Game Day: Nuggets (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/20/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Nuggets (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/20/21

Post by Superbone »

Like I said, it was a bummer. A let down to start the season. Just seemed like the Nuggets wanted it more than us. They had that late streak where it seemed like they couldn't miss from 3 and that was that. I hope to see more fire from the team soon. They're not used to playing with a target on their backs.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:08 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 am
I think Monty may have to decide how much he leans on his bench early on. He probably should've stuck with Shamet and CamJ last night at times over Book and Jae. Book's going to need some games to work himself back up to speed and I think Jae is a guy we should be pulling back a bit on regardless because of all the games and minutes he's seen over the past two years. CP looks great but you also don't want to burn him out early. Payne needs to prove he can consistently keep the group together running the offense.
Book was missing a ton of shots during his normal warm up routines, too. His 3s during that were falling pretty good, but not closer in.

Side note--DA's threes during his pre-game routines were going in a lot. He has this really slow, mechanical motion, where he grabs the ball, rotates it a bit in his hand (and brings it down a bit before bringing it up to shoot), but they were falling. I think he rushes it during games so it looks flatter and not as likely to go in. He just needs to keep practicing it if he isn't going to be that force in the paint.
It doesn't have to be one or the other (threes vs. paint). It seems like he's mainly shooting threes when he gets the ball near the top of the key and the defense leaves him open. Before, he would just stand there and wait for someone to hand the ball off to. Now he's decided that if they're not going to guard him out there, he'll just put up the shot.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:36 am
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I think Monty may have to decide how much he leans on his bench early on. He probably should've stuck with Shamet and CamJ last night at times over Book and Jae. Book's going to need some games to work himself back up to speed and I think Jae is a guy we should be pulling back a bit on regardless because of all the games and minutes he's seen over the past two years. CP looks great but you also don't want to burn him out early. Payne needs to prove he can consistently keep the group together running the offense.
Book was missing a ton of shots during his normal warm up routines, too. His 3s during that were falling pretty good, but not closer in.

Side note--DA's threes during his pre-game routines were going in a lot. He has this really slow, mechanical motion, where he grabs the ball, rotates it a bit in his hand (and brings it down a bit before bringing it up to shoot), but they were falling. I think he rushes it during games so it looks flatter and not as likely to go in. He just needs to keep practicing it if he isn't going to be that force in the paint.
It doesn't have to be one or the other (threes vs. paint). It seems like he's mainly shooting threes when he gets the ball near the top of the key and the defense leaves him open. Before, he would just stand there and wait for someone to hand the ball off to. Now he's decided that if they're not going to guard him out there, he'll just put up the shot.
i wasn't saying he should just stay out there. I was saying that if he is going to be really valuable to our team, he needs to be a top 3 threat on offense. And if his paint touches are going to be fade aways and layups, he better expand his 3 pt game to make up for that.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

My record when not watching live and just waiting a couple hours after when work gets quiet wasn't good at all in the postseason :?
Not a good start to this routine
Another can't wait to watch the playback then to be irritable the rest of my shift smh

No surprise we went to DA early, the dribble into the right fading pull-up was pretty smooth. 1st quarter on the whole wasn't too good which didn't even bother me because that was our thing last year too and on cue the bench mob came on and changed things.
Shamet first shift was very impressive, he basically got the team going. I had a smirk on my face after our big run like "Yea that's what championship level teams do"

Really thought we were gonna cruise the rest of the way then the end of the 1st half was so poor which end up being a precursor

DA did his thing, CP3 was solid and really liked Shamet's play

I think we had a couple Bad JaVale moments trying to make a play and energize the team/crowd

Mikal effort to attack off the dribble is quite obvious. Still a work in progress but I see the numbers adding up.

I actually was not too happy with Cam J most of the game, he had some mental lapses and I was wondering where his head was at

Book wasn't at the races
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh right and Aaron Gordon tough guy thing is quite annoying
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The DA points by quarter stat game me some deja vu.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

DA looked great to start the game. I thought he was on his way to a 30+ point game at that rate. Book not in form yet. Suns just missed a ton of shots and Denver didn’t. I think Denver clearly wanted this game more than the Suns. I can see why they would have circled this game on the calendar since we swept them in the playoffs and embarrassed them. Game 1 of 82? For some reason I thought we might see a Stix sighting.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:52 am
The DA points by quarter stat game me some deja vu.
That's been the pattern,right? Strong first half. Middling 2nd?
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:

I feel like if DA truly wants to become a perimeter threat, he needs to rework that shot. What he does now is to keep defenses honest enough that they don't defend him like they do Draymond when he's at the top of the circle and not setting a pick. In addition to that slow windup you mentioned, I feel like DA leans a tiny bit to his left when he shoots. Gotta clean that up.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I really wanted Jeff Green this summer, FWIW... perfect modern role player.