Around the League: Preseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Preseason

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:20 pm
Ben Simmons is an asshole. I want nothing to do with him on the Suns, not that it's something to worry about.
I don't think you ever have to worry about him on the Suns, while he's a Klutch client, a problem in the locker room and can't shoot. None of those things scream Sarver and James Jones.
'Scream' and 'Sarver' seem to appear often together in sentences. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ben Simmons has made it pretty clear that as long as he has his guaranteed $30M/yr, he’s going to sabotage whoever is paying it to him. I think the Sixers are stuck with him, because anybody else would be crazy to trade for that contract.

The one possible exception is Brooklyn, who have almost as bad of a situation with Kyrie.

Just send him home. I realize that’s a hell of a lot of money to eat, but if it’s a choice between paying him to do nothing or paying him to sabotage the team, I’d rather pay him to do nothing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I might be the only one on this site that is kind of in his camp. I mean he is still a pouting baby, but his team pretty publicly said they didn't want him and needed to trade him. Then when they couldn't get as much as they'd hoped (idiots lowered his value by basically announcing they were shopping him), they said, never mind. Come back and play! But just play long enough to increase your value so we can trade you.

Anyone would be pissed off at your employer for that. He is just handling it about as bad as they did.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Important message to DA: Simmons is not a role model! You may be pissed at Sarver, but the best thing you can do for yourself, your teammates, and your fans is to have the best season you can, then let the chips fall where they will next summer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:03 pm
I might be the only one on this site that is kind of in his camp. I mean he is still a pouting baby, but his team pretty publicly said they didn't want him and needed to trade him. Then when they couldn't get as much as they'd hoped (idiots lowered his value by basically announcing they were shopping him), they said, never mind. Come back and play! But just play long enough to increase your value so we can trade you.

Anyone would be pissed off at your employer for that. He is just handling it about as bad as they did.
Shades of the end of Markieff Morris' tenure here.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:

There's some truth in that. They tried to trade him for James Harden, but I think it's fairly petty to be upset about being traded for a recent MVP. That's more 'just business' than 'we don't like you', IMO.

Simmons is to blame before anyone else in this situation because he's routinely not shown to be committed to developing his skills, yet he's on a max contract and insists on playing point guard.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Meanwhile Kings always have to get in the mix

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Important message to DA: Simmons is not a role model! You may be pissed at Sarver, but the best thing you can do for yourself, your teammates, and your fans is to have the best season you can, then let the chips fall where they will next summer.
He certainly can't show more doubt about the max. He really has no choice but to bring it. I'm hoping to see him add a little anger to his game as well.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:19 pm

They deserve what they get for drafting him. Inexplicable.
Last edited by Cap on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:

Could be worse!
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

bajanguy008 wrote:

I don't know.. I think Bagley has had a number of chances to show that he deserves to be a core piece of their roster, and he's either been mediocre on the court or sitting on the bench nursing injuries.

He probably had some value a year ago, but I don't blame them for trying to figure it out because they were clearly trying to develop their roster.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:18 pm
Indy wrote:

There's some truth in that. They tried to trade him for James Harden, but I think it's fairly petty to be upset about being traded for a recent MVP. That's more 'just business' than 'we don't like you', IMO.

Simmons is to blame before anyone else in this situation because he's routinely not shown to be committed to developing his skills, yet he's on a max contract and insists on playing point guard.
From his perspective, they paid him the max knowing what his highs and lows are. Asking him to be something else, then getting upset he can't do that, then telling him he is the problem, was a stupid way to handle it.

Again, he is being a baby about it all
...which isn't typical of Australians. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think developing a reliable jump shot is asking him to be something else when he insists on dominating the ball from the perimeter.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

There’s an uncomfortable level of hero worship, individualism and power tripping over here .. guys like Tomic, Kyrgios and Simmons would never have existed 20 years ago, but now they do.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:35 pm
From his perspective, they paid him the max knowing what his highs and lows are. Asking him to be something else, then getting upset he can't do that, then telling him he is the problem, was a stupid way to handle it.
Sounds very close to what could happen with Ayton.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:23 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:

I don't know.. I think Bagley has had a number of chances to show that he deserves to be a core piece of their roster, and he's either been mediocre on the court or sitting on the bench nursing injuries.

He probably had some value a year ago, but I don't blame them for trying to figure it out because they were clearly trying to develop their roster.
I’d trade Stix for him.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:33 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

I’d trade Stix for him.
Without considering other variables like contract and age, I might agree. But I'd rather give Smith a season to show what he can do because I'm not convinced he'll be worse than Bagley in the long run.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:03 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:35 pm
Sounds very close to what could happen with Ayton.
I was very careful with my wording.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I never thought Simmons was the problem in Philly, rather the Sixers screwed up the entire situation start to finish. It's a bit unfair to criticize Simmons for being what he is. Some guys, for the most part, are what they are. You could lock Ricky Rubio in a gym for the rest of his life taking jumpers and he still won't come close to looking like Chris Paul. Instead of taking advantage of his size, athleticism, passing and defense at the PG position, they obsessed on his jumper. They've drafted poorly, made poor trades and FA decisions that only made Simmons' weaknesses look worse.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:38 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:33 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

I’d trade Stix for him.
Without considering other variables like contract and age, I might agree. But I'd rather give Smith a season to show what he can do because I'm not convinced he'll be worse than Bagley in the long run.
Bagley hasn’t been great, but he’s not as bad as people here are making him out to be. He’s got 20/10 potential, and even if his D sucks, that has value and the D can be worked on.