Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Suns @ Clippers Game 4, Sat June 26

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Suns @ Clippers Game 4, Sat June 26

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:10 am
One more thing on my mind. The last iso Booker had on Beverley, Beverley had his hands all over him. I wish Booker had taken a page out of Paul’s book to swing his arms and draw contact to force a foul. That’s a useful way to combat the physicality, to get the refs to blow their whistles. At the time they were in the penalty and 2 free points would have certainly helped.
Book has actually been pretty good at mimicking that move. I don't know why he doesn't think about it with Beverly on him. He would be an easy target. His hands are all over Book at all times. And he never even buys him dinner first.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:07 am
Another thing is
It's great to see the love our guys have for each other and how they're always giving each other props and high praise.

Might have just been the adrenaline and excitement still talking but Only Person that was really good was Ayton.
The Book did his thing type comments are well cute smh lol

I'm sure when CP3 n Book watch over the film they probably gonna be shaking their heads alot and being more critical but for the millionth time. It will be better watching it after a Win :D

Let me Edit this some after reading the thread. It's interesting to see basically all of us thoughts on Book and I don't think we are being in any way overly critical. So as I said cool for CP3 to be saying Book is an old soul which I guess means playing beyond his years in terms of poise n maturity but that is clearly an exaggeration.

I hope will all that respect he has for CP3 and the fact that we know both of them gonna be on the phone breaking down the game with each other "away from the media" that CP3 let's him know he could be better and much smarter. Beverly and the Clippers on a whole are getting to him, one of the telling signs for me is the amount of times Book actually got to the key and midrange but then pump faked like he was worried about getting blocked. In Flow Book just rises up on just about everyone, he also do one dribble move too many when having guys beat the first time. So yea Clippers clearly bothering him so hopefully it's just little things those two can see on film to adjust because I would like a better game from him.

Doesn't necessarily need to be no 30-40pt blowup game but can't keep seeing Immature Book show up
I do think you and others are being overly critical about Book. I know he's not one of "your guys" but cut him a little slack. He's not the only player that struggled to shoot well in this game. Not by a long shot. Most players on both sides did as well. This was a defensive BATTLE.

Book IS an old soul. However, it doesn't always apply to everything on the court. Yes, he can be a bit of a hothead on the court. Yes, he needs to learn better poise. He admitted as much in the post game press conference if you watched it. Book is doing everything in his power to help this team win in spite of adversity like have his nose broken in three places. Cut him some slack.

These guys are all brothers. They are all in this together. This is a TEAM. Go Suns!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really like the way Booker is playing in these playoffs. He is scoring a bunch and getting some good assists, but he is not forcing it and trying to hero-ball every shot and score 30+ every single game. If the opponent is double-teaming him and not giving him any daylight, he's passing the ball and letting others score. He's making smart basketball plays and generally taking good shots. He's also done a pretty good job of dealing with a relentless amount of shady defense by Beverley, including a lot of extracurricular junk such as pushes, grabs, and hits, without losing his cool much or letting it totally take him out of the game. I think the way he is playing is just about the best he could be playing to help us win.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:15 pm
I really like the way Booker is playing in these playoffs. He is scoring a bunch and getting some good assists, but he is not forcing it and trying to hero-ball every shot and score 30+ every single game. If the opponent is double-teaming him and not giving him any daylight, he's passing the ball and letting others score. He's making smart basketball plays and generally taking good shots. He's also done a pretty good job of dealing with a relentless amount of shady defense by Beverley, including a lot of extracurricular junk such as pushes, grabs, and hits, without losing his cool much or letting it totally take him out of the game. I think the way he is playing is just about the best he could be playing to help us win.
Everyone knows I'm far from one of the Doom n Gloom posters on here but Mori this is quite the Rosy take and that's just my opinion

'Bone said he's giving his all and trying his best to get us a Win. I don't question that but I can't get behind saying Book playing the best he can, it's never about the misses with me just being smarter and there r many instances where I didn't like his decision making.

To be continued
I believe he can be better and really want him to be tomorrow. That's all it is really
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought last night he was trying to ISO too much. I don't know if that was part of the offensive plan but it seemed like we'd be pushing the pace and moving the ball, then it would get to Book and stick. He was holding the ball until 7-8 on the shotclock, forcing a bad shot or passing to a teammate who was then forced to take a shot with the clock winding down.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:23 pm
I thought last night he was trying to ISO too much. I don't know if that was part of the offensive plan but it seemed like we'd be pushing the pace and moving the ball, then it would get to Book and stick. He was holding the ball until 7-8 on the shotclock, forcing a bad shot or passing to a teammate who was then forced to take a shot with the clock winding down.
Yep, gotta get better at that. Stick to our 0.5 second offense. Save the forced shot for the end of the shot clock. Then absolutely let Book try and create. Or Paul.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

That was the hardest game to watch. Not because of the offense, but because somehow Abdul Nader got a hold of the Monty Williams nudes and blackmailed his way into the rotation. What the hell. You got to be kidding me.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:29 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:23 pm
Yep, gotta get better at that. Stick to our 0.5 second offense. Save the forced shot for the end of the shot clock. Then absolutely let Book try and create. Or Paul.

100% mental game right now with Book. He’s gotta stop thinking so much about Bev and just play our team game.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

DA was the best player on the court last night and probably this entire series so far. That was as dominant a performance by a big man the Suns have ever had, even if he “only” scored 19 points. He was everywhere on both sides of the court.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm really impressed with the Clippers scheme to defend the midrange shots. They always have a help defender ready and that guy doesn't focus on the ballhandler but instead they defend the area where they anticipate the shot will come from. That's so difficult to do because its counterintuitive to how they've played defense their whole life.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:58 pm
I'm really impressed with the Clippers scheme to defend the midrange shots. They always have a help defender ready and that guy doesn't focus on the ballhandler but instead they defend the area where they anticipate the shot will come from. That's so difficult to do because its counterintuitive to how they've played defense their whole life.
It would be very helpful if Paul or Booker would take or hit a pull up 3.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:14 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:58 pm
It would be very helpful if Paul or Booker would take or hit a pull up 3.
Shooting a combined 0-8 is not ideal.

I have a gut feeling the Clippers won't be as terrible from deep in game 5. We really need to have some guys hit shots.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:00 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:50 am
I agree about the officiating. Wasn't perfect, but at least it wasn't lopsided which is as good as NBA fans can hope for.

(Yes, I know I complain about 'make up calls'.)
With respect to the calls, what bothered me more was the reactions from the Clippers players after some of those extremely obvious fouls. Like that one on Zubac where he asked for a replay. It both rubs me the wrong way and suggests that they expect the calls to go their way which is bullshit.

I also agree with JVG that the people instigating these exchanges (dunno how that got autocorrected to newsrooms) that lead to techs should be penalized. There’s a whole replay center, are they expecting all these players to just turn the other cheek when they retaliate? If the league really wants to crack down on the altercations then they should penalize those who actually were the aggressors.
And there is literally only one game going on at a time. It isn't hard to get it right.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:47 pm
What is wrong with Van Gundy?! Last time he said they shouldn’t review it.
I think he was making a point. Last game Breen and Jackson kept saying it doesn't matter how long you have to look at that, you have to just GET. IT. RIGHT. So JVG is like, really? You guys believe that? Then what is up with this call?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:01 pm
Ayton played a great game, but listen to yourselves.

Do you really trust him to catch the ball, make a move, and score in a late game situation? Unless it's a quick move, he's just not composed enough to go one-on-one in crunch time.
Exactly. He isn't the center of the offense, and might never be. But he can be the center of the defense and dominate the glass. Let's let him be great at what he's been great out this post-season, and spoon feed him his points.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:00 pm
Is Mikal on the IR or did he turn into a ghost.

Damn I want to love that guy but we need him and Cam Johnson when Book and CP3 are struggling like they did tonight.

I am getting tired of watching Book and CP3 going one on one all night.

I guess Mikal is playing good defense but I see Paul George getting by him pretty easily and he seems to never get a shot off. I really cannot see giving him huge money this off season. Good Money but not Dominayton money.
He shot 50% from the field and grabbed 13 boards! Not to mention a couple blocks. He didn't get a lot of looks because our two worst-shooting players decided to take over 20 shots each.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:03 pm
Need someone to make a shot
That time from 10:07 left in the game to 6:35 was awful. There are literally 49 lines on the Play-by-Play log without a single point being scored.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:44 pm
Crowder’s shot is dead.
He is 7-22 this series from 3.

He started the Lakers series 2-20, before ending with 6-9 in the close out game.

Let's see how he does Monday...

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:47 pm
DA was the best player on the court last night and probably this entire series so far. That was as dominant a performance by a big man the Suns have ever had, even if he “only” scored 19 points. He was everywhere on both sides of the court.
Many times I saw a Clipper get to the key and kick it out because they were not going to get by Ayton. He impacted the game even more than what the box score showed.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

pickle wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:46 am
Also thrilled to see that PG13 offensive foul when he extended his off arm.
Nodack wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:57 am
And I have been complaining about George pushing off a lot in this series and they called a foul on him early in the game on just that. Glad they decided that was a foul again.
I feel like Chris Paul literally went to Monty and said, "Let me guard PG just one time and I will make sure to get that push-off called on him."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.