Game Day: NBA Finals Edition — Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Tuesday 7/20/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: Game Day: NBA Finals Edition — Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Tuesday 7/20/2021

Post by virtual9mm »

Weaknesses on the Suns are glaring:

- Booker is a spectacular #2 on a title team but not quite a #1 yet

- Ayton remains an incomplete player that needs to learn how to score in the post against the likes of Bobby Portis. Confidence will come with time and repetitions.

- Is CP3 too old to make a title run? His injuries cost the Suns the series.

- All the role players except Crowder just weren't ready yet. Next year, they will be.

Can the Suns make it back next year? I doubt it, this looks too much like the Orlando Magic that one year and players like Nick Anderson being demoralized. But I would love to see them proving me wrong.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day: NBA Finals Edition — Game 6 — Phoenix Suns @ Milwaukee Bucks, Tuesday 7/20/2021

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I hate these award celebrations. No one wants to hear from a bunch of old white guys who just sign the checks.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I suspect that Booker and Ayton will earn a chip in the twilight of their careers, maybe it will take them ten years to make it back.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:45 pm
I'm happy for the Bucks players. There isn't anyone on their roster that I dislike.

Bucks fans, on the other hand, they can fuck off.
We Suns fans earned it after glorifying Suns in 4 guy.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:44 pm
Those refs were fucking garbage. Fuck the NBA. Giannis had more FTs than our entire fucking team. What a scam job. Fuck the NBA.
This happened in more than one game and it’s not that we played bad defense on him. We played really really good defense in him but the refs won’t allow anyone to match his physicality and just give him bail out after bail out whistle.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:52 pm
Can the Suns make it back next year? I doubt it, this looks too much like the Orlando Magic that one year and players like Nick Anderson being demoralized. But I would love to see them proving me wrong.
The hardest thing to do in professional sports is rebound from a loss in the championship game/series.

Coming off a crushing defeat and star players either injured or not getting much offseason rest, I'm worried about this team in 2021-22.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

We stopped playing Suns basketball after game 3. It's just that.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:55 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:45 pm
I'm happy for the Bucks players. There isn't anyone on their roster that I dislike.

Bucks fans, on the other hand, they can fuck off.
We Suns fans earned it after glorifying Suns in 4 guy.
Yes, that whole situation didn't sit right with me.
Last edited by The Bobster on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

phatmike

Post by phatmike »

The thing I look forward to seeing is how DA responds to this. For the most part of his admittedly young career, he has been just happy to be there and kinda aloof. He has taken great strides there during this run, and more importantly, I see the frustration/sadness/anger on his face for really the first time. Will that turn him into something great, or will it hold him back?

To be continued...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I really like Giannis. He's such a great role model for everyone, not just basketball players.

If I had to pick a non-Suns team to win this year, it would've been the Bucks.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:56 pm
Milwaukee had a lot to do with it though. They came back with four good efforts after losing the first two, and the Suns' effort-level wasn't there in game three and that opened the door for a couple of losses that they could have won.

But the Bucks earned it. The playoffs are about taking advantage of mismatches, and they did that a lot more than the Suns did.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:59 pm
I really like Giannis. He's such a great role model for everyone, not just basketball players.

If I had to pick a non-Suns team to win this year, it would've been the Bucks.
I think I agree with this.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

phatmike wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm
The thing I look forward to seeing is how DA responds to this. For the most part of his admittedly young career, he has been just happy to be there and kinda aloof. He has taken great strides there during this run, and more importantly, I see the frustration/sadness/anger on his face for really the first time. Will that turn him into something great, or will it hold him back?

To be continued...
Yeah, he goes from almost posting a 20/20 game to...well...not that.

I agree with FF, I hope they can bounce back, but damn it is so hard in the NBA to ever get this far. Especially in the super team era.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I was exhausted 3 weeks ago in the middle of the WCF. I can't even imagine how the players feel.

I don't think I have to worry about with anyone here, but if you know anyone who likes to get on social media, please remind them not to be assholes to the players.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Milwaukee had a lot to do with it though. They came back with four good efforts after losing the first two, and the Suns' effort-level wasn't there in game three and that opened the door for a couple of losses that they could have won.

But the Bucks earned it. The playoffs are about taking advantage of mismatches, and they did that a lot more than the Suns did.
I don't think it was a lack of effort. The effort was there, but if you're effort is trying to build a house with a screwdriver, you won't get it done.
They made us get into bad habits, trying too much 1 on 1, trying to match the physicality, wich we're clearly not build for.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The Bobster wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:

In the end, the Bucks deserved it more than the Suns.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
The hardest thing to do in professional sports is rebound from a loss in the championship game/series.

Coming off a crushing defeat and star players either injured or not getting much offseason rest, I'm worried about this team in 2021-22.
Exactly this.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

The Bobster wrote:
Milwaukee was just a bad matchup for them.

You didn't want Ayton to have to try to guard Giannis the entire game, but that's what it basically came down to because of need. Anybody else they tried didn't work and Ayton couldn't do much with him either.
How much of this was Giannis (and I do respect his talent), and how much of it was officiating?

Either way, props to him for making his FTs tonight.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
phatmike wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm

To be continued...
Yeah, he goes from almost posting a 20/20 game to...well...not that.

I agree with FF, I hope they can bounce back, but damn it is so hard in the NBA to ever get this far. Especially in the super team era.
I suspect that we will see a different Ayton in the years to come. Being dominated by someone who for once has superior athletic talents might motivate him to achieve true greatness. If he could learn to score one on one in the post, there will be no stopping him.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:09 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Milwaukee was just a bad matchup for them.

You didn't want Ayton to have to try to guard Giannis the entire game, but that's what it basically came down to because of need. Anybody else they tried didn't work and Ayton couldn't do much with him either.
How much of this was Giannis (and I do respect his talent), and how much of it was officiating?

Either way, props to him for making his FTs tonight.
I thought the Suns should have had Ayton guard Giannis one on one until Ayton fouled out.