Game Day, NBA Finals Edition — Game 1 — Milwaukee Bucks @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 7/6/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Game Day, NBA Finals Edition — Game 1 — Milwaukee Bucks @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 7/6/2021

Post by Superbone »

Time: 6:00 pm AZ (6:00 pm PT/9:00 pm ET)
Place: Phoenix Suns Arena, Phoenix, AZ
TV: ABC

The Phoenix Suns will play host to the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 1 of the NBA Finals on Tuesday night. The Suns and Bucks both entered the NBA as expansion teams to start the 1968-1969 season. The Suns called heads and lost the coin flip for the rights to Lew Alcindor, better known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar. The Milwaukee Bucks won their one and only NBA championship in 1971. This will be the Phoenix Suns third Finals appearance but they have yet to win an NBA championship.

Go Suns!!!

Dis • cuss

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Re: Game Day, NBA Finals Edition — Game 1 — Milwaukee Bucks @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 7/6/2021

Post by pickle »

Wondering what Giannis’ status is for that game. Given that he might have come back for game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals I think he will play game one. We should be prepared tho for him to be unproductive and then to swap mid game to feeding Lopez down low.

Nodack

Re: Game Day, NBA Finals Edition — Game 1 — Milwaukee Bucks @ Phoenix Suns, Tuesday 7/6/2021

Post by Nodack »

Ya Bone! You starting the first FINALS Game Day thread is perfect! You are the perfect Suns fan and deserve to be the guy. I have my new appropriate avatar. I have been sporting a new one for each new series in this magical season and wasn't about to stop now. We are all in now.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Polly says, the Bucks stop here! GO SUNS!!

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Man it feels surreal to have this kind of Game day thread. We used to have silly threads to discuss which player to draft.
Thank you Bone.
Last edited by Democritus on Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Remember when the Bucks didn't win a game in Phoenix for almost 26 years? Let's get back to that type of dominance in this series! https://nba.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/bu ... nt-page-1/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:57 pm
Ya Bone! You starting the first FINALS Game Day thread is perfect! You are the perfect Suns fan and deserve to be the guy. I have my new appropriate avatar. I have been sporting a new one for each new series in this magical season and wasn't about to stop now. We are all in now.
Thanks, man. Love the avatar. The Bucks stop here!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:50 pm
Remember when the Bucks didn't win a game in Phoenix for almost 26 years? Let's get back to that type of dominance in this series! https://nba.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/bu ... nt-page-1/
The Suns have won 5 out of 6 in the last three seasons.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I’m going to rely on you guys for at least games 2 and 3 game day threads as I had an already scheduled Vegas trip planned starting Thursday. I’ll be back home for game 4. Besides, we had a great winning streak with new thread starters in the playoffs so far.
"Be Legendary."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Let's go Suns! It would be great to set a tone early with a convincing win in Game 1. It's going to be so nerve-wracking this Finals series, and hopefully so much fun.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Am I crazy for being completely confident that we are going to beat the Bucks in this series? I just look at their team and feel strongly that we are better.

PG - Jrue vs CP3 - Point God is better, no contest.
SG - Connaughton vs Booker - LMAO c'mon.
SF - Middleton vs Bridges - Middleton is the much better offensive player, but Bridges is an all-NBA worthy defender and will slow him down.
PF - Tucker vs Crowder - Our rugged veteran 3&D PF is younger and shooting much better than theirs.
C - Lopez vs Ayton - Ayton will shut down any Lopez inside game and can also somewhat bother his outside shooting as needed.

Now, sure, if you put Giannis in the lineup Milwaukee gets much better. But you just put Ayton on Giannis and that will limit him about as well as you can hope for. There's our "Giannis stopper," or as close as you can get to having one. He's shot quite poorly vs Ayton in recent regular season matchups.

Bench - Payne/Johnson/Saric/Craig vs Portis/Teague/Forbes/T.Antetokounmpo - I think we win the bench battle easily. Bucks have pretty poor depth outside of their top 5-6 guys. We go 8-9 deep with guys you can actually play in a playoff game.

I really feel like this is a 4 or 5 game series. Am I looking at it wrong? Am I overconfident?

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 am
Am I crazy for being completely confident that we are going to beat the Bucks in this series? I just look at their team and feel strongly that we are better.

SF - Middleton vs Bridges - Middleton is the much better offensive player, but Bridges is an all-NBA worthy defender and will slow him down.
PF - Tucker vs Crowder - Our rugged veteran 3&D PF is younger and shooting much better than theirs.
C - Lopez vs Ayton - Ayton will shut down any Lopez inside game and can also somewhat bother his outside shooting as needed.

Now, sure, if you put Giannis in the lineup Milwaukee gets much better. But you just put Ayton on Giannis and that will limit him about as well as you can hope for. There's our "Giannis stopper," or as close as you can get to having one. He's shot quite poorly vs Ayton in recent regular season matchups.

Bench - Payne/Johnson/Saric/Craig vs Portis/Teague/Forbes/T.Antetokounmpo - I think we win the bench battle easily. Bucks have pretty poor depth outside of their top 5-6 guys. We go 8-9 deep with guys you can actually play in a playoff game.

I really feel like this is a 4 or 5 game series. Am I looking at it wrong? Am I overconfident?
This isn’t a very competitive series without Giannis. But would it be without CP3? So that changes a lot. If you throw Giannis in there. Then they’re going to be able to guard us pretty well. But you’re right about the depth. Payne, Cam Johnson, Craig, Saric is way better than Forbes, Cannaughton, Portis, Teague. We’re going to have to win those minutes. Also, not a fan of the schedule. Too many days off in between. I haven’t cared about the finals in so long? Has it always been like this? Seems fishy to me. But I guess they’re accounting for the cross country travel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Gladiator wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:37 am
Let's go Suns! It would be great to set a tone early with a convincing win in Game 1. It's going to be so nerve-wracking this Finals series, and hopefully so much fun.
Man...The Suns had better win Game 1 after I fly out there and already spent a small fortune on tickets! Nah, I feel good about it. I can't wait to be awash in my fellow Suns fans at a fevered pitch!

LET'S DO THIS!!!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:15 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 am

This isn’t a very competitive series without Giannis. But would it be without CP3? So that changes a lot. If you throw Giannis in there. Then they’re going to be able to guard us pretty well. But you’re right about the depth. Payne, Cam Johnson, Craig, Saric is way better than Forbes, Cannaughton, Portis, Teague. We’re going to have to win those minutes. Also, not a fan of the schedule. Too many days off in between. I haven’t cared about the finals in so long? Has it always been like this? Seems fishy to me. But I guess they’re accounting for the cross country travel.
Yes, they've always stretched out the Finals. I'm just glad they got rid of the 2-3-2 format.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:32 pm
Okay, Espo, we know you're here lurking!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:15 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:32 pm
Okay, Espo, we know you're here lurking!

Well, I said it too before I saw yours. So...
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Three people cannot think of the same cliched sports slogan! That's unpossible!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

I do not think the Bucks are better than the team the Suns just dispatched, Clippers play defense better, have a much better coach, and they play much more aggressively. I know anything can happen, but I just don't see how the Suns don't the Bucks fairly easily, especially if Giannis is out.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Complete speculation, but I think Giannis will be out for game one and the Bucks will try to spread the floor offensively like they did against the Hawks.

I'm honestly a bit more worried about the Bucks without Giannis because they have two games of momentum without him, and if/when he does come back, there will be an adjustment period for them offensively.

My gut is telling me Giannis is out for game one. If the Suns win game one convincingly, he'll play in game 2. If game one is a close Suns win or a Bucks win, he'll sit out game 2.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.