GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 2 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS THURSDAY, 7/8/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 2 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS THURSDAY, 7/8/2021

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:51 am
Monty's "storm of aggression" description of the Bucks and our 2nd qtr defense stepping up is all pretty accurate. The Bucks were attacking every play, leading to offensive rebounds and extra possessions in the 1st qtr. If they could maintain that for 48 minutes, they'd be a different team. But they went away from it, Giannis started ISOing and no one else could find a rhythm for them.

We really have a pretty complete, pick-your-poison type of team. Help in the midrange/paint and risk letting Jae, Mikal, Cam knock down 3s. Stay out on shooters, CP and Book can work the midrange. Cover the 3 and midrange and DA is open at the rim. Just tough to guard everything.
Let’s be honest. Ain’t nothing they can do to stop us.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: GAME DAY, NBA FINALS EDITION — GAME 2 — MILWAUKEE BUCKS @ PHOENIX SUNS THURSDAY, 7/8/2021

Post by Mori Chu »

Thrilled we got a win, of course. But after a night to reflect on the game, I think the Suns should be careful not to get too cocky or complacent. We shot 50% on 3s, and the Bucks generally had nobody show up other than Giannis. I don't think either of those things is likely to happen in Game 3 or 4. If Giannis had just had a little more help, like a big Middleton game or whatever, or if we had just hit a normal earthly amount of 3s, that could easily have been a loss for us. And I don't think we really have a way of stopping Giannis. Ayton and Crowder try their best, but Giannis could basically get to the rim every single time for a high-percentage shot. I also think Holiday did a pretty good job hounding Paul full court as he tried to bring the ball up; the Clips were gerat at that, and it took us out of our offense and made us shoot a bunch of bad contested 3s late in the shot clock.

I hope the guys don't think they can just show up for Game 3 and it'll all work out fine. The role players on the Bucks will likely have a big confidence boost from their home crowd, and Giannis looked a lot better in Game 2 than Game 1; he may again look even better in Game 3 after a few more days' rest.

I think Game 3 is the Bucks' best chance to turn the series around in their favor. It will be really hard to get that win, knowing that they'll properly treat it as if it were an elimination game while we may have the tendency to be complacent.

My wild guess at this point would be Suns in 5 (lose Game 3, win 4, then take it at home in Game 5), but who knows.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 am
Thrilled we got a win, of course. But after a night to reflect on the game, I think the Suns should be careful not to get too cocky or complacent. We shot 50% on 3s, and the Bucks generally had nobody show up other than Giannis. I don't think either of those things is likely to happen in Game 3 or 4. If Giannis had just had a little more help, like a big Middleton game or whatever, or if we had just hit a normal earthly amount of 3s, that could easily have been a loss for us. And I don't think we really have a way of stopping Giannis. Ayton and Crowder try their best, but Giannis could basically get to the rim every single time for a high-percentage shot. I also think Holiday did a pretty good job hounding Paul full court as he tried to bring the ball up; the Clips were gerat at that, and it took us out of our offense and made us shoot a bunch of bad contested 3s late in the shot clock.

I hope the guys don't think they can just show up for Game 3 and it'll all work out fine. The role players on the Bucks will likely have a big confidence boost from their home crowd, and Giannis looked a lot better in Game 2 than Game 1; he may again look even better in Game 3 after a few more days' rest.

I think Game 3 is the Bucks' best chance to turn the series around in their favor. It will be really hard to get that win, knowing that they'll properly treat it as if it were an elimination game while we may have the tendency to be complacent.

My wild guess at this point would be Suns in 5 (lose Game 3, win 4, then take it at home in Game 5), but who knows.
I have zero concern about these points. Have you watched the post game press conferences? Crowder says we’re at 0-0 going into Game 3. Monty Williams will just not let this team be “happy on the farm.” These guys are cold stone killers.
"Be Legendary."

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:08 pm
Here's my transcript of Monty's speech:

"Look, this, this is the deal. One: you're getting back in transition, you don't have Giannis, find a man, and be a guard. Two, look at me, you set a high level for yourself. That's why you're down. That's great. And now go reach that level. Okay? And you can reach it with force. It doesn't have to be stats all the time. Go dominate the game with force. Okay? Because you've set a high level for yourself. Go dominate the game with force. Let's go."

As Monty always says that he tells his guys: "I'm not calling you out, I'm calling you up."
Incredible. In one 30 sec speech, Monty provides reassurance, holds him accountable, inspires him to be better, and gives him specific guidance. And Ayton came alive immediately, dominating the final minutes with force.

World class coaching clinic by Monty.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Book’s 12-25 overall and 7-12 from three is even more impressive by the fact that he started out the game 1 of 6!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:34 pm
I wish the fans would chant the count on that first free throw, and when he misses, stop chanting on the second to throw him off.
I was hoping we could have made it a count down, and actually count in seconds. But bending 18,000 screaming fans to your will is not a skill I have.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:07 pm
Giannis doesn't exactly sound like he's convinced he's going to win ..

That video makes me think Suns in 3 is possible.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:49 am

Bullshit. You can't tell me that's not Frank.
David (@TheIVPointPlay) is amazing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Suns_Dave wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:22 am
JeremyG wrote:

"Look, this, this is the deal. One: you're getting back in transition, you don't have Giannis, find a man, and be a guard. Two, look at me, you set a high level for yourself. That's why you're down. That's great. And now go reach that level. Okay? And you can reach it with force. It doesn't have to be stats all the time. Go dominate the game with force. Okay? Because you've set a high level for yourself. Go dominate the game with force. Let's go."

As Monty always says that he tells his guys: "I'm not calling you out, I'm calling you up."
Incredible. In one 30 sec speech, Monty provides reassurance, holds him accountable, inspires him to be better, and gives him specific guidance. And Ayton came alive immediately, dominating the final minutes with force.

World class parenting clinic, too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The comments on that coaching clinic YouTube video are hilarious.

“Meanwhile, Coach Bud is yelling, ‘play random!’”

Which I did hear too. :lol:
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This made me laugh plus I think it shows that the guys are far from getting Too Happy on the Farm ☺️✌️👍

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Suns_Dave wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:22 am
JeremyG wrote:

We may literally be able to look back on this as the championship-clinching moment.

By the way, I think the speech was during the previous timeout (end of the third quarter), not at 7:41 left in the 4th. I'm pretty sure that's how they usually do the "Wired" segments. I don't think they would have had enough time to get that played on TV coming out of the timeout, since it appears to take place right at the end of the timeout. Also, it appears from the clip that Cam Johnson was in the game before and after the timeout, which would also place it at the end of the third. And Ayton had just played great the previous two possessions before the 7:41 timeout.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:42 am
The comments on that coaching clinic YouTube video are hilarious.

“Meanwhile, Coach Bud is yelling, ‘play random!’”

Which I did hear too. :lol:
Yes, when I heard Bud say that before the game, I knew the Bucks were going to lose.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:47 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:51 am
Monty's "storm of aggression" description of the Bucks and our 2nd qtr defense stepping up is all pretty accurate. The Bucks were attacking every play, leading to offensive rebounds and extra possessions in the 1st qtr. If they could maintain that for 48 minutes, they'd be a different team. But they went away from it, Giannis started ISOing and no one else could find a rhythm for them.

We really have a pretty complete, pick-your-poison type of team. Help in the midrange/paint and risk letting Jae, Mikal, Cam knock down 3s. Stay out on shooters, CP and Book can work the midrange. Cover the 3 and midrange and DA is open at the rim. Just tough to guard everything.
Let’s be honest. Ain’t nothing they can do to stop us.
We have too many weapons. The poor bucks don't have a chance. I felt like the clippers were more competitive than the bucks

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Giannis is healthy and playing great. Beating them with their best player kicking ass. No excuses about injuries.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

pickle wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:59 pm
Heart warming.

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't enough times that I love this team.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:16 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 am

I have zero concern about these points. Have you watched the post game press conferences? Crowder says we’re at 0-0 going into Game 3. Monty Williams will just not let this team be “happy on the farm.” These guys are cold stone killers.
But I like I Coldstone. I kill it every time I go there

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:49 am
This made me laugh plus I think it shows that the guys are far from getting Too Happy on the Farm ☺️✌️👍

This reply to that tweet was awesome: