Suns Sign Bridges to Extension

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: Suns Sign Bridges to Extension

Post by pickle »

Both seem to have an underwhelming motor, Wiggins on D and Ayton on O, so they do share that… I cringe a little when he constantly works on that Hakeem fade rather than footwork that will allow him to get closer to the basket.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Except that Ayton's offense is still a positive because he's so efficient. I don't care where he's shooting from if he's shooting from is he's shooting 63%. I just want him taking more of those shots.
'
The point is - all three of Ayton's seasons are already far better than any of Wiggins'.

I think a fairer comparison is Bam Adebayo, who signed a five year, rookie maximum extension, all of which is guaranteed, after his team made a trip to the Finals after having a regular season with numbers very similar to Ayton - 55.7% FG%, 10.2 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 15.9 points
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah I think Bam is a solid comparison, but some would say he's a more impactful player, with his playmaking ability on offense.

Don't think Ayton is the same kind of player as Wiggins, but I'd say his rookie season wasn't that good, even if the numbers were decent. Wiggins had multiple 20 point seasons too and had a decent impact on the Warriors' final record last year.

I do worry that Ayton doesn't always turn it on with his offense. But this is not even an Ayton thread, so I won't get into it any further.

Super happy for Mikal, both that he got the security and we locked up a core piece with further growth potential.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya the 5 assists a game for Bam is the separator. Ayton is very efficient, but he still mostly needs his shots created for him. Bam can get his own shot and can create shots for his teammates. Bam is a little more versatile defensively as well, although I’d say Ayton is a better overall paint defender.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Love seeing Bridges sign on the dotted line. He's one of my favorite Suns, so I'm really happy he loves being here and that the team values him and has kept him here. Pretty amazing if you think back to all the SFs we've had here recently: Josh Jackson, TJ Warren, Bridges, Kelly Oubre, Trevor Ariza, Bridges, etc. Bridges has proven to be the best of the bunch.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Still have a bit of a soft spot for TJ.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 pm
That is fitting because he seems to have them all over his body.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Lol yeah... his injury healing issues are so strange...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:22 pm
pickle wrote:
Especially his head! :D
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:22 pm
pickle wrote:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm now commenting here so you guys will understand how my last few days have been

Obviously I'm happy and I'm sure none will be surprised to hear me not be concerned about him improving on O. I made regular comments last season about usage rate and how just running a couple sets for Mikal could easily eliminate those single digit games everyone used to cringe at.

One of my Suns analyst folk was singing the praises to the film guys/ assistants who would have addressed all the opportunities Mikal and Cam have to attack close outs.

I look forward to continuing to assess "Zero Hesitation Mikal" and "Off the Dribble Cam" which were focal points I kept looking at 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

pickle

Post by pickle »

Not to hijack the Mikal celebration thread again but I have very high hopes for Cam. He's the perfect modern role player and I hope we can lock him down to a reasonable extension ASAP. Before he becomes a starter and gets real exposure and commands Mikal money. I know that's not being fair to him, but I really want that championship really really bad.