Game Day, Playoff Edition — WCF: Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ LA Clippers, Wed 6/30/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BKinSJC

Re: Game Day, Playoff Edition — WCF: Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ LA Clippers, Wed 6/30/2021

Post by BKinSJC »

I'm in the group that was at an impressionable age during the finals run in '76. It's been a long time coming back around again. I've been resigned for years to believing that the Sarver era might never see another "good" Suns team, much less a finals run.

There's a lot of credit to go around, but it seems to me like the one guy who can take credit for being the architect has been pretty quiet: James Jones. After a decade of clueless leadership, drafting 19-year-old knuckleheads and hoping that throwing them together with a few playing-for-paychecks veterans would somehow cohere into a culture, Jones stepped in, assessed what was worth keeping, and cleaned house. He brought in Monty as a voice the players could respect and believe in, he targeted veterans and drafted guys that would be positives sooner rather than later, and he created an atmosphere conducive enough to winning that an intelligent basketball player like Chris Paul, late in his career and with the ability to pick a team for a last chance, would make this organization his choice. The rest, aided by a little luck and a lot of hard work, has been the kind of magic that doesn't happen often.

I know that Jones got the Executive of the Year award, and that's nice and deserved recognition; but there've also been people trying to revisit the McDonough era and posthumously give him credit, which is ridiculous; other than drafting Booker, all he did was fail for years to create anything worthwhile at all. Not that I think Jones cares about that kind of thing; like everybody who matters in this organization now, the only thing he worries and thinks about is how to put the team in a position to win.

AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day, Playoff Edition — WCF: Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ LA Clippers, Wed 6/30/2021

Post by AmareIsGod »

I was 10 years old in 93'. I went to the Madhouse On McDowell with my dad and watched the Western Conference Finals game 3 on a giant screen on each end of the arena. The entire place was full (or seemed full to a 10 year old me) and so loud watching an away game. Seems like a lifetime ago. I shed a few tears last night watching the post game ceremony on the court with the players, Monty and Sarver.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Was 5 in ‘93, I’ve got vague memories of that finals…remember being mad because I thought KJ got fouled on that last shot in game 6, haha. Thanks to my dad for making me a suns fan. We’ve probably watched 1000’s of suns games over the years together…unfortunately he passed away last year, but a little part of me thinks maybe he’s pulling some strings somewhere to make this season happen. It’s been a special one and just going to get more special! Go Suns!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:11 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:34 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:14 pm
I just bought NBA Finals Game 1 tickets! Lower bowl, middle middle!

Lower Level Center 114
ROW
SEATS
16 - 17
That is awesome! That means you have to have a beer with us while you are in town. I’m probably not supposed to have beer yet but, I’ll make an exemption for you. I’m not supposed to drive yet either but, would figure that out.

We definitely need a big get together if the unthinkable happens and we manage to win it all.
Let’s do it! I’ll pick you up. I’m flying in Monday night so I’ll be there if the game is on Tuesday. It will be Tuesday or Thursday. I’ll be staying at my mom’s place and I’ll have access to her car.
Still an outside chance I can fly in from HK -- will keep an eye out if this materializes.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’ve got first round if it does.

HK? Hong Kong?

Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

England Sun wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:13 pm
This board is amazing and has been in all its iterations over the years.
Word.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Stop it! You’re gonna make me cry again.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I saw a tweet that a James Jones team has won the title or been in the Finals 8 of the last 10 years.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:49 am
I saw a tweet that a James Jones team has won the title or been in the Finals 8 of the last 10 years.
That may have had more to do with LeBron James than James Jones.

Cap

Post by Cap »

What does “wasn’t meant for you” mean? He thought he was shoving somebody else?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:06 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:49 am
That may have had more to do with LeBron James than James Jones.
It's like that stat that, until this year, a teammate or former teammate of Shaq had been in the Finals for something like 37 straight years.

sose

Post by sose »

Maldonado wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:07 am
England Sun wrote:
Word.
So glad there is still a board here. I don't spend enough time here.

sose

Post by sose »

I will be flying to PHX around game 5 or 6 when we should be finishing off the hawks/bucks. Can't wait to party in AZ!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

sose wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:14 pm
Maldonado wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:07 am
England Sun wrote:
Word.
So glad there is still a board here. I don't spend enough time here.
You don't, stranger! What a year to be a Suns fan. Glad you're still kicking. This is great for the old timers we've lost (MEE and Swing) and those we don't know we've lost. I wonder sometimes where some people have gone.

I actually talk to my wife from time to time about conversations we have on here. You all have become an extended family over the years. It's really crazy. I've never met any of you other than BAMF by pure luck. Got a random haircut, we both talked Suns and then he told me about phxsuns.net. I told him I'm already on there and he told his username and my mind was blown. I already knew UODucks and told him about this site and he's been a HUGE addition.

What a time to be a Suns fan. It's been a hard life cheering for this team, that's for sure. Lots of heartbreak and misery.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It has been a LONG drought. We kept each other going through the decade long lean years. To have them blow up like this is crazy. As excited as I am to make the Finals, I want it all now. Bring on whoever is left over all banged up and not rested while the Suns study up and rest waiting for a guaranteed home court advantage.

AbeVroman

Post by AbeVroman »

I haven't been around in a long time and my login and password still work! Kudos to phxsuns.net and thank you for your site over the many many years.

Great to see all your names and read all your takes! It's like visiting old family.

Let's finish this off and finally get what we have long sought. What an incredible finish by Chris Paul.

This means so much for our team, our fans and our city. I love seeing the SUNS fans the world over making their voices heard.

LET'S GOOOOOOO!!!

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Danimal wrote:Any Australia based suns fans here?
Here here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Yeah .. Sydney

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:25 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:41 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:14 pm
I just bought NBA Finals Game 1 tickets! Lower bowl, middle middle!

Lower Level Center 114
ROW
SEATS
16 - 17
Fantastic seats. 114 is the best section unless you prefer being close to the bench.

What did those set you back?
You really want to know? It’s almost embarrassing but I had thought about it before we actually did it and advanced to the NBA Finals and knew as a life-long Suns fan, I had to go to a game no matter the cost. Especially with these insane Suns fan crowds we’ve been having.

Ok, here’s the breakdown: Tickets were $2250 each with the additional INSANE fees of $1267! This was via Stub Hub and then they sent me the tickets via Ticketmaster.
Can I come?

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I'm so f'ing pumped that they are in the Finals. I was 9 in 93, so only have vague memories of heartbreak. The only downside is that I'm leaving for a vacation in Antigua on July 17, so there's a chance I won't even be in the country for a good portion of the series. Otherwise, I'd 100% be up for flying out for a potential get together/victory parade party.

One of my buddies is from AZ and a lifelong Suns fan and is now in CT like me, and we've been in disbelief over this run. I told him that if he would get the "suns in four" photo along with the O'Brien trophy tattooed somewhere, I'd pay for it, and his immediate response was "AGREED," so if the unthinkable happens, I'll be sure to send a pic if he does indeed go through with it.