Summer League 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Summer League 2021

Post by djy2j »

Suns are shooting 9/45 after two full quarters of basketball and have recorded 27 points.

Jalen Smith has 2 of those 27.

I would also bet that that have as many missed layups and alley oops as they do made FGs. No joke
Last edited by djy2j on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

When I squint really hard, Jalen Smith's shadow kind of resembles younger Pascal Siakam.

First step is getting him to fit into a bench role, but right now it's hard to project him past that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Earl Watson coaching this team? :( :o :cry:
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:17 pm
Feels like it. Not much ball movement. Confusion on offense. Players out of control. Keeping the ball out of their best players hands. Probably yoga at halftime…

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Jalen Smith is a bust. I'm calling, time of death.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Suns lose despite shooting 24%…

Stix 5-15 with 15 rebounds. But don’t let that fool ya the Jazz only shot 35%. There were plenty of rebounds to go around.

Stix was an absolute mess out there. I’d probably look to move him because it’s going to take a few years for him to develop if he ever does. He just doesn’t look comfortable or confident.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

He looked lost. He floated. He does not look like an NBA player, and certainly not like a first round pick or anything close to being a rotational backup 4 any time soon.

Tyshon showed some great moments though

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

djy2j wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Feels like it. Not much ball movement. Confusion on offense. Players out of control. Keeping the ball out of their best players hands. Probably yoga at halftime…
Who’s their best player?

Or are we calling someone the best player based off draft status and not actually on production?

Are you referring to Alexander?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What was James Jones thinking?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:14 pm
djy2j wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Who’s their best player?

Or are we calling someone the best player based off draft status and not actually on production?

Are you referring to Alexander?
Stix and Alexander based on having actual NBA contracts I guess. I don’t understand not starting Tyshon he looked ok-ish when he was out there.

None of the other players having any business shooting a basketball.
Last edited by djy2j on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Smith’s problem is he doesn’t have a single definable NBA skill.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:20 pm
Smith’s problem is he doesn’t have a single definable NBA skill.
His goggles game is next level.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, gotta admit. These games aren’t boosting Stix’ standing.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was one painful game to watch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:17 pm
That was one painful game to watch.
I feel like Alec Guinness in Star Wars. “These aren’t the Suns you’re looking for.”
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Stix is a 5. He should be screening up top and diving to the rim or popping. The 4 in our system usually just flares out to the corner and waits to shoot. So we're not taking advantage of any of his size, quickness or athleticism. They either need to play him at the 5 or move him because playing him like he's Jae or Cam is hurting everyone involved.

And whoever put this SL together should've thrown at least 1 solid PG on the roster who can set guys up. They just threw together a bunch of undersized SGs from overseas.

I like what I've been seeing from Ty-Shon tho. He looks bigger and stronger and his midrange jumper seems steady. Looks a little like Raja out there.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:35 am
Stix is a 5. He should be screening up top and diving to the rim or popping. The 4 in our system usually just flares out to the corner and waits to shoot. So we're not taking advantage of any of his size, quickness or athleticism. They either need to play him at the 5 or move him because playing him like he's Jae or Cam is hurting everyone involved.
I agree that he's a 5 for a SL team, but what does it matter if he's practicing a role he's not likely to compete for in November? He's competing with Cam Johnson for minutes and the backup 4 role is the development plan he's on right now. My hope is that he's a backup 4 with smallball 5 upside by next April.

There's a lot going against him right now. He's clearly not going to be really good anytime soon and he'll probably never leading the league in anything.

He was drafted for his size, shooting skill and coachability. I think it's OK to still be optimistic about Smith's development. For some context, Cam Johnson is 4 years older than Jalen Smith who just had his first legal drink this past March. With the veterans on this roster and a seemingly strong culture, it's going to be hard for him to truly fail.

The problem is a few similar guys selected after him have looked significantly better so far, and I don't think the Suns would hesitate to include Smith in a trade for a more dependable veteran.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm not even convinced he can't be good soon. But you can't tell a guy to go out there and hoop and then play him out of position doing things he's not used to. I get that's part of the point of SL, but let's have him establish what he's good at first and then work on the other things. I don't think there's much of a competition with Cam as the backup 4 and you can legitimately have 5 three point shooters out there if Stix is the backup 5 next to Cam at the 4. Yea we have McGee this year, but Stix could still see time against smaller 5 that McGee has trouble with.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm still a Stix fan. I really hope we carve out a role for him or trade him somewhere that has a big role in mind and we get a more useful piece back. I fell asleep early last night so missed the game. Alexander looked good?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!