Suns Sign Bridges to Extension

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Suns Sign Bridges to Extension

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Re: Suns Sign Bridges to Extension

Post by ShelC »

Really good and fair number IMO. I honestly didn't think he'd go anywhere and thought there was a deal either close or just ready to be announced.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Very happy with this deal. Bridges deserves the money assuming he keeps working hard and getting better. If anything this is a slight underpay relative to what he might have fetched on the open market. Glad he wanted to stay here and that they got the deal done. I'm reading that the deal is probably fully guaranteed, making Bridges the current Sun locked up for the most years.

Now, of course, we wait to see if anything gets done with DeAndre Ayton. Here's hoping.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes! The Ayton signing can't be far behind.

And man, talk about life changing money. Congrats to Mikal.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s a good deal for the Suns. He’d get more next offseason. I was expecting 4/100. Hopefully Ayton is next

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mikal is a great guy and somebody I really like rooting for. It makes me really happy that he's going to be here for years to come. I feel like with Booker, Bridges, and (knock on wood) Ayton as a core, we can be a good team for a long time. I will especially feel that way if we're able to keep some of our other pieces like Cam Johnson and Landry Shamet.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I couldn't be happier with this contract for Mikal assuming he's going to continue improving over the length of the deal.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Awesomeness!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

This is awesome!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

pickle

Post by pickle »

That means no deal for Ayton I assume? I guess I can live with that, long as we don't fracture that relationship.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

This is a great deal. He was getting at minimum 4/$100 in FA next year and definitely doesn't seem to be the type that will slack off once he gets paid.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:36 pm
That means no deal for Ayton I assume? I guess I can live with that, long as we don't fracture that relationship.
I wouldn’t make that assumption as the deadline isn’t until tomorrow.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

You are right, but I also remember somebody mentioning that they were probably trying to get both deals done to announce them together, and that makes sense to me. Let's see if Ayton will budge a bit from his full max request (according to what I've read). I guess if we really aren't offering even the basic max then something is seriously wrong.

Don't mind him playing with more urgency and aggressiveness to prove to the Suns that he's worth that super max.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:35 pm
You are right, but I also remember somebody mentioning that they were probably trying to get both deals done to announce them together, and that makes sense to me. Let's see if Ayton will budge a bit from his full max request (according to what I've read). I guess if we really aren't offering even the basic max then something is seriously wrong.

Don't mind him playing with more urgency and aggressiveness to prove to the Suns that he's worth that super max.
I don't either but I also don't want to hear about it all year long.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I need a DA max agreement to be able to fully appreciate this. It’s a good deal. If Mikal doesn’t improve offensively he’s a bit overpaid. If he improves it’s great for the Suns

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:35 pm

This is what I was thinking, too. If they could have announced both at the same time, they would have. It feels like this was done a while ago, and they were just waiting to announce it. I mean, Bridges said like 9 times "I want to be here" in the last 2 days. You don't say that when your agent is negotiating a deal. You don't tell the car dealership you really love this car and want to buy it right now during negotiations.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 pm
I need a DA max agreement to be able to fully appreciate this. It’s a good deal. If Mikal doesn’t improve offensively he’s a bit overpaid. If he improves it’s great for the Suns
Which is the same situation with Ayton. If he signs the standard max extension but doesn't improve offensively, he'll be overpaid and taking up a bigger slice the salary cap.

No one in the Suns front office has forgotten about the rollercoaster that has been Ayton's development so far. He showed up massively when a lot of us didn't expect him to be much different from his typical mid-season self. That was obviously great in the moment, but it's a bit of a red flag right now.

Teams have been devastated by making the wrong decision in these situations so many times. As uncomfortable as it is right now, this is still better than something like what went down with the Timberwolves and Andrew Wiggins. The owner basically got a pinky promise from Wiggins that he would play better and signed him to a 5yr./$150M max. That essentially crippled their roster construction once the next season came around and he was clearly still the same player.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:29 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 pm
Which is the same situation with Ayton. If he signs the standard max extension but doesn't improve offensively, he'll be overpaid and taking up a bigger slice the salary cap.

No one in the Suns front office has forgotten about the rollercoaster that has been Ayton's development so far. He showed up massively when a lot of us didn't expect him to be much different from his typical mid-season self. That was obviously great in the moment, but it's a bit of a red flag right now.

Teams have been devastated by making the wrong decision in these situations so many times. As uncomfortable as it is right now, this is still better than something like what went down with the Timberwolves and Andrew Wiggins. The owner basically got a pinky promise from Wiggins that he would play better and signed him to a 5yr./$150M max. That essentially crippled their roster construction once the next season came around and he was clearly still the same player.
We should be able to give a Double heart, post like this deserve it. 100% on target.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The difference in that little scenario is that Andrew Wiggins has never really been very good. I seriously doubt he'll ever be All-Star caliber.

We're just waiting for Ayton to assert himself offensively. He's already shown he has offensive skills, and he's already an excellent rebounder and defender. Wiggins doesn't really proficient at anything.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695