The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Uh oh. Why would they not give him the max, exactly? Are they that stupid?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I really don’t have a problem with not giving him the max yet. After his playoff performance I figured it was coming and had definitely come around on giving it to him, but I don’t think it’s harmful to make him wait until after this season to prove he’s a max guy. He spent a good portion of last season looking like a guy we’d need to move. He showed up when it mattered and that’s highly encouraging, but I’m fine keeping him hungry. He’s said multiple times he’s motivated to get that 2nd contract..maybe making him play in a contract year is a good thing.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

He's getting the max somewhere.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:34 am
He's getting the max somewhere.
Sure, but he can only sign a max this year in Phoenix and the max somewhere else is also less than the max here, so matching that contract next summer is cheaper.

Also, this is clearly being leaked from Ayton’s camp to make the Suns look bad and put some pressure on them. I’d guess the Suns want to give him the max with no escalating clauses for all-nba finish and Ayton is trying to get those included.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Wtf. Ayton is a max player based on the market. The fuck are they doing heading into another title run this year? Book isn’t gonna stay for this if we have a year full of resentment and entitlement. This is Sarver flexing at his players. I can’t imagine James Jones being so foolish.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:44 am
Wtf. Ayton is a max player based on the market. The fuck are they doing heading into another title run this year? Book isn’t gonna stay for this if we have a year full of resentment and entitlement. This is Sarver flexing at his players. I can’t imagine James Jones being so foolish.
I don’t think it’ll be an issue. Ayton doesn’t seem the type to cause problems because of his contract. If anything I’d be worried he’d lose confidence and go into his shell that we’ve seen at times. But after watching him last postseason I think he’ll be fine. I also trust Monty a lot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think it's Sarver this time. I think Jones and Monty (and maybe CP and Book) know DA isn't a true max type of player. I think there's still a question of "want" and maturity surrounding him. And are we giving him the max because others got the max and that's the "market", or are we giving him the max because we really believe he's an impact player we can trust with the future of this team once this current window closes? How much pushing and prodding did it take from Monty, CP, Book, etc to bring out last season's play in DA? And can DA not only maintain that level of play and commitment, but also keep getting better?

I don't think another season of play will do much convincing tbh. He's not KAT, AD, Embiid, Giannis in terms of skill. He won't become them over the course of this season. Is he worth the max to another team?

Now the other question becomes: if we're playing some hardball with DA, can we assume we're not coming close to 25mil for Mikal?

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

I have to say it guys. If it happens I would be happy to part with Ayton. Won't miss him too much. He can get his max contract elsewhere.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Drewsprocket wrote:
What if Booker is part of the brain trust that is reluctant to give Ayton the max? What if Sarver wants to max the guy to avoid criticism and Jones is the one preaching caution?

We can speculate both ways.

The market is talking, agreed, but a the team capable to negotiate deals under market value (Suns already did it with Paul) without burning the relationship, is more successful on the long run. Think Spurs here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Democritus wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:34 am
I have to say it guys. If it happens I would be happy to part with Ayton. Won't miss him too much. He can get his max contract elsewhere.
Can’t just let him go though. I used to be all for trading him, but at this point I’m only moving him for a guy like KAT

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think he has a good chance to make the All-NBA team because there just aren't 3 amazing centers that don't have injury history that will clearly finish ahead of him. It isn't like the wing position or PG. So I can see the reluctance to give him all the escalations. And I can see Jones and Sarver having a philosophical opposition to paying him more per year than CP3 and Booker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is Ayton wanting 5 years with full escalators. Honestly no reason for the Suns to do that. They can give him that deal next summer. No other team can give him that. Ayton will get a version of the max, but does anyone think he’s actually worth the max max? He’s the 3rd best player on the team and spent most of the season as 4th best. He needs to prove it for a full year if I’m giving him that deal. And it’s not just about him playing like he did in the post season all year. He needs to become a force on offense. He needs to be an option that can create offense for himself and others. He’s not shown anything close to that. I thought the jazz were stupid to give Rudy 40 million a year, this is similar.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Look, I was out on Ayton prior to Paul coming here. But dude took out the MVP last year in the playoffs by outworking him on both ends of the court. Say what you want about the Spurs, the difference is they actually won Finals and had the respect of the entire league going into their negotiations. We’re just starting to earn some respect back with the league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:58 am
Look, I was out on Ayton prior to Paul coming here. But dude took out the MVP last year in the playoffs by outworking him on both ends of the court. Say what you want about the Spurs, the difference is they actually won Finals and had the respect of the entire league going into their negotiations. We’re just starting to earn some respect back with the league.
And look how much Michael Porter Jr. got for just playing one end of the court with an iffy back.

This is the going rate nowadays for good, young players.
Last edited by The Bobster on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:38 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
What if Booker is part of the brain trust that is reluctant to give Ayton the max? What if Sarver wants to max the guy to avoid criticism and Jones is the one preaching caution?

We can speculate both ways.

The market is talking, agreed, but a the team capable to negotiate deals under market value (Suns already did it with Paul) without burning the relationship, is more successful on the long run. Think Spurs here.
If they're consulting Booker on what they should offer his teammates in contract negotiations that would be all kinds of wrong.

No matter what level this decision is being made at it has to be owned by Sarver because it's a massively important decision for the future of the franchise, and people are going to hold him responsible even if he's not the one making the offer.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Biggest risk in this situations is Ayton going into RFA and then signing a 3-year max deal with a player option after 2.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

That Woj piece was ghost-written by Ayton’s agent, by the way.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:14 am
That Woj piece was ghost-written by Ayton’s agent, by the way.
Absolutely. It was plain as day.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it may have been smart to wait until training camp to offer Ayton his extension, to make sure he'd show up in great shape. But at this point I think you just give him the max contract. He's earned it with his awesome play in last year's Finals run, and he would absolutely make the max in the NBA market. I get that he's an imperfect player, but he's already one of the top 2-3 centers in the league, and many teams would be ecstatic to max him and take him off our hands. I don't love the way the NBA's economics work, but Ayton has proven that he is worth a max contract. So just pay the man and don't send him into the season unhappy. I don't want distracting bullshit like that getting in the way of us having a great season.