The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by JeremyG »

I don't think Mikal was mumbling. I was able to transcribe basically every word. Here is what he said:
"Like I said, we’re human beings, and when stuff like this comes up, it’s, it’s kind of, you can’t just push it to the side. But like I said, I told coach Mont this today and like them guys, Coach Monty and my teammates and everybody on that staff and in the training room, and everybody man, chefs, like, I don’t, they don’t make me think about it as much man. You'd think I’ll come here every single day, and you know, know I’m in this Suns arena, facility, and think about you know, James and Sarver and everything man, but these guys [motioning to the team/coaches] they keep me, they keep me down, my family at home, my mom, you know they keep the pressure off me to not even think about it as much. I just go out here and just have fun. You know laugh it up and try to get better every day."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Easily, as in every 15 years?

Again, it requires maturity on both sides, not just the FO. And is unsustainable to hand out contracts on fear to displease a player.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:21 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:33 pm
Do they have to say it on every clip for you to keep your cool?

Dude, chill out, is just negotiations.
Yeah, it's "just negotations" like it was "just negotiations" with Joe Johnson, too.

He literally said he needs the coaches, staff, and teammates to help him not think about Jones and Sarver when he comes into the arena. Does that sound like healthy relations to you? :lol:
It is a contract negotiation. It isn't supposed to be easy.

That being said, I hope that they can keep things cordial.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It sure was easy for a bunch of other teams with players from the 2018 draft class.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

It's easier to give the max to your #1 option, like Young or Doncic. Just like it was easier to give Booker his contract.
It becomes more complex when you have to pay your #3, #4 and keep some flexibility.
Some contracts will haunt teams sooner than later.

We don't want another Joe Johnson for sure. Do we want another Bledsoe?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I was impressed with Randle. He’s very composed on the floor. Looks like he belongs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Suns sign Bridges:

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:59 am
Suns sign Bridges:

Will come out to about 22.5M per, which is right in line with what most of us expected. No fifth year, as this is not permissible outside of the rookie scale max extension.

Great deal for both sides, so long as Mikal continues to ascend along his current development curve.

I’m relieved to get this done. Now lock up DA before tomorrow night and let’s get to work!

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

22 mil per seems spot on.

Let’s see if they do tie up DA to a reasonable amount before tomorrow as well.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Just need Ayton to resign, keep the core together.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From the Woj article on Bridges' extension:
The deadline for the 2018 draft class to complete rookie extensions is 6 p.m. ET Monday. The Suns have also discussed deals with center Deandre Ayton and guard Landry Shamet, sources said.
Not sure what a deal would look like for Shamet but I think he's another guy who would take a little less to be part of the core going forward.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shamet would be interesting…I do wonder what we could get him for, but I bet he opts for free agency…though I guess he’d be restricted.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Would love to sign Shamet. He looks like a real steal so far. But I wonder what that would do for our ability to retain Cam Johnson when the time comes. I think keeping Cam long term is super important.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I feel like Shamet could get a 4 yr $30-40mil deal while Cam gets 4yrs $70-75? Both are kind of hard to gauge because Shamet is a borderline starter who'll be coming off the bench for us and also hasn't really solidified himself in the league just yet. He could bet on himself breaking out in a bench role and try and get a bigger offer next summer. I think Orlando, SA and Detroit have cap space next offseason as of now.

Cam could be a starter for us but is playing behind Jae. He could be a guy a team with capspace (Detroit, Orlando, SA) targets next year if he wanted to test the RFA waters.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:24 pm
I feel like Shamet could get a 4 yr $30-40mil deal while Cam gets 4yrs $70-75? Both are kind of hard to gauge because Shamet is a borderline starter who'll be coming off the bench for us and also hasn't really solidified himself in the league just yet. He could bet on himself breaking out in a bench role and try and get a bigger offer next summer. I think Orlando, SA and Detroit have cap space next offseason as of now.

Cam could be a starter for us but is playing behind Jae. He could be a guy a team with capspace (Detroit, Orlando, SA) targets next year if he wanted to test the RFA waters.
The carrot for Cam would be the promise of a starting PF job once Jae starts to recede, which would presumably be in the next couple of years.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:18 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:24 pm

The carrot for Cam would be the promise of a starting PF job once Jae starts to recede, which would presumably be in the next couple of years.
I think Cam will be the ideal starter by the end of this season, but it might not happen that early due to Crowder's seniority and the Suns trying to get the most out of his time on the court.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I see Cam blowing up this year reckon he’ll be expensive next year

pickle

Post by pickle »

Cam isn't up for an extension... why are we talking like the front office is delaying his extension?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

pickle wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:23 pm
Cam isn't up for an extension... why are we talking like the front office is delaying his extension?
No, we aren't delaying his extension. You're right that it will be next year. My original post about Cam was saying that I hope we can re-sign him in a year because I think he's a big part of our future.