The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:24 pm
I'd love to have Robin Lopez back.
I think he’d bring a very solid 12 minutes off the bench against bigger teams when Suns need to eat up the glass and protect the paint. He also would create shots for our guys setting mean picks. Plus he’s cheap and offset what we were missing in the playoffs.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Anyone not entirely sold on re-signing Cam Payne?
The bennies are obvious here of bringing him back-
Chemistry, building on his success here, solid scorer, creates for himself, energy guy.

But part of me just wants someone who is more of a borderline starter, a vet, more explosive scorer. I worry that now that teams know him, he won’t get to the cup like he used to. Our guards were taken down a notch by the more physical Clippers and Bucks. I just think we could use an upgrade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:44 am
Chemistry, building on his success here, solid scorer, creates for himself, energy guy.

But part of me just wants someone who is more of a borderline starter, a vet, more explosive scorer. I worry that now that teams know him, he won’t get to the cup like he used to. Our guards were taken down a notch by the more physical Clippers and Bucks. I just think we could use an upgrade.
I don’t think we have the ability, cap-wise, to upgrade him. If he walks we don’t have many options. We’d have the MLE to replace him and then we couldn’t use the MLE on other needs. I think he should be a top priority…I think if we give him 3/25 we should lock him up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is there any chance Cleveland would do Nance for Saric and 29?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:51 am

It seems so.

Here’s what I’m hoping for:

Saric and 29 for Nance. Re-sign Payne. Use exceptions(MLE, BAE) to bring in Noel and Burks.

Paul/Payne
Booker/Burks
Bridges/Johnson
Crowder/Nance
Ayton/Noel

I’d be pretty happy with that roster.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Only problem I have with Nance is his rebounding (per 36) has been dropping off a cliff the last few years (12.1 in 2018 to 7.8 last season). If we're gonna have another undersized PF, he at least needs to be a great rebounder.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:22 am
Only problem I have with Nance is his rebounding (per 36) has been dropping off a cliff the last few years (12.1 in 2018 to 7.8 last season). If we're gonna have another undersized PF, he at least needs to be a great rebounder.
I think adding Drummond and Jarrett Allen the last two years probably impacted that a lot. Also the offensive rebound rate dropped more than defensive because he started shooting 3s. I’m not too worried about the rebounding.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:37 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:22 am
I think adding Drummond and Jarrett Allen the last two years probably impacted that a lot. Also the offensive rebound rate dropped more than defensive because he started shooting 3s. I’m not too worried about the rebounding.
Yeah his defensive rebounding percentage has been consistently over 20% the last several years. It did drop last year to 19%, but not a huge drop considering his reduced minutes and games.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Would it be possible to just trade the pick without Saric? Seems like Cleveland wants to get rid of salary and maybe if they just take a pick back, that would be enough to entice them. But I think Nance would see a resurgence here, and not just because of his father's history.

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 pm
Split T wrote:
Would it be possible to just trade the pick without Saric? Seems like Cleveland wants to get rid of salary and maybe if they just take a pick back, that would be enough to entice them. But I think Nance would see a resurgence here, and not just because of his father's history.
No we have to match salary. Could send out Carter/Smith instead of Saric

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:19 am
Split T wrote:

It seems so.

Here’s what I’m hoping for:

Saric and 29 for Nance. Re-sign Payne. Use exceptions(MLE, BAE) to bring in Noel and Burks.

Paul/Payne
Booker/Burks
Bridges/Johnson
Crowder/Nance
Ayton/Noel

I’d be pretty happy with that roster.
Uh yeah let’s do this shit

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Drewsprocket wrote:

I don’t think the solution here is to not re-sign Payne. It’s to get rid of Carter and his charity contract and bring in a vet on the cheap that can contribute.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:

I don’t think the solution here is to not re-sign Payne. It’s to get rid of Carter and his charity contract and bring in a vet on the cheap that can contribute.
Carter's contract is ~half the MLE (4M). I am not sure that gets anywhere close to a "vet that is a borderline starter and explosive scorer that won't be taken down a notch or two against the Clippers or Bucks."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Sarver was on Burns and Gambo and it didn't sound very optimistic for keeping CP3.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think he's being coy.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Is he even allowed to say "yeah we reach Paul and he will be a sun for the next 3 years" ?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know what he can comment on but in listening to it he comes off as real nonchalant and doesn't know what Paul will do with the option. Didn't think Paul would decline it when he first got traded here, now he doesn't know. Didn't seem put off by any extension talk should Paul opt out and look for more years.

I'd like to think Paul, Jones and even Book have an idea what's going to happen and things will go smoothly.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

"Things are going to go surprisingly great!"

Split T

Post by Split T »

I feel very confident that Paul will be here…and on the off chance that he’s not, I actually feel pretty good about where we’d be if he left. No we wouldn’t be championship contenders, but we’d have young up and coming players with finals experience, Monty Williams, and like 30 million in cap space or the opportunity to sign and trade him for a player under contract.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:26 pm
I feel very confident that Paul will be here…and on the off chance that he’s not, I actually feel pretty good about where we’d be if he left. No we wouldn’t be championship contenders, but we’d have young up and coming players with finals experience, Monty Williams, and like 30 million in cap space or the opportunity to sign and trade him for a player under contract.
I do think he’ll resign. However, if he didn’t because of money, while I think we’re ok from a roster-building standpoint I think it would be a significant blow to our reputation and relationship with Booker.