The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wormwood

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Wormwood »

Suns look like they're just about done for the offseason. They have 11 contracts now.

PGs: CP3 Payne
SGs: Booker Shamet
SFs: Bridges Nader
PFs: Crowder Johnson
Cs: Ayton McGee J. Smith

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:32 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:09 am
carey wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:53 am
Mills to LAL breaks my heart. I was hoping I could stop rooting against him.
I can’t find the link to article I read. I think i was duped! Maybe there’s a chance?! I kinda doubt he wants to be here given what happened to Galloway and Moore in the rotation.
Ya I don’t think Mills has signed yet, don’t think we can get him though
Brooklyn.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/319 ... agents-say

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wormwood wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:20 pm
Suns look like they're just about done for the offseason. They have 11 contracts now.

PGs: CP3 Payne
SGs: Booker Shamet
SFs: Bridges Nader
PFs: Crowder Johnson
Cs: Ayton McGee J. Smith
Yea that looks about right. I do think we'll try to sign a bigger swing 4 but the minutes will be tough to come by.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There's gotta be more coming. We traded Carter, Craig and Saric for Shamet and McGee. Not enough.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I was wrong last time when I thought it was Zeller, so I’m probably wrong again, but I do think it’s gonna be Millsap.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Signing McGee to half the mid-level really hurts our ability to get a good piece.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 pm
THT would absolutely be great for the Suns bench, but the more I think about it, James Jones might be trying to Jedi mind trick the Lakers.

THT has value, but he hasn't really had a role on the Lakers since LeBron arrived. So getting them to overpay to keep him hurts their ability to sign other guys who fill their other roster holes.
You mean like this?

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

PHOENIX SUNS

For a team who just made the NBA Finals, the Suns have kicked off their 2021 offseason with a bang. On draft night, the Suns acquired shooting guard Landry Shamet from the Nets, who fits perfectly off the bench within head coach Monty Williams’ “0.5 offense” scheme. Shamet’s three-point marksmanship helps form a deadly bench duo alongside Cameron Johnson, as snipers who can hunt for easy deep shots relentlessly.

That wasn’t all for Phoenix, as they landed the best bargain deal on Day 1 of free agency. Backup point guard Cameron Payne returned to the Suns on a three-year, $19 million deal. Compared to other depth-guard signings, Payne seems to have given Phoenix a loyalty discount since they were the team that saved his NBA career. Payne’s shot-creation ability off the bench is a huge asset for the Suns, and his further developing offensive profile is a massive spark plug that Phoenix couldn’t let walk away.

Chris Paul also returned to Phoenix (as expected) soon after free agency opened, agreeing to a four-year, $120 million contract. However, Paul and the Suns created some flexibility down the line; the third year is partially guaranteed, while the final year is non-guaranteed. This is a win-win scenario for Paul and the Suns, who are ready to run it back with the future Hall-of-Fame point guard.

Following Dario Saric’s torn ACL in Game 1 of the NBA Finals, adding a backup center became Phoenix’s top priority outside of retaining their own free agents. The Suns needed to add size, length and athleticism behind Deandre Ayton. Enter JaVale McGee, who joins the Suns on a one-year, $5 million contract. McGee’s veteran presence will help Ayton, but also add a new twist to the Suns’ second unit.

The Suns just made the NBA Finals and subsequently improved their roster. Watch out for Phoenix to stay atop the Western Conference next season.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm
Signing McGee to half the mid-level really hurts our ability to get a good piece.
Yeah, you would think we could have gotten him for the BAE.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Or Dario’s DPE.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Or Dario’s DPE.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they don't know if they'll get the DPE yet.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's the rule for DPE:

"This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician or Fitness to Play panel that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15."

So do we think Dario is out all of next year?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's hard to say. June 15th, 2022 is exactly 11 months from when he injured his knee. I think the Suns will wait to see how he progresses throughout the season and evaluate if it's better to bring him back for the playoffs or pick up someone like they did with Torrey Craig. That'll be when they use the DPE space.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I am slightly concerned that we are content with adding McGee and re-signing Paul and Payne (al good moves btw) and aren’t looking to do anything else significant. I feel like we’re still one, maybe two, decent adds from being in the very upper tier in the west.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We need to use the rest of our MLE…at the very least to have a contract we can trade at the deadline.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Gladiator wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:21 pm
I am slightly concerned that we are content with adding McGee and re-signing Paul and Payne (al good moves btw) and aren’t looking to do anything else significant. I feel like we’re still one, maybe two, decent adds from being in the very upper tier in the west.
I'm expecting this. They spent on McGee to lock him in and will wait the market out to add anyone else on a minimum type of deal.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Hassan Whiteside signed with Utah. That's a good backup for Gobert.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Whiteside is terrible. It's good for everyone except Utah.