next game. They let him do whatever he wants and he still complains about it.
Yes, really hate his whining after his fouls.
T him up
Beverly is a complete piece of shit. He fouls, whines , flops he baits and the refs pretend like they’ve never seen his act before. Clippers keep instigating stuff and we get penalised. It’s been total joy to see him in games 2 and 4 puffing his chest out like they had the game won at the end only to see them piss it away. Get smith to come off the bench and punch him in face if a fan doesn’t do it first.
A clean elbow to the mouth is in order for the last game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:56 am
Danimal wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:20 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:57 pm
Beverly is going to hurt somebody even worse next game. They let him do whatever he wants and he still complains about it.
Yes, really hate his whining after his fouls.
T him up
Beverly is a complete piece of shit. He fouls, whines , flops he baits and the refs pretend like they’ve never seen his act before. Clippers keep instigating stuff and we get penalised. It’s been total joy to see him in games 2 and 4 puffing his chest out like they had the game won at the end only to see them piss it away. Get smith to come off the bench and punch him in face if a fan doesn’t do it first.
A clean elbow to the mouth is in order for the last game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A few more DA clips