USA Basketball Tokyo Olympics

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: USA Basketball Tokyo Olympics

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 pm

"I didn't think Kevin Love was going to play. I wasn't even sure he had much left to play," Colangelo said. "He reached out to us and said he was in shape and said he felt he owed us. And on the basis of that, we're looking at someone with international experience who at one time was a heck of a rebounder and could still shoot the ball. You know, being like a 12th man on a roster.

"Well, it didn't work out. He wasn't in shape. And he was way behind as it turned out. So you move on. Call it a mistake. Call it giving someone an opportunity. Someone who had equity with us."
Jerry probably should've kept his mouth shut even if he's right. Stuff like this is not how they'll get guys to play for the program.
This is Jerry's last year with the program. So maybe he thinks it doesn't matter what he says.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:43 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 pm

"I didn't think Kevin Love was going to play. I wasn't even sure he had much left to play," Colangelo said. "He reached out to us and said he was in shape and said he felt he owed us. And on the basis of that, we're looking at someone with international experience who at one time was a heck of a rebounder and could still shoot the ball. You know, being like a 12th man on a roster.

"Well, it didn't work out. He wasn't in shape. And he was way behind as it turned out. So you move on. Call it a mistake. Call it giving someone an opportunity. Someone who had equity with us."
Jerry probably should've kept his mouth shut even if he's right. Stuff like this is not how they'll get guys to play for the program.
This is Jerry's last year with the program. So maybe he thinks it doesn't matter what he says.
Nobody tells the Phoenix Godfather what he should do or say!
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Book having a rooouugh one
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

And picked up his 3rd as soon as second half started :?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I was with some friends for a birthday tonight so I only caught a few minutes of the third quarter on my phone. I guess I saw the only shot Booker made.

Glad to see Tatum get it going as I think he's crucial for this team to win gold.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm looking forward to Spain v. Slovenia matchup this evening. Really interested to see how a veteran team defends Doncic as the two other teams in their group (Argentina, Japan) aren't medal contenders.

This game is also important for quarterfinal matchups, as the Team USA essentially locked themselves into the first pool of teams along with the first place teams from each group.

Pool A:
France
Australia
Slovenia/Spain winner
USA

Pool B:
Italy
Slovenia/Spain loser
Germany
Argentina/Japan winner

It would be pretty interesting if Slovenia lost tonight and set up a possible quarterfinal with Team USA.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Booker had a rough game. Scored on, couldn’t score, picked up fouls. Sat on bench. It must be the head band.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Slovenia is a very resilient team. It's pretty incredible to see how much Doncic raises the level of everyone else. When he went out of the game in the second quarter due to foul trouble, Slovenia was still pretty composed and it looked like they weren't afraid of playing without him.

I think this Spanish team is too old to win gold. They took a nice lead in the third on some ridiculous shots by Rudy Fernandez, but they couldn't maintain it nor the defensive energy they played with in the first half.

Maybe France could give Slovenia some problems with their size, but I don't think they have the perimeter players to replicate the Spanish defensive tactics that mostly worked against Slovenia. Team USA can certainly replicate the defense, but they'll still have problems offensively if they can't find the hot hand on any given night.

It could still happen in the semi-final, but this win by Slovenia sets up a possible gold medal game between them and Team USA. That would catch a lot of eyeballs, I'm sure.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:42 am
Slovenia is a very resilient team. It's pretty incredible to see how much Doncic raises the level of everyone else. When he went out of the game in the second quarter due to foul trouble, Slovenia was still pretty composed and it looked like they weren't afraid of playing without him.

I think this Spanish team is too old to win gold. They took a nice lead in the third on some ridiculous shots by Rudy Fernandez, but they couldn't maintain it nor the defensive energy they played with in the first half.

Maybe France could give Slovenia some problems with their size, but I don't think they have the perimeter players to replicate the Spanish defensive tactics that mostly worked against Slovenia. Team USA can certainly replicate the defense, but they'll still have problems offensively if they can't find the hot hand on any given night.

It could still happen in the semi-final, but this win by Slovenia sets up a possible gold medal game between them and Team USA. That would catch a lot of eyeballs, I'm sure.
Ha
Just came to post about them.

This my 2nd time watching Slovenia and the others around Luka are really playing well. Those dudes can shoot and I was to big up Zoran who still doing his thing

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Quarterfinal draw has put Team USA up against Spain. I know I just said they look old, and they are, but they're still going to be a tough out due to their size advantage and defensive discipline. These teams played each other in the gold medal game in 2008 and 2012, and in the semifinal in 2016. I think it's going to be a dogfight of a game.

Winner of that game will then play the Australia/Argentina winner, which I believe will likely be Australia. The Boomers have been playing really well so far and I think they'd be a serious threat to oust Team USA in the semifinal.

We'll probably see a France/Slovenia semifinal on the other side of the bracket, which should be a good matchup.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Aug 3rd

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:38 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:16 am
It was cool seeing former Suns center Hamed Haddadi.

And Booker always misses the shot at the end of the quarter, just like for the Suns. :P

Seriously, though, I would love to see his percentage on those shots the last couple years.
zero. it is zero percent. no need to look it up!
I finally looked it up haha. Over the last two seasons (regular season and playoffs), when shooting with 7 seconds or less left in a quarter, Booker was 26-90 (28.9%). In the postseason, he was 4-18 (22.2%).

With 5 seconds or less, he was 21-76 (27.6%), and 4-16 in the playoffs (25%).

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:48 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

And Booker always misses the shot at the end of the quarter, just like for the Suns. :P

Seriously, though, I would love to see his percentage on those shots the last couple years.
I finally looked it up haha. Over the last two seasons (regular season and playoffs), when shooting with 7 seconds or less left in a quarter, Booker was 26-90 (28.9%). In the postseason, he was 4-18 (22.2%).

If you take out the 4th quarter/OT, what is it?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:50 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:48 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

If you take out the 4th quarter/OT, what is it?
7SOL: 4/15 playoffs (26.7%), 22/69 overall (31.9%)

5SOL: 4/15 playoffs (26.7%), 18/63 overall (28.6%)

Interestingly, the only OT one was on October 25, 2019: Devin Booker misses 2-pt layup from 3 ft (block by Torrey Craig) (PHO 107, DEN 108)

Indy

Post by Indy »

That is interesting. So he is even worse in the 4th quarter.

Now do his percentages on 2 for 1 shots...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You are cruel Indy. 😎

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:21 pm

With 27 to 34 seconds left in a quarter, he was 1/11 (9.1%) in the playoffs. Overall in the last two years, he was 18/68 (26.5%).

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am
Indy wrote:

With 27 to 34 seconds left in a quarter, he was 1/11 (9.1%) in the playoffs. Overall in the last two years, he was 18/68 (26.5%).
How are you finding this?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Cap wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:37 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:36 am
Indy wrote:

How are you finding this?
I'm using my Stathead subscription.