Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Suns @ Clippers Game 4, Sat June 26

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Furlanfufi

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition - WCF Suns @ Clippers Game 4, Sat June 26

Post by Furlanfufi »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:05 am
Oh right
Forgot to mention. I know some on here not a fan of all the extra jerseys teams have, I don't really mind tbh but that Clippers grey kit is disgusting :roll:

That alone was enough reason for me not to want to lose last night :) :lol:
they look like pajamas

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The entire Clippers brand identity looks like something made with MS Paint, so it makes sense to me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:20 pm
JustWinBaby wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:00 pm
Is Mikal on the IR or did he turn into a ghost.

Damn I want to love that guy but we need him and Cam Johnson when Book and CP3 are struggling like they did tonight.

I am getting tired of watching Book and CP3 going one on one all night.

I guess Mikal is playing good defense but I see Paul George getting by him pretty easily and he seems to never get a shot off. I really cannot see giving him huge money this off season. Good Money but not Dominayton money.
He shot 50% from the field and grabbed 13 boards! Not to mention a couple blocks. He didn't get a lot of looks because our two worst-shooting players decided to take over 20 shots each.
I went back an looked. Only 1 Clipper shot 50% or better: Zubac, 5-8.

The Suns had 3: Bridges 3-6, Ayton 8-14, and Johnson 2-4.

Bridges was one of the least of our worries. His 13 boards were huge.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ayton's fg% is slipping! What a bum.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If someone doesn't think Bridges played well then I wonder which game they were watching. He was the best defender and rebounder on the Suns besides Ayton, and even then it was pretty close between the two.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:14 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:58 pm
I'm really impressed with the Clippers scheme to defend the midrange shots. They always have a help defender ready and that guy doesn't focus on the ballhandler but instead they defend the area where they anticipate the shot will come from. That's so difficult to do because its counterintuitive to how they've played defense their whole life.
It would be very helpful if Paul or Booker would take or hit a pull up 3.
The Clippers guards are also pressuring the Suns in the backcourt, but they almost immediately back off to the three point line once the ball handler crosses half court. This is an impressive adjustment because it takes away part of the Suns PnR effectiveness. The Suns prefer to initiate the PnR higher, near half court because it stretches the defense and gives the guard more space to make a play. It's more difficult to get a good pullup 3 when the screen is being set right at the 3-point line.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I'm really impressed with the Clippers scheme to defend the midrange shots. They always have a help defender ready and that guy doesn't focus on the ballhandler but instead they defend the area where they anticipate the shot will come from. That's so difficult to do because its counterintuitive to how they've played defense their whole life.
The Clippers guards are also pressuring the Suns in the backcourt, but they almost immediately back off to the three point line once the ball handler crosses half court. This is an impressive adjustment because it takes away part of the Suns PnR effectiveness. The Suns prefer to initiate the PnR higher, near half court because it stretches the defense and gives the guard more space to make a play. It's more difficult to get a good pullup 3 when the screen is being set right at the 3-point line.
Why not start the pick n roll in the backcourt. Obviously the defender would just go under, but it might get us into our offense quicker as I’ve seen Paul and Booker get slowed with that pressure. And might get a few times where the defender gets caught on the screen.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:38 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Why not start the pick n roll in the backcourt. Obviously the defender would just go under, but it might get us into our offense quicker as I’ve seen Paul and Booker get slowed with that pressure. And might get a few times where the defender gets caught on the screen.
Having the screener come up to midcourt could be an effective wrinkle if the Clippers rely on that pressure-to-sag scheme they used in the fourth quarter.

However, that would be pushing our luck with the 8-second violation because I think the defense would try to trap the ball handler. The ballhandler would probably try to pass to the screener and having them receive a pass 40-feet from the rim isn't threatening the defense. Even if the screener just held the ball and gave it back to the guard, we'd be in the same situation of about 15 seconds on the shot clock with the defense set up to defend the PnR at the 3-point line.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Do you think LA would bring Zubac out to half court to trap? I could see them doing this if they’re playing small ball, but not with Zubac.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:58 pm
Do you think LA would bring Zubac out to half court to trap? I could see them doing this if they’re playing small ball, but not with Zubac.
I wouldn't put it past them to try. Deandre Ayton with the ball at midcourt and being baited into making a play isn't a terrible defensive strategy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:13 pm
Split T wrote:
I wouldn't put it past them to try. Deandre Ayton with the ball at midcourt and being baited into making a play isn't a terrible defensive strategy.
True but they’d be in a lot of trouble if our ball handler beat the trap

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:20 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:13 pm
Split T wrote:
True but they’d be in a lot of trouble if our ball handler beat the trap
Of course, but now we're getting down the rabbit hole of moves and counter moves.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Good discussion Split and FF
I been thinking about that back court pressure too and what puzzles me is basketball at any level, you don't let guards get into your guys full court like that.
I get it that CP3 n Book like to say go ahead that they don't need the screen but it just extra work for them IMO. There's just no reason not to have some backcourt screens on n off, you just have to get Beverly n Mann off the guys. What then happens is that even if the screener isn't coming they now have to keep their head on a swivel. Right now they just lock in and dog our guys all the way up the court.

As for our offense, I wouldn't have DA be the screener in the backcourt because still want his roll to the basket to be immediate and get Zubac playing the drop coverage.
So I would have Crowder set the screen and DA still look to set another screen when they come over half court. Then Crowder can always act as a trailer option for CP3 for the 3 at the top of the key while CP3 still has the usual midrange pull-up or lob to DA.

In my mind it sounds good smh lol ☺️☺️
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like it bajanguy…might even be able to force the switch early and get a guy like Beverley off Book.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here is what we mean when we say get it to Ayton more when Booker and Paul are struggling with their shooting. Just looking at some of CP3's misses in the 4th:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameE ... t&sct=plot -- could have easily thrown it up high for Ayton with Beverley on him

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameE ... t&sct=plot -- Ayton posting up Mann in the lane, Paul could draw Zubac out further and dump it to Ayton

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameE ... t&sct=plot -- could have easily lobbed it up for Ayton to get an easy basket in crunch time
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:52 am
Take that L.A.! Their fans have been invading our home games for decades. It’s nice to see we can do the same. If I was a Suns fan there cheering them on I think I would slip on a Clipper jersey for my exit though…

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:44 pm
Crowder’s shot is dead.
He is 7-22 this series from 3.

He started the Lakers series 2-20, before ending with 6-9 in the close out game.

Let's see how he does Monday...
OK. Let's see how he does Wednesday, :?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:44 pm
The entire Clippers brand identity looks like something made with MS Paint, so it makes sense to me.

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 am
Indy wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:44 pm
Crowder’s shot is dead.
He is 7-22 this series from 3.

He started the Lakers series 2-20, before ending with 6-9 in the close out game.

Let's see how he does Monday...
OK. Let's see how he does Wednesday, :?
Not too shabby!